Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dortmund vs Liverpool Thurs 8.05 pm

14567810»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,868 ✭✭✭Andersonisgod

monkey9 wrote: »
    Would you, yeah?

I would. You hear managers in post match interviews and they spin it or they try to make an issue of something to take attention away from the game or they use it as an opportunity to play mind games or they simply give answers that are intentionally useless so it's always nice when wla coach gives a decent post match interview.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

So?

You've just made a show of yourself there.

You could have left it at the Ronaldo thread, but go ahead by all means.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,564 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

Good work by me with the thread tonight. Put myself in a good position for the return thread next week. Just have to up the thread next week, to really thread over the line and thread into the next round.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,501 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

OwaynOTT wrote: »
    Good work by me with the thread tonight. Put myself in a good position for the return thread next week. Just have to up the thread next week, to really thread over the line and thread into the next round.

Thread lightly on the thread puns.

quarryman wrote: »
    Oh it's gonna be fun on here tonight!

Oh hi buddy. Are you not contributing tonight? We just thought you would find this fun? No? What do you find fun? :confused:

Oh well. Maybe we'll see you at the second leg.

• Advertisement

I would. You hear managers in post match interviews and they spin it or they try to make an issue of something to take attention away from the game or they use it as an opportunity to play mind games or they simply give answers that are intentionally useless so it's always nice when wla coach gives a decent post match interview.

Ok.

Ok.

Always fun talking to you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,564 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

martyos121 wrote: »
    Thread lightly on the thread puns.

Good advice, wouldn't want the 'joke' getting threadbare.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,614 ✭✭✭The Golden Miller

If you're going to try to make a point then make a relevant one. Aubameyang has 36 goals in 41 games this season (including 10 in Europe). Thats pretty clinical. However he didn't get a sniff tonight thanks to Liverpools defence.

He is clinical to a point, but he's not world class. He's certainly not on Lewandowski's level in terms of poaching, and Dortmund's style of play needs that to be fully utilised. When Dortmund score early they normally romp home, which is where most of Aubameyang's goals have come from this season, but in nearly every game where they have dropped points they have bombarded the opposition while continually missing several guilt edge chances each match, with Aubameyang rarely scoring. Had they a more clinical striker they would be out in front of Bayern this season imo, and it's always the same story with them. Last year they were bottom of the table at xmas (due to a mixture of reasons), but a major one was the lack of a clinical striker never finishing any of the chances, and he was at the club for the previous few seasons. Madrid knocked them out of the Champions League the year before after they missed three two yard tap in's. Always the same with Dortmund when push comes to shove, no top out and out striker. But sure if "stats" with little context say otherwise, this could never ever be the case. I really do despair for the sky sports "STATS" generation. Why watch and analyse a match when you can just check out the stats and goal returns on wikipedia?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,213 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

He is clinical to a point, but he's not world class. He's certainly not on Lewandowski's level in terms of poaching, and Dortmund's style of play needs that to be fully utilised. When Dortmund score early they normally romp home, which is where most of Aubameyang's goals have come from this season, but in nearly every game where they have dropped points they have bombarded the opposition while continually missing several guilt edge chances each match. Had they a more clinical striker they would be out in front of Bayern this season imo, and it's always the same story with them. Last year they were bottom of the table at xmas (due to a mixture of reasons), but a major one was the lack of a clinical striker never finishing any of the chances. Madrid knocked them out of the Champions League the year before after they missed three two yard tap in's. Always the same with Dortmund when push comes to shove, no top out and out striker

They'd be out in front with a more clinical striker? They've scored a goal more than Bayern in the BL this season. However they've conceded 15 more than Bayern (including 5 at Bayern). That's why they're 5 points behind, not because 23/26 Aubameyang isn't clinical.
    And are you saying that Lewandowski is or isn't a top out and out striker? Cause he was on the pitch when Real beat them (Aubemeyang was on the bench).
    It doesn't matter how clinical your striker is if the opposition don't give him a chance to take a shot on goal. That's what happened tonight.
    Just seen your stats edit. I watch Dortmund regurlarly. I don't rely on wiki stats.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Aubameyang probably doesn't get that level of attention in the average BL match, games in Germany are often very open in nature - end to end with fairly laxed man marking.

Always fun talking to you.

Cheers, Pivot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭astonaidan

Wow Ive heard it all now, Dortmund would be ahead of Munich if they had a clinical striker, then I hear they need a poacher. Christ how did Immobile do a known poacher, Dortmunds style doesnt suit a poacher at all, Lewa isnt a poacher and hes the best Bayern and Dortmund have had recently

He is clinical to a point, but he's not world class. He's certainly not on Lewandowski's level in terms of poaching, and Dortmund's style of play needs that to be fully utilised. When Dortmund score early they normally romp home, which is where most of Aubameyang's goals have come from this season, but in nearly every game where they have dropped points they have bombarded the opposition while continually missing several guilt edge chances each match, with Aubameyang rarely scoring. Had they a more clinical striker they would be out in front of Bayern this season imo, and it's always the same story with them. Last year they were bottom of the table at xmas (due to a mixture of reasons), but a major one was the lack of a clinical striker never finishing any of the chances, and he was at the club for the previous few seasons. Madrid knocked them out of the Champions League the year before after they missed three two yard tap in's. Always the same with Dortmund when push comes to shove, no top out and out striker. But sure if "stats" with little context say otherwise, this could never ever be the case. I really do despair for the sky sports "STATS" generation. Why watch and analyse a match when you can just check out the stats and goal returns on wikipedia?

