Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sunbathing, Swimming Naked

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

Dirty pigs, put it away :))

• Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭Paulownia

Sauna I'd be quite happy to do but for some reason the Jacuzzi with a bunch of nudes would put me off.
    Would they have been mixed?

Would it matter, you needn't touch them, in fact they don't touch generally

• Closed Accounts Posts: 832 ✭✭✭HamsterFace

Paulownia wrote: »
    Would it matter, you needn't touch them, in fact they don't touch generally

No I know it wouldn't, just the thought of someones dirty arse bubbling away next to me!

What may be putting me off is a dirty bastard in a gym I used to go to who would come straight from the sauna dripping in sweat and jump into the Jacuzzi

Was at a nudist beach once. Loads of people naked. Wasn't brave enough to go naked, so just lowered my shorts slightly.

Thank f*ck I didn't, because I ended up getting sunburned all down the exposed parts. A sunburned hooha probably wouldn't be much fun.

Was at a nudist beach once. Loads of people naked. Wasn't brave enough to go naked, so just lowered my shorts slightly.

Thank f*ck I didn't, because I ended up getting sunburned all down the exposed parts. A sunburned hooha probably wouldn't be much fun.

Use lots of sun block and you'll be grand and it's fun applying it too

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,977 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

No I know it wouldn't, just the thought of someones dirty arse bubbling away next to me!

What may be putting me off is a dirty bastard in a gym I used to go to who would come straight from the sauna dripping in sweat and jump into the Jacuzzi

I don't understand how wearing a swimsuit is different to being naked in this situation.

Also if this guy had a quick shower after the sauna, he is still sweating when he gets in the jacuzzi. It doesn't stop that quickly. And the jacuzzi is hot so you, him and everyone else are sweating in it any way. Naked or swimsuit doesn't make a difference. There is no hygiene issue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 832 ✭✭✭HamsterFace

Yeah_Right wrote: »
    I don't understand how wearing a swimsuit is different to being naked in this situation.

Also if this guy had a quick shower after the sauna, he is still sweating when he gets in the jacuzzi. It doesn't stop that quickly. And the jacuzzi is hot so you, him and everyone else are sweating in it any way. Naked or swimsuit doesn't make a difference. There is no hygiene issue.

It's well beyond good etiquette

Paulownia wrote: »
    Use lots of sun block and you'll be grand and it's fun applying it too

It's like yanking it after a pee - there's a certain limit before it just becomes masturbation. I assume that it's a much finer line with this :pac:

It's like yanking it after a pee - there's a certain limit before it just becomes masturbation. I assume that it's a much finer line with this :pac:

More public too but everyone else does it as well

• Registered Users Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭Westernyelp

Paulownia wrote:
    More public too but everyone else does it as well

That may be very specific type of beach you have been visiting. Not standard practice.

• Advertisement

That may be very specific type of beach you have been visiting. Not standard practice.

What, I often see people putting on sunblock😀

• Registered Users Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭Westernyelp

Paulownia wrote:
    What, I often see people putting on sunblock😀

Of course. But usually not in such a leisurely and gleeful fashion as you portray!

Of course. But usually not in such a leisurely and gleeful fashion as you portray!

Poor you, going to the wrong beaches, I always apply it carefully to avoid getting it mixed up with the sand!

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,731 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

Well, my partner and I are planning on staying at a naturist resort in Spain in the spring of next year. It will be a mixed resort with many couples but not a gay exclusive resort as they seem to have gone downhill lately and some appear to have become very seedy and cruisey which is NOT what we are looking for. But that's what some people are into and yes, I have gone to such resorts in the past and have no shame about it.

Just being able to swim and sunbathe naked will mean great freedom and it is adjacent to a naturist beach. People of all kinds will be enjoying the sun au naturel. I understand that this is certainly not for everyone but IMO everyone should try it.

Last year I stayed at a naturist resort and met a lot of really friendly, interesting people. Lots of Germans, Scandinavians and not as many Irish and English. One guest was a senior English police officer who holidays in nude resorts with his wife and was so decent and friendly. Not sure he tells his colleagues back home where he holidays but I'd say in 2017 most wouldn't bat an eyelid.

