Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ivan Yates

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

Don't get the vitriol towards him to be honest. He was in business and employed a lot of people, made some bad decisions and the business failed. He owed the banks some money and offered them a 92% return and they refused, he had no choice to go bankrupt. I'd say most in here would do exactly the same thing if put in his position.

Well, get this. He owned a chain of bookies that went bust. What did he do? he fcuked off to Wales to live a "terribly lonely" life there for a year so that he could give the 2 fingers to his creditors. And what about his staff? They did'nt get a red rex from him. He did what every coward does, ran away.:mad::mad::mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

I genuinely think that some people actually go out of their way just to not like somebody in the public eye.

• Site Banned Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭XR3i

I genuinely think that some people actually go out of their way just to not like somebody in the public eye.

genuinely?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,549 ✭✭✭maryishere

. And what about his staff? They did'nt get a red rex from him.

Did the staff not get redundany payments from the receiver to the business?

And Yates went bankrupt, so how was he supposed to give his ex staff red rexes beyond that?

He took a big risk going in to business, he lost all his assets in the bankruptcy I assume.

I'm sure if he was to live his life again since retiring from politics he would not have set up his bookmakers business. If nobody dared to set up a business in Ireland, what sort of place would it be?
    The begrudgers here probably created nothing in their lives.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

Or maybe people simply don't like him and haven't went out of there way to not like him they just simply don't like him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Far too opinionated for me. Really dislike his 'let me tell you how it is attitude'. Prefer my news to be delivered with a semblance of neutrality

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

mattser wrote: »
    I'll be glad to hear the back of his inane rubbish in the mornings.

You know you could change channel to avoid listening to people you dislike instead of waiting for them to leave the radio station?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Can they take Chris with them? He's obnoxious !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

maryishere wrote: »
    Did the staff not get redundany payments from the receiver to the business?

And Yates went bankrupt, so how was he supposed to give his ex staff red rexes beyond that?

He took a big risk going in to business, he lost all his assets in the bankruptcy I assume.

I'm sure if he was to live his life again since retiring from politics he would not have set up his bookmakers business. If nobody dared to set up a business in Ireland, what sort of place would it be?
    The begrudgers here probably created nothing in their lives.

He has a big fat ministerial pension to support him and spouse. Then he lands at Newstalk on a €100k +salary. For a man that preached morals during his life, he came up very short on that score when his business blew up. All he was concerned with was how fast he could get out of the country.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,228 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

I think the pension is in the control of the bank, and from what I remember, when his mother dies, they take the family home and farm. In which she has "her day".
    So not like it's all rosy in the garden, and a jolly jaunt abroad.
    Not too many would like to swop places with that....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 907 ✭✭✭foxtrot101

Nekarsulm wrote: »
    I think the pension is in the control of the bank, and from what I remember, when his mother dies, they take the family home and farm. In which she has "her day".
    So not like it's all rosy in the garden, and a jolly jaunt abroad.
    Not too many would like to swop places with that....

No, I think the pension is one thing that can't be touched.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,807 ✭✭✭take everything

I can't understand how people think Yates is/was a good media commentator.
    Anything he writes in the Indo or says on Newstalk (the banks etc) is very often coloured by his own experience with the banks. And he doesn't even mention this conflict of interest when commenting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 848 ✭✭✭Superhorse

He has a big fat ministerial pension to support him and spouse. Then he lands at Newstalk on a €100k +salary. For a man that preached morals during his life, he came up very short on that score when his business blew up. All he was concerned with was how fast he could get out of the country.
    And left the taxpayer on the hook whilst preaching to us from his desk in newstalk about austerity etc... Won't be missed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,603 ✭✭✭baldbear

mansize wrote: »
    Debts to AIB to be written off- that's more costs to the Irish Taxpayers

Aib received a huge bailout so why should Yates not get a deal? He's losing his family home too so they are bot exactly getting away scot free.

The banks wanted to make an example of Ivan Yates a high profile individual and its backfired.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭Baron Kurtz

Loving the Irish Ferries ads on this thread:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,393 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

I can't understand how people think Yates is/was a good media commentator.
    Anything he writes in the Indo or says on Newstalk (the banks etc) is very often coloured by his own experience with the banks. And he doesn't even mention this conflict of interest when commenting.

In fairness he's hardly made it a secret though either hes been consistently vocal about how he was treated by AIB.

Also looks like I was wrong earlier in the thread as hes denied the health reasons however going through the articles about the ruling I still don't see how this has anything to do with tax or liability as the banks pretty much own all of his and the wifes assets already, this ruling just cements the ownership.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭mattser

These select few in our TV and Radio should be put on tenure. 3 or 4 years, and away you go.

Make way for some of our brightest new talent instead of exiling them.

The elite have had it good for too long. Some, for a few hours a week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,681 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

From a quick scan of comments both here and elsewhere, there are a lot of people could do with educating themselves on what bankruptcy entails in advance, during, and afterwards.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭Keyzer

His political commentary is good (and as you would expect given his prior experience).

