Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Using Nokia Lumia 630 with Tesco Mobile

• 06-04-2016 9:00pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭

I switched from 3 to Tesco Mobile a couple of days ago. I don't think the phone is properly configured to work on TM.

On the Tesco Mobile website it says:
    If you have brought your phone with you from another network, it will need to be set up with Tesco Mobile settings before accessing the internet or using mms. Choose your phone from the list below to have these settings sent you by sms.

But the list does not show the Nokia Lumia 630. Anyone know where else to find the correct settings?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Kamili

Tesco mobile are appallingly bad for this, their site is full of omissions and errors.
    They don't publish the settings for phones they don't sell. I'm on a 640xl and MMS doesn't work through them. If I could find a similar deal elsewhere I'd be long gone. Customer service is very lacking.

However there is a talk to Tesco forum on here, you can go poke them directly and hopefully they will help.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭Nodferatu

My mother was on Tesco mobile and she foind it was absolute rubbish.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭AnCatDubh

No specific experience of your issue OP, but as another poster has suggested the Tesco Mobile TalkTo forum are good at assisting.

I'm presuming that your 630 handset is unlocked from three ie. when your TM Sim is put into your 630 that you at least get a carrier identifier on your phone app?

In terms of Tesco Mobile themselves, I'd have to report the opposite to what some others have said. The price plans are great and in my use case it suits me perfectly, service is fine when i've had to ring them but to be honest that might have been twice in the last 18 months (initial registration and a stolen phone) - no better or worse than others imho, and the TM TalkTo folk here on boards will try to be as helpful as they can. I've found the value of the overall proposition so good that I've moved 3 family members over to them. On the downside 4G not yet available, and you are still limited AFAIK to the older O2 infrastructure ie. the benefit of the merged three/o2 infrastructure isn't yet realised for TM customers. I'd be guessing that they will be last in line along with the other virtual mobile network operators (48, CP Warehouse's offering, etc..) but hey, that stuff would be nice to have but would only be a bonus.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 534 ✭✭✭eezipc

Nodferatu wrote: »

I've been on Tesco Mobile for about 2 years now. I think its fine. Never had any problems with it.
    Just thought a bit of balance would not go amiss here...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,060 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

Nodferatu wrote: »

Nothing wrong with Tesco mobile. I never had a problem outside of the network going down (affected other MVNOs too), which was very rare.

€15 p.m. all in is very hard to beat, and when they get 4G I'll go back to them.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 6,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭mp22

Try this lot
    Windows Phone Settings

Your Tesco Mobile Windows phone is configured to work out of the box. If you have ported your phone to Tesco Mobile from another operator you may have to alter some configuration settings.

Follow the below steps to get the most of your mobile phone on the Tesco Mobile Network.
    • From Windows 8 main screen, select the App List then scroll down to Settings.
    • From the settings menu select Mobile + SIM.
    • Click on the view internet APN button.
    • This will display the screen called Internet APN.Windows_screenshot1.png
    • In the APN box enter tescomobile.liffeytelecom.comTo enable you to send MMS messages on the Tesco Mobile network complete the following settings.
    • In the Mobile +SIM screen, scroll down and click on the edit MMS APN button.
    • Enter the following into the MMS settings.
      MMS Section: Windows_screenshot2.png
      Don’t forget to change the IP type to IPv4, otherwise MMS will not work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭leck

mp22 wrote: »
    Try this lot
    Windows Phone Settings

Your Tesco Mobile Windows phone is configured to work out of the box. If you have ported your phone to Tesco Mobile from another operator you may have to alter some configuration settings.

Follow the below steps to get the most of your mobile phone on the Tesco Mobile Network.
    • From Windows 8 main screen, select the App List then scroll down to Settings.
    • From the settings menu select Mobile + SIM.
    • Click on the view internet APN button.
    • This will display the screen called Internet APN.
    • In the APN box enter tescomobile.liffeytelecom.comTo enable you to send MMS messages on the Tesco Mobile network complete the following settings.
    • In the Mobile +SIM screen, scroll down and click on the edit MMS APN button.
    • Enter the following into the MMS settings.
      MMS Section:
      Don’t forget to change the IP type to IPv4, otherwise MMS will not work.
    I had already entered those settings. Only thing different I had was 80 for the MMSC port on the second screen (blank on yours) so I deleted that.

Having problems with webtext function. Tried online at https://my.tescomobile.ie/tmi-selfcare-web/webtext. This is not populated with my contacts, do they have to be imported manually? Wasn't working yesterday when I entered number manually but does seem to work now. But would still like to know if there's an easy way to see my contact list from phone in here.

In order to send web texts from phone, I installed a Windows app called webtextr and set it up with these settings:
    Username:
    Password:
    Network: Tesco Mobile
    Server URL: http://cabbagetextr.com/send.php

But get this error:
    Error: unexpected response from phone network's website

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 6,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭mp22

leck wrote: »
    Having problems with webtext function. Tried online at https://my.tescomobile.ie/tmi-selfcare-web/webtext. This is not populated with my contacts, do they have to be imported manually? Wasn't working yesterday when I entered number manually but does seem to work now. But would still like to know if there's an easy way to see my contact list from phone in here.

In order to send web texts from phone, I installed a Windows app called webtextr and set it up with these settings:
    Username:
    Password:
    Network: Tesco Mobile
    Server URL: http://cabbagetextr.com/send.php

But get this error:
    Error: unexpected response from phone network's website
    I could not get that or any other webtext app to work on my 1020 when i moved to tesco.I have to log on to the website to sent webtexts.
    Contacts manual input is what I do

mp22 wrote: »
    I could not get that or any other webtext app to work on my 1020 when i moved to tesco.I have to log on to the website to sent webtexts.
    Contacts manual input is what I do
    Not what I wanted to hear, but thank you for letting me know.

• Advertisement
Advertisement