Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bob Heffernan 5k 17th May '16 @ 8pm

Options
2»

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Wouldn't worry too much about that, the course is pretty well sheltered most of the way around.

Best of luck Tang and everyone else doing the race too.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

fletch wrote: »
    Once sideways is on our back I don't mind

Obviously was on your back the whole way round. Congrats.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

A good 5k race. The start was messy and the starter was very grumpy. A good race but its the second year in a row the start was messy.

The finish line was in a better area this time though.

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭Slow_Runner

A good 5k race. The start was messy and the starter was very grumpy. A good race but its the second year in a row the start was messy.

The finish line was in a better area this time though.

Start was a bit of a disaster all right, I reckon it cost me about 5-10 sec no idea race had started and people were just strolling up to the start line. , need to be a lot louder with the start gun. Apart from that great race with a strong field to drag you along.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,398 ✭✭✭fletch

Obviously was on your back the whole way round. Congrats.
    Yeh wind worked out perfect...bit of head wind at the start but lots of shelter from other runners and you don't really notice it that early on, after the first left, it was on our backs for the rest of the race....first sub 17 for me so absolutely delighted :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,398 ✭✭✭fletch

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

Great race as always this, not much they can do with the start with it being situated where it is really. New PB for me so I ain't going to fault it!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,062 ✭✭✭davedanon

tang1 wrote: »
    Great race as always this, not much they can do with the start with it being situated where it is really. New PB for me so I ain't going to fault it!!

Yeah, the start was a bit of a shambles, but I'll know next time. I'll be sitting on Somba's shoulder if I have to to get out in front of the mob. Great course, and a thumping spread after. Pity about the Healy-Rae stylee weather. Nice to meet you tonight, B. Congrats on the pb. Did a certain colleague of mine really help, or was he just getting in the way? C'mon, you can tell me.

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭lenny palmer

Had a great race as well. New pb also, however the time difference between my watch 20:42 and my official time 20:48 is a bit upsetting. There is no way I hit the watch 6 seconds early.

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭tomwaits48

Good old fashioned no frills race. If they can fix the start line it would be a 10/10. Course not as easy as a few people lead me to believe, a couple of up and downs alright. Gained 25 seconds on my Tallaght 5k time 2 weeks go. Good to see a lot of familiar faces.

• Advertisement

davedanon wrote: »
    Yeah, the start was a bit of a shambles, but I'll know next time. I'll be sitting on Somba's shoulder if I have to to get out in front of the mob. Great course, and a thumping spread after. Pity about the Healy-Rae stylee weather. Nice to meet you tonight, B. Congrats on the pb. Did a certain colleague of mine really help, or was he just getting in the way? C'mon, you can tell me.

Ah he did in fairness to him, was a massive help over the last 800m urging me on and not letting me give in.

Ah he did in fairness to him, was a massive help over the last 800m urging me on and not letting me give in.

The two of you were just ahead of me, but somehow I didn't spot him in his beach-lounging outfit. The little sh*t, I could have done with some of that encouragement.

Had a great race as well. New pb also, however the time difference between my watch 20:42 and my official time 20:48 is a bit upsetting. There is no way I hit the watch 6 seconds early.

Same thing here, only without the pb. That would have been seriously annoying. I had 18.50 on the garmin and they gave me 18:54. Can you remember exactly when you started the watch?

Same thing here, only without the pb. That would have been seriously annoying. I had 18.50 on the garmin and they gave me 18:54. Can you remember exactly when you started the watch?

You needed to start the watch when the gun went and then went you crossed the second matt after the finish to be sure. You could of lost 2 seconds at the finish!

A pb of 19:40 for me

The two of you were just ahead of me, but somehow I didn't spot him in his beach-lounging outfit. The little sh*t, I could have done with some of that encouragement.

I thought he had joined one of those new urban hipster running crews with the outfit!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭lenny palmer

Yep. Right as I crossed the yellow line. I was a couple of rows back but did not think I was that far back

Yep. Right as I crossed the yellow line. I was a couple of rows back but did not think I was that far back

You should have started your watch when the gun went, that's where the discrepancy is between your watch and official time, the yellow line last night meant nothing for timing it was just the startline nothing else.

You should have started your watch when the gun went, that's where the discrepancy is between your watch and official time, the yellow line last night meant nothing for timing it was just the startline nothing else.

I probably did the same thing. Heard the gun, didn't react immediately, then saw some sort of mat or line underfoot, pushed the button. In any case, I remember how slowly we were moving when the gun went off. Left loads of time behind at the startline. I'll know next time.

Also it was the second mat at the finish line and not the first, I started my watch when the gun went off, but stopped it on the first matt!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,517 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

It's a great race, but that start is an epic fail. The road is too wide so unless you're going to be a d1ck and elbow your way through the throngs, when the race starts, you find yourself locked in behind 200 runners and lose 15-20 seconds over the first 800m. The solution seems pretty straightforward to me. Start the race on the narrower side road. It'll allow them to make sure the main road is clear (so none of those false starts) and will help to enforce improved corralling. But a great race nonetheless.

• Advertisement
Advertisement