Bear in mind, this is the opinion of somebody who thinks, other than goals, what does Ronaldo do.

They'd be out in front with a more clinical striker? They've scored a goal more than Bayern in the BL this season. However they've conceded 15 more than Bayern (including 5 at Bayern). That's why they're 5 points behind, not because 23/26 Aubameyang isn't clinical.
    And are you saying that Lewandowski is or isn't a top out and out striker? Cause he was on the pitch when Real beat them (Aubemeyang was on the bench).
    It doesn't matter how clinical your striker is if the opposition don't give him a chance to take a shot on goal. That's what happened tonight.
    Just seen your stats edit. I watch Dortmund regurlarly. I don't rely on wiki stats.

Where was Aubameyang last season? Doing fcuk all really. It's not about what Dortmund have conceded, the way most games have gone down where they dropped points they've bombarded the opposition with over 30 chances and shots in some cases (many guilt edge) only to come away with 1 point.

Cheers, Pivot.

No bother, Basic Banter.

No bother, Basic Banter.

Good ridicule, read a book once.

Good ridicule, read a book once.

Thanks. I try not to resort to ridiculing people for using correct football terms on a football forum because, well to put it bluntly, I'm not 7 anymore.

Good result for the pool, wasnt sure they had it in them tbh, shows the nonsense people were saying about how much stronger Dortmund are, but sure where would we be without the football hipsters saying mainland europe football is better :pac:
    Some great saves by Weidenfeller, Coutinho should have scored at least once

Where was Aubameyang last season? Doing fcuk all really. It's not about what Dortmund have conceded, the way most games have gone down where they dropped points they've bombarded the opposition with over 30 chances and shots in some cases (many guilt edge) only to come away with 1 point.

What's last season got to do with anything? (That was a club wide clusterfcuk) This season he'd been outstanding.

EVERY striker misses quilt edge chances. Lewandowski misses them, Ronaldo misses them, Messi misses them. He is definitely not the reason they're 5 points behind.

Bayern have dropped 9 points all season. They battered Dortmund 5-1 in Munich and took point from the Westfalenstadion. Thats why they're ahead. Dortmund have their highest points total ever after 28 games, but Bayern are better then them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,308 ✭✭✭Pyjamarama

Mainland Europe is better... do you honestly think Leicester would be winning the league in any of the other top leagues?!? No chance.

Thanks. I try not to resort to ridiculing people for using correct football terms on a football forum because, well to put it bluntly, I'm not 7 anymore.

Yeah, i've no idea what you're saying there to be honest apart from applying i'm seven.

Pyjamarama wrote: »
    Mainland Europe is better... do you honestly think Leicester would be winning the league in any of the other top leagues?!? No chance.

Thats your argument, haha ok then champ

Yeah, i've no idea what you're saying there to be honest apart from applying i'm seven.

Then let me be clear. Your insults towards me on this thread are those of a school yard bully's. They ridicule my use of correct terms and, in classic cartoon schoolyard behaviour, also ridicule me for reading a book. You insult me because I am clever. That's the behaviour of a bully. Like all bullies, I believe this is because you feel threatened by me, perhaps you feel jealous of me somehow or maybe I make you feel self-conscious or inadequate. This is not my intention. However that does not give you the right to act like a playground bully so I will call you out on it.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,803 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

So?
    Dortmund's lack of a top clinical out and out striker comes back to haunt them once again

:confused:

What's last season got to do with anything? (That was a club wide clusterfcuk) This season he'd been outstanding.

EVERY striker misses quilt edge chances. Lewandowski misses them, Ronaldo misses them, Messi misses them. He is definitely not the reason they're 5 points behind.

Bayern have dropped 9 points all season. They battered Dortmund 5-1 in Munich and took point from the Westfalenstadion. Thats why they're ahead. Dortmund have their highest points total ever after 28 games, but Bayern are better then them.

And still they've missed 6 or 7 guilt edge chances every time they've dropped points. Yes the results against Bayern going in their favour would have helped but they've continued to drop points at key times while well on top. Yes every striker misses guilt edge chances, but Dortmund in general and Aubameyang seem to miss enough to do every team in the league plus more again, and it's always when it matters. This has been a regular feature for them the last few years, and Aubameyang is never going to be the difference for them and change that. He's good of course, just not world class. If they had that world class striker they'd take some stopping. It's their weakest area in my opinion, it separates them from being one of the best in europe to always falling short

Then let me be clear. Your insults towards me on this thread are those of a school yard bully's. They ridicule my use of correct terms and, in classic cartoon schoolyard behaviour, also ridicule me for reading a book. You insult me because I am clever. That's the behaviour of a bully. Like all bullies, I believe this is because you feel threatened by me, perhaps you feel jealous of me somehow or maybe I make you feel self-conscious or inadequate. This is not my intention. However that does not give you the right to act like a playground bully so I will call you out on it.