That said, his off the cuff comments, arrogant nature and constant schoolyard antics with Chris are tiring and, at times, unprofessional.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,432 ✭✭✭fergiesfolly

He mentioned on his radio programme this morning that he won't be going to Wales again.
    No other details were requested or offered.

I'm not his biggest fan, but I like his "dog with a bone" attitude when interviewing people. He's rarely fobbed off when asking the hard questions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,874 ✭✭✭Allinall

greendom wrote: »
    Far too opinionated for me. Really dislike his 'let me tell you how it is attitude'. Prefer my news to be delivered with a semblance of neutrality

Nice of you to give your opinion on how opinionated Yates is.

Ironic post is ironic.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,570 ✭✭✭HensVassal

Sand wrote: »
    They were bailed out to be able to deal with bad debts so no more cost than already paid. I'd rather the money was used for that purpose rather than simply kept by the bank themselves.

They were bailed out to compensate the shareholders who stood to face a loss on their toxic gamble and that cost was passed onto the public.
    You're only fooling yourself if you think there were altruistic reasons at play here. You've been robbed but don't want to face that fact.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Delighted to hear this. The guy is a relic of the 80s - coming out with the kind of sexist nonsense your embarrassing uncle does at a family gathering. Purported to speak with absolute authority on everything, despite clearly being thick as two planks. He was the main reason I stopped listening to newstalk, he was just so completely full of sh1t, all the time. A complete bore.

Between himself and Hook leaving, the airwaves will become altogether more pleasant and modern.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,471 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Between himself and Hook leaving, the airwaves will become altogether more pleasant and modern.[/quote]

Bland you mean.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭CFlat

seamus wrote: »
    Delighted to hear this. The guy is a relic of the 80s - coming out with the kind of sexist nonsense your embarrassing uncle does at a family gathering. Purported to speak with absolute authority on everything, despite clearly being thick as two planks. He was the main reason I stopped listening to newstalk, he was just so completely full of sh1t, all the time. A complete bore.

Between himself and Hook leaving, the airwaves will become altogether more pleasant and modern.

If you mean 'modern' as in broadcasters like Chris Donoghue and Shane Coleman coming up through the ranks, I'll take Yates and Hook any day of the week and twice on a Sunday.

kneemos wrote: »
    Bland you mean.
    Spouting off your opinion on things you haven't a clue about doesn't make you interesting.

It makes you boring.

Allinall wrote: »
    Nice of you to give your opinion on how opinionated Yates is.

Ironic post is ironic.

Well this is s forum for expressing one's opinion is it not. If Ivan were to post on here, spouting about Man City and the banks etc etc that would be fine.

I just don't like his opinion being stuffed down my throat when I want to hear the morning news.

Morning newsreaders should be impartial, or at least attempt to be.

Delighted to hear this. The guy is a relic of the 80s - coming out with the kind of sexist nonsense your embarrassing uncle does at a family gathering.

The sexist stuff was kinda quirky at the start, but got tiresome after a few weeks. It's now just...sad. I mean, every single story that involves women. Every one. You can almost hear the cogs whirring and clicking as he thinks of some "nudge nudge" type clunky line. He can't stop it. Imagine living with that every day. I wouldn't even mind if they were provocative, if it was some stance against feminism, they're just dull.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,681 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

Careful what you wish for, it will probably mean more Shane "Fianna Fail Uber Alles" Coleman...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,654 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Well this is s forum for expressing one's opinion is it not. If Ivan were to post on here, spouting about Man City and the banks etc etc that would be fine.

I just don't like his opinion being stuffed down my throat when I want to hear the morning news.

That would be fine if he were a newsreader, but he's not. He's the host of a morning chat show, it would be difficult (not to mention very boring) to try and do that without expressing an opinion one way or the other.

Having said that, I haven't listened to the Chris/Ivan show for years, the pair of them were borderline unlistenable-to for different reasons - I'll be delighted if there's a shake-up in that morning slot and there's a real alternative to Morning Ireland or (God help us all) Marty.

• Advertisement

He's not a newsreader so there's your problem right there. The show is a magazine show, Morning Ireland is the show you're looking for.

ThisRegard wrote: »
    He's not a newsreader so there's your problem right there. The show is a magazine show, Morning Ireland is the show you're looking for.

Morning Ireland sounds like the presenters relatives have just died and it's being broadcast from the morgue.

ThisRegard wrote: »

That's generally what I do listen to. Or Radio 4 to listen to how it really should be done!

Morning Ireland sounds like the presenters relatives have just died and it's being broadcast from the morgue.

It's what the poster wants though.

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    That would be fine if he were a newsreader, but he's not. He's the host of a morning chat show, it would be difficult (not to mention very boring) to try and do that without expressing an opinion one way or the other.

Having said that, I haven't listened to the Chris/Ivan show for years, the pair of them were borderline unlistenable-to for different reasons - I'll be delighted if there's a shake-up in that morning slot and there's a real alternative to Morning Ireland or (God help us all) Marty.