You do get pervy single men at some of these beaches but the hotels tend to try to exclude them. Proper order. We are there to enjoy taking in the sun and swimming in complete freedom, not to be ogled at.

Looking forward already to the holiday! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 310 ✭✭OnDraught

JupiterKid wrote: »
    Well, Im gay. And I go to gay resorts. Did you know that there's a place in Dalkey where you can swim in the Irish Sea in the nude?

I discovered this place when I scouted it as a decent spot for some bass fishing during the winter. Went back down them steps in the spring and got the fright of my life. Fair play to them auld lads and auld ones. It wasn't even that warm!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,373 ✭✭✭corner of hells

OnDraught wrote: »
    Well, Im gay. And I go to gay resorts. Did you know that there's a place in Dalkey where you can swim in the Irish Sea in the nude?

I discovered this place when I scouted it as a decent spot for some bass fishing during the winter. Went back down them steps in the spring and got the fright of my life. Fair play to them auld lads and auld ones. It wasn't even that warm!

Just be careful with your beachcaster.

• Registered Users Posts: 613 ✭✭✭carolmon

OnDraught wrote: »

I swim there all the time....it's great for a quick dip off the rocks straight into deep water, no messy sand and no gangs of teens with the boom box :)

When you swim out a bit the views are just amazing....... Sorrento terrace to the north and the sugar loaf mountain to the south, just stunning.

I wear a swimsuit cos I think in Ireland we're still a bit weird about public nudity, so I wouldn't feel comfortable skinny dipping here, I have tho done it in more isolated parts of Ireland where there's no chance of anybody being offended, and also abroad where nobody bats an eyelid.

I love the freedom of swimming naked, anybody who hasn't tried it I'd encourage you to find a little private spot and give it a try, it's amazing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 162 ✭✭Prune Tracy

Shenshen wrote: »
    And yes, I always sleep naked. Why would you wear anything in bed?
    And my view is... why wouldn't you wear anything in bed? (Apart from sexy time obviously).

I don't understand stuff like "clothes are restricting" - wtf?! :D

When women express their joy at throwing their bra off when they get home, I can't relate at all. I think it's more uncomfortable to be braless. I even wear my bra in bed sometimes. Even when it's very warm I'm more comfortable having my underwear on for a night's sleep.

Naturism doesn't seem appealing to me at all. I'm a private person in that regard (it has utterly nothing to do with being prudish and having hang-ups, as alluded to on this thread by people who think they're so open-minded and then they just cancel all that out with those judgemental remarks :) - and, yet again, it is not just an Irish thing! It's usually too cold here anyway).

Nothing I've read here makes me think "Wow, sounds amazing!" - "it's freeing" is about the only thing it seems to have going for it. Yeah I don't get what's so brilliant about that. Just seems like a hassle for a (in my opinion) vague reason. Wearing a swimsuit is perfectly fine and no problem - not the ordeal some are making out! :D

But others love it - so enjoy.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,957 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

And my view is... why wouldn't you wear anything in bed? (Apart from sexy time obviously).

I don't understand stuff like "clothes are restricting" - wtf?! :D

When women express their joy at throwing their bra off when they get home, I can't relate at all. I think it's more uncomfortable to be braless. I even wear my bra in bed sometimes.

Naturism doesn't seem appealing to me at all. I'm a private person in that regard (it has utterly nothing to do with being prudish and having hang-ups, as alluded to on this thread by people who think they're so open-minded and then they just cancel all that out with those judgemental remarks :) - and, yet again, it is not just an Irish thing! It's usually too cold here anyway).

Nothing I've read here makes me think "Wow, sounds amazing!" - "it's freeing" is about the only thing it seems to have going for it. Yeah I don't get what's so brilliant about that. Just seems like a hassle for a (in my opinion) vague reason. Wearing a swimsuit is perfectly fine and no problem - not the ordeal some are making out! :D

But others love it - so enjoy.