Then let me be clear, as a LOI fan who actually does know what a regista is, i will absolutely call you out on what you are.

I don't really care how many books you claim to read, or whatever zonal marking nonsense you google and that Barca bible you subscribe to, there are times that...wait for it... you talk bollix.

You talk in normal terms in other forums, but then you orgasm over a Messi goal from one yard out because you know it annoys people, it's not natural.

You get away with it, fair enough. But it ruins a lot of regular threads.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,246 ✭✭✭ardinn

Couple of things

1) yer man aybombyoung or whatever his name is actually has 36 goals in his last 41 - and is valued at €100 million by dortmund.

2) Somebody here's username is Andersonisgod

That is all!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,798 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

Just as an aside, it's gilt edged not guilt edged or quilt edged.

Good performance from the pool tonight, I would have taken that score before the match tbh. Now not to throw it away next week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,945 ✭✭✭dogbert27

Tuchel's words crawl up on you and slash at your flesh as you're not looking. He says that Dortmund struggled to find their rhythm, that it took them time to grow into the game (I'd say roughly 25 minutes until they gained control), their precision wasn't there and that they never reached top level. His comment about that early chance is correct too, they should have scored there and that would have drawn Liverpool out but alas no. I'd say his summary is spot on.

Is anyone else a bit scared of this guy??

Then let me be clear, as a LOI fan who actually does know what a regista is, i will absolutely call you out on what you are.

I don't really care how many books you claim to read, or whatever zonal marking nonsense you google and that Barca bible you subscribe to, there are times that...wait for it... you talk bollix.

You talk in normal terms in other forums, but then you orgasm over a Messi goal from one yard out because you know it annoys people, it's not natural.

You get away with it, fair enough. But it ruins a lot of regular threads.

I don't care because I've come to this thread to talk football, my posts were content heavy and you didn't like them because they went deeper than "oh that's a good shot/chance/save"

Your entire spiel about me has been based around displaying knowledge and you've clearly let slip how you detest it so. Even in the comment I'm quoting you assume I must be googling these "zonal marking phrases" whereas the reality is I use these everyday and I think absolutely nothing of it.

To put it simply, one of us reads from The Guardian, the other reads from The Sun.

I think you'll find it was happy to talk solely about football here but your immaturity rather got in the way of that. If you're so desperate to talk football how about you reply to my football related posts with an actual football related post?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭Sugarlumps

Michael Owen went to another level of nauseating last night, his co commentator was equally as bad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,954 ✭✭✭garra

Sugarlumps wrote: »
    Michael Owen went to another level of nauseating last night, his co commentator was equally as bad.

Brad friedal was good on nbc, I like brad, he doesn't go in for the hyperbole much. Interestingly he was quite complimentary of mignolet. Maybe it's the keepers union thing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭Sugarlumps

garra wrote: »
    Brad friedal was good on nbc, I like brad, he doesn't go in for the hyperbole much. Interestingly he was quite complimentary of mignolet. Maybe it's the keepers union thing

Thanks, enjoy Friedel. I'll be switching for the return leg.

And still they've missed 6 or 7 guilt edge chances every time they've dropped points. Yes the results against Bayern going in their favour would have helped but they've continued to drop points at key times while well on top. Yes every striker misses guilt edge chances, but Dortmund in general and Aubameyang seem to miss enough to do every team in the league plus more again, and it's always when it matters. This has been a regular feature for them the last few years, and Aubameyang is never going to be the difference for them and change that. He's good of course, just not world class. If they had that world class striker they'd take some stopping. It's their weakest area in my opinion, it separates them from being one of the best in europe to always falling short

God help me. Name me a top team that DOESN'T miss 6 or 7 chances when they drop points. It's not unique to Dortmund.

If they had a world class striker they'd take some stopping? The had Robert Lewandowski the year Bayern did the treble and beat them in the CL final. They had him again the next season when they finished 19 points behind Bayern and got knocked out of the CL by Real while missing, as you said earlier, at least 2-3 guilt edge chances. Is he not a world class striker?

And as I already said, last night Aubameyang didn't miss any chances, because he didn't get any. Therefore he's not the reason Dortmund didn't win. Liverpool being better than them playing is why they didn't win.

Anyways, that's me done with this ridiculous argument.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,997 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

I would love a list of the strikers he thinks are better than Augyembeng. Also factoring in that Dortmund are in a league where Bayern are dominant.

Who are these world class strikers that would choose Dortmund and help them overtake Bayern.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,882 ✭✭✭✭klose

garra wrote: »

Was watching that stream too, although they did get pretty carried away when pulisic came on because he was a yank. Did enjoy friedel on commentary.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,292 ✭✭✭GreNoLi

I don't think Aubameyang is world class either but he hasn't peaked yet.

Advertisement