Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice required on Tablet/mobile service

Options
  • 06-04-2016 9:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭

My son is heading over to Australia (Brisbane) soon for a year and I wanted to get him a tablet (Possibly android) as a going away gift.

I wanted to get it so that he could keep in touch using skype and email and also use it for his basic computing needs as he will not be bringing a laptop or anything.

The thing is that I am not sure if he will always have access to wifi if he is traveling around over there. I also doubt that he will be taking out a broadband subscription as this would not be very practical also if he is moving from place to place.

With that in mind, what would the best choice of tablet be? If I purchased one from Amazon UK that had wifi and 4g capabilities, would it still work OK in Australia or would it somehow be incompatible?

Would he be best using the wifi option or taking out a 4g mobile phone subscription when he gets over there and then using the sim in the tablet when he wants to skype home?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated as I have not got a clue about any of this stuff. :confused:

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

This is what is most reliable in Australia

98bd7a2c4d0be270fb6d51a8bfe62ba6.jpg

Would it not be easiest for him just to use Skype/Facetime/etc on his Phone? Maybe an updated phone would be better?

Be warned that phone and data is a lot more expensive in Australia than in Ireland (even though I was told that Ireland is the most expensive in the EU)

Where will he be travelling? If in the cities then the coverage of all the networks is fine. Get out of the cities and then Telstra has the best coverage.

If you are buying a phone or tablet for him it may be best to purchase one to be delivered to him here. At the moment purchases sent here are GST free, but that is changing soon. Buy it there and you will pay VAT.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭Noo

There are also plenty of free Wifi spots around australia, on my travels we got by using mcdonalds but most (probably all) public libraries have free Wifi along with loads of public transport and shopping centres etc. Nearly all accomdation places, even campsites will have wifi, might be free or might have to be paid for but a wifi connection should not be hard to come by.

Advertisement