Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bathroom ceiling globe light - replacing lightbulb?

Options
  • 06-04-2016 9:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I need to replace a lightbulb in the bathroom but I'm having trouble getting at it, since I'm not sure about the fitting.

Hopefully you can see the picture below, but it's basically a globe light attached to the ceiling via a short white plastic cylinder. The problem I have is whether the whole thing needs to come off the ceiling (for example, are there clips?) to expose the lightbulb, or whether the glass globe bit unscrews from the cylindrical attachment above it. If it does, I'm sure it will need some brute force and maybe some WD40, but I want to be sure of what I'm doing before I go and destroy it accidentally.

Anyone familiar with this sort of fitting?
    Thanks!

?ui=2&ik=2e5eb441ba&view=att&th=153ed3a57122218b&attid=0.1&disp=safe&zw

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

I cant see any picture.

Some unscrew some have clips and some have little screw Tha need to be loosened.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,595 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Somethings they "weld" shut from the heat of the bulb.
    I generally replace them with a more aesthetically pleasing fitting :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

Hopefully you can see the picture this time. I think linking it from my Gmail account didn't work.

382489.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭17larsson

That looks like a screw in type. Hold the plastic part as you're unscrewing it though because if it's wedged in tight and it's only screwed into plasterboard then the whole light could come down.

Although that would be a good excuse to replace it with something better looking!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

The globe will unscrew anti clockwise and as suggested above hold white collar as sometimes they can pull out of ceiling depending on force.

• Advertisement
Advertisement