That's true. I think people with vested interests or experts that come on the show should be the opinion givers. Yates' role should be to interview and question from as neutral a position as he can. He's actually not too bad at interviewing I just don't want to hear his take on things.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

According to the Indo , he's going to the US for a year.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Eel the Kidd

Apparently he is leaving the country. Giving up his Newstalk post in July. Panama written all over it :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,393 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Apparently he is leaving the country. Giving up his Newstalk post in July. Panama written all over it :p

Its really not but don't let that stop the bandwagoning

The airwaves will be a far less interesting place without the likes of him and hooky on them. Did I always agree with them? no but im not shallow enough to only be able to listen to people with opinions I agree with 100% of the time.

Part of having opinions is being able to be secure in them enough you can defend them and not just want to silence anyone who disagrees with you.

• Registered Users Posts: 922 ✭✭✭trishasaffron

Sorry to hear he is leaving. I'll have to find something else to listen to. Can't stand ORRTE and even R4 newsreaders have become unnecessarily aggressive and grandstanding in interviews - trying to make themselves and the interview the story rather than the issue.

Chris is such a sanctimonious bore - a throwback to the 50s but with new "right on" opinions welded on. Can't stand the way he allows no one to "die" any more it's always "pass on". I nearly threw up last week when he couldn't even say "the cat died"...........his cats "pass on". I wonder what other world they are passing on to?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭timmy880

Started listening to Newstalk regularly when I changed jobs and had to drive to work. Out of the 2, it's Donoghue who I found to be more annoying in the mornings and I've no idea why... I feel like I cant get his stupid "ah here Ivan" voice out of my head once he starts to speak.

Yates was decent, especially talking about politics etc. the stuff he has first hand experience from. Obviously his casual sexism and blunt support of City could make him hard to stomach at times and he was a proper bell for pissing off to Wales when he did but I think Newstalk will be less interesting without him.

As for travelling for a year with the missus.. Bankruptcy doesn't sound too bad at all :) I can't even afford a weekend in London :D

CFlat wrote: »
    If you mean 'modern' as in broadcasters like Chris Donoghue and Shane Coleman coming up through the ranks, I'll take Yates and Hook any day of the week and twice on a Sunday.
    Never heard either of them tbh. Between Yates and Hook I stopped listening to NT years ago and switched to Today FM.

Dempsey is just a clown, he doesn't even pretend to have any clue what's going on, which makes it good entertainment, and Cooper knows how to interview people.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

I've only recently started tuning into Newstalk in the morning, probably in the last year. I've thoroughly enjoyed listening the Ivan Yates (and Chris) working through certain topics, thrashing it out amongst themselves and not afraid to ask tough questions. Heck, I think I've even heard thier opinions change.
    The one thing I wont miss is how Ivan calls Phil Thompson 'Thommo', it just doesn't sound right when it rolls off his tongue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,476 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

Boom_Bap wrote: »
    The one thing I wont miss is how Ivan calls Phil Thompson 'Thommo', it just doesn't sound right when it rolls off his tongue.

F*cking horrendous that "banter".

I didn't listen to him that much as my commute is short enough but he's a failed politician and a failed businessman, never thought he had much to offer.

Chris badgering a politician with the same question for minutes is cringworthy.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

Chris badgering a politician with the same question for minutes is cringworthy.
    I like that, because its normally a simple yes or no answer he is looking for and the politician starts with their deflective speil.
    Like this morning he has asking someone would they support the FF/FG governement and they just kept getting deflection back.

• Advertisement

Boom_Bap wrote: »
    I like that, because its normally a simple yes or no answer he is looking for and the politician starts with their deflective speil.
    Like this morning he has asking someone would they support the FF/FG governement and they just kept getting deflection back.

He did,but he said he wasn't going to answer several times and it was kinda obvious he wasn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭swimming in a sea

Yates I've found to be very good, I don't like the other guy but I suppose that is because he is playing the straight-man role.

When does Hook finish up? as maybe they plan to have Yates arrive back to take over that slot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,547 ✭✭✭Foxhound38

I quite like the banter and slagging between the two lads on the breakfast programme. Yeats was crap when he first got there years back, but he has really grown into the role of a broadcaster and I have to say he will be missed.

I remember once listening on my way to work and Yeats said to Chris "what are you buying for the valentines day gift? A can of whiskas?" - nearly crashed the car! :pac:

Yates I've found to be very good, I don't like the other guy but I suppose that is because he is playing the straight-man role.

When does Hook finish up? as maybe they plan to have Yates arrive back to take over that slot.

September I think Hook finishes.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

Ush1 wrote: »
    and a failed businessman, never thought he had much to offer.

Id rather be a failed businessman that tried than to not have bothered doing anything. He employed plenty of people, took a risk, went tits up. Tried to do a deal with AIB over the debt and the told him even if he offered 99% they wouldn't take it. He offered them his farm (at the time thought to be worth 2m and they wouldn't take it). He was right to go to Wales (imo). To add I'll miss him on my drive to work, really enjoy the show with him on it.

• Advertisement
Advertisement