Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Multimedia in DCU

Options
  • 06-04-2016 8:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 16

Hey, I was just wondering what anyone knows about the multimedia course in DCU. Currently sitting the leaving and I have it as my first choice on the CAO.
    I'd just like to know what the course entails and any important details I should know?
    Like I have big interest in music, filming, animation, and I was just wondering how much of each of those you do?
    I've seen some other posts on her about this course but they all seem to be from years ago and any updated info would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16 SaintlyWinner

Hey, I was just wondering what anyone knows about the multimedia course in DCU. Currently sitting the leaving and I have it as my first choice on the CAO.
    I'd just like to know what the course entails and any important details I should know?
    Like I have big interest in music, filming, animation, and I was just wondering how much of each of those you do?
    I've seen some other posts on her about this course but they all seem to be from years ago and any updated info would be greatly appreciated.

Not sure why this came up in "Music Production".
    Sorry for any inconvenience.

• Company Representative Posts: 31 Verified rep DCU Student Help

Hi,

Feel free to email studenthelp@dcu.ie and we would be glad to put you in contact directly with the right people to get all the information you need :)

Jonny

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭OniTenshi

I just graduated from the course this past year so I should be able to give you some fairly up to date info, albeit keep in mind there will always be slight changes year to year.

In your first year you're not going to be getting any optional classes or at least my year didn't. You'll have a mix of subjects ranging from some theoretical ones like social studies and psychology in multimedia, where you'll be writing the odd essay as your assignment.

Then you'll also have a bunch of practical subjects like some basic web design, digital storytelling (essentially a video production module) and photography/design.

It's in second year where you can start to make some choices about where you'd like to go. Classes on animation/audio production/video production/animation/post production/3D modelling/App design all become available to you. Mind you, obviously you can only pick so many but still those classes can be very interesting.

The level of detail and technical skill taught isn't all that high across the board, it's quite low on the number of hours per week for example but it's enough to get you going and then it's up to you to develop the skills needed to do the impressive stuff. I did find the lecturers (especially those of the more technical subjects) to be very accessible and willing to help outside of class time, if you need to bounce ideas or have something explained.

3rd year is mostly thesis preparation along with a few other classes and then in 2nd semester all you'll be doing is your thesis.

DCU is a fantastic college for Multimedia, there's plenty I'd change about the course believe me, but if you're into video/audio production one of the biggest societies on campus is DCUMPS (Media Production Society) which run events like the 24 hour live broadcast from the campus for charity and also run the radio station on campus called DCUfm. It's a great place to meet people and to get lots of hands on experience with the equipment. Also a great chance to develop a portfolio or library of work.

The absolute most important thing to know about the course is that you get out of it what you put in. It's not hard to pass the course but a pass won't get you anywhere once you leave, it's the people who genuinely used the time to develop some meaningful skills and challenge themselves that are doing fine after the course in terms of jobs/internships in promising places. It's the ones who scraped by all the way and never pushed themselves that aren't going anywhere.

Turned into quite the ramble I'm afraid but if you have any other questions or want me to clarify anything then you can post here or pm me.

Cheers

Advertisement