Hung up, repressed prude!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,252 ✭✭✭FTA69

Honestly why is it so much more liberating to not have a pair of togs on weighing a few grams and covering a tiny proportion of your body?

• Advertisement

I really don't get the way so many Irish and English people are so hung up about nudity.
    Once in a sauna in Austria I was alone and nude when a group of English lads came in. One of them peeked in the window of the sauna and loudly declared with disgust that there was a nude guy in the sauna. Maybe he thought nude people can't hear. They hung around outside until I decided to leave.
    The following night a mixed group came in and luckily one of the guys saved the woman, in the nick of time from seeing a naked man. "Don't come in, there's a naked man!"

WTF is the problem?
    It's a sauna (and the owner of the hotel clearly explained that if people were uncomfortable, they could wear swimwear but that the sauna was a nude sauna as is the norm)!

• Registered Users Posts: 33,330 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Never understood the traditional aversion some people have to seeing willies or boobies at a swimmiing pool. My friends have 3yo twins with more mature attitudes than some of the posters here!!

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

FTA69 wrote: »
    Honestly why is it so much more liberating to not have a pair of togs on weighing a few grams and covering a tiny proportion of your body?

Recently bought a house with a swimming pool (thinly veiled I have a swimming pool post). After a month or two I was swimming at night and said, sure feck it. Off with the shorts and I was a changed man. It's amazing the difference it makes even if that sounds ridiculous.

Having said that I'd only do it in the privacy of my home. I've no interest getting my enormous donkey cock out in public.

I really don't get the way so many Irish and English people are so hung up about nudity.
    So you and others keep saying but I think you actually do get it really. Not everyone wants to see others in the nip. It's not being hung up and it's not just Irish and English people. It's just not something people want to see unless it's their partner. Some people prefer to keep it private and intimate, which is no better or worse than enjoying naturism.
    Never understood the traditional aversion some people have to seeing willies or boobies at a swimmiing pool. My friends have 3yo twins with more mature attitudes than some of the posters here!!
    You are so much more sophisticated and better than others obviously. Where are the attitudes you're talking about anyway? In these discussions people are so feverishly anticipating "immature" attitudes that they see them when they aren't there.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,330 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

FTA69 wrote: »

You'e obviously never tried it. The novelty of having cold sheets of wet fabric sticking to your thighs as you walk up the back the beach wears off after a while.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,394 ✭✭✭Pac1Man

The novelty of having cold sheets of wet fabric sticking to your thighs as you walk up the back the beach wears off after a while.

The novelty of constantly dodging a swinging panther tale who had suddenly developed a personality of it's own wears thin too.

You'e obviously never tried it. The novelty of having cold sheets of wet fabric sticking to your thighs as you walk up the back the beach wears off after a while.
    For many of us it's reeeeeeeeeeeally not an issue though. For others however, obviously they are very sensitive to clothes.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

There’s nothing as unattractive looking as the exterior male reproductive organs in my opinion but whatever rocks your boat.
    If you want to go to a private club and relax with others of like mind then it’s got nothing to do with me, as long as you keep your nakedness within the confines of the private club.

So you and others keep saying but I think you actually do get it really. Not everyone wants to see others in the nip. It's not being hung up and it's not just Irish and English people. It's just not something people want to see unless it's their partner. .

Having an aversion to seeing someone's naked body is being hung up about nudity. It just is.

Is it a crime? No.
    Does it make you a bad person? No.
    Is it a hang up? Yes

Probably not just Irish and English, probably USA people too. I can think of many cultures where intersex nudity is not acceptable but where it's fine in single sex settings.

I really can't think of any culture as hung up about nudity as Ireland, England and USA.
    (no doubt, there's are some, though)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭Malayalam

I never go nude in public but every single chance I get to sunbathe nude at home I take it. I live very remote, no one about to be shaken. It's awesome and sets me up with oceans of vitamin D for the rest of the grey and drizzly year.

Advertisement