Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Varicose veins / phlebitis!

Options
  • 06-04-2016 9:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭

So I suffer with the lovely varicose veins anyway and didn't think anything of it until last week when I was in a lot of pain in my leg where the vein is. Went to the doctor and it's phlebitis, a direct result of pregnancy. The rush of blood throughout my body and it went straight to this lovely long vein in my leg. I'm only 8 weeks so fairly upset to know that I am now a high risk for the rest of my pregnancy, and I have been told to wear support stockings for the rest of my pregnancy. Nice!!! Anyone else suffer with this? All tips gratefully received!!! (And where the hell can I buy decent 'non grannyish' support stockings)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭Penny Dreadful

sinead81 wrote: »
    So I suffer with the lovely varicose veins anyway and didn't think anything of it until last week when I was in a lot of pain in my leg where the vein is. Went to the doctor and it's phlebitis, a direct result of pregnancy. The rush of blood throughout my body and it went straight to this lovely long vein in my leg. I'm only 8 weeks so fairly upset to know that I am now a high risk for the rest of my pregnancy, and I have been told to wear support stockings for the rest of my pregnancy. Nice!!! Anyone else suffer with this? All tips gratefully received!!! (And where the hell can I buy decent 'non grannyish' support stockings)

The sexy fun of pregnancy just never ends! I don't have varicose veins but do find that wearing the stockings helps my legs anyway in feeling less tired at the end of the day.
    I bought my support stockings in McCabes pharmacy. I had a pair that I just picked up in another chemist on my last pregnancy and then my toddler "tidied" them away and so I had no idea where they were. In McCabes they insisted on measuring my legs before selling them to me which I thought odd at the time but now that I'm wearing them I'm glad they did. Turns out the last pair were too small which is why they were so bloody uncomfortable.

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭sinead81

The sexy fun of pregnancy just never ends! I don't have varicose veins but do find that wearing the stockings helps my legs anyway in feeling less tired at the end of the day.
    I bought my support stockings in McCabes pharmacy. I had a pair that I just picked up in another chemist on my last pregnancy and then my toddler "tidied" them away and so I had no idea where they were. In McCabes they insisted on measuring my legs before selling them to me which I thought odd at the time but now that I'm wearing them I'm glad they did. Turns out the last pair were too small which is why they were so bloody uncomfortable.

Great tip with mccabes! I will get to them today or tomorrow. I have asked to be referred to a vascular consultant and I am seeing her in two weeks because I will spend the next 7 months just worrying about this coming back

• Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭Penny Dreadful

sinead81 wrote: »
    Great tip with mccabes! I will get to them today or tomorrow. I have asked to be referred to a vascular consultant and I am seeing her in two weeks because I will spend the next 7 months just worrying about this coming back

Its good to get it check out all right but they probably won't do anything with your veins until you're finished having kids. My sister has varicose veins and is a nurse so it hasn't helped matters but she was told there was no point doing anything until she was over her last pregnancy.

Drinking lots of water will help too as will keeping your feet elevated where possible. Move them around too while sitting down - rotating the feet 10 times in one direction and then 10 the other every hour or so will help keep the blood flow moving.
    I do all of those things and it helps a fair bit. I also put my stockings on first thing in the morning so they're working away before my legs have a chance to get tired from standing.

Advertisement