Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Future doggy plans!

• 06-04-2016 11:53pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭

So this is going to be well down the line but doing research now so we'll have time to think about it!

Myself and the OH are hoping to move in together later this year, and when we have a place (providing it allows pets) we would be thinking of getting a dog! This would be my first dog of "my own" even though there's always been a dog at home.

Now I know people are going to recommend rescuing, which we will do down the line, but for a first dog I want to go down the route of sourcing a reputable breeder, health tests and all the rest of it!

So now down to the fun part - what breed?! I've always been a lover of big big dogs, I would love a Great Dane ideally but maybe not as a first time dog.
    She likes smaller/mid size dogs but would manage with a giant too :D
    The only dogs we've ruled out are Labradors and jack russles, just don't have the appeal for us.
    Exercise wise, we would go for whatever the dog needs in daily walks but wouldn't be up hiking mountains or running marathons every second day.
    Grooming shouldn't be a problem as I'm hoping to start up shop as a groomer in the future but I'd prefer something short to mid length coat.
    Preferably very trainable too :D
    So have at it folks, which do you think would be the dog for me?
    (Also consider its me, SillyMangoX, so there's inevitably going to be a cat or two around the place :D )

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,964 ✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

I don't know why but your post is screaming Newfie at me. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,964 ✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

Or as a size compromise, a setter.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

GSD for me :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭SillyMangoX

I've always loved Newfies, such big lovable eejits! But having met a good few through work I've found they have a really strong 'doggy' smell, is this usually the case?

GSD are a big yes from me, how suitable would they be for a first time dog?

I've been leaning towards some sort of a mastiffy breed, Neapolitan or dogue de Bordeaux in particular or even a boxer or rottie but I'm just not sure for a first time dog would it be good to take on such big dogs! (I am possibly definitely overthinking this :pac: )

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

What about a giant schnauzer? They're only really giant in name, so don't have the very short lifespan you get with regular giant breeds? Great for practicing grooming, the only downside would be if you didn't keep the schnauzer cut and people complemented you on your labradoodle :D

Personally I'd love an Irish water spaniel. Lots of upkeep on the coat though.

And as AJ suggested setters, I'd agree, although they do need lots of exercise!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭SillyMangoX

Spaniels and setters are something I hadn't thought much about despite loving them when I was younger!
    Irish water spaniel is definitely something in for consideration, even something smaller like a cocker I think I would go for even though I love big dogs just for their personalities :D
    I was also thinking standard poodle but like with the schnauzer, I'd be annoyed at labradoodle comments as I doubt I'd be keeping them in show cuts!
    Also thinking of a Bernese mountain dog as herself really likes those, any thoughts on them for a first dog?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭VonVix

Shetland Sheepdog! They have a great on and off switch, they're bang in between small and medium, they're ready to go when you want them to do something with you, and they can be lazy as hell if you're doing nothing, highly trainable, family orientated, naturally smell good (weird, I know!), not too fussed about attention from strangers (they aren't everyone's best friend like a Golden Retriever), only downside is they are naturally a talky breed. I honestly think they're a REALLY easy dog to own, aside from needing a brush every once in a while. :o

Yes, they are long coated but generally they are very easy to manage, a brush once a week can do most of them.

I have two. I'm not biased, I swear.

[Dog Training + Behaviour Nerd]

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭Knine

Spaniels and setters are something I hadn't thought much about despite loving them when I was younger!
    Irish water spaniel is definitely something in for consideration, even something smaller like a cocker I think I would go for even though I love big dogs just for their personalities :D
    I was also thinking standard poodle but like with the schnauzer, I'd be annoyed at labradoodle comments as I doubt I'd be keeping them in show cuts!
    Also thinking of a Bernese mountain dog as herself really likes those, any thoughts on them for a first dog?

Bernese are lovely dogs, pricey and unfortunately don't live very long.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,775 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

Knine wrote: »
    Bernese are lovely dogs, pricey and unfortunately don't live very long.

There are also some seriously dodgy lines floating about. I've seen more Bernese with aggression problems in the past 5 years than I ever had for years before. In fact... I don't know if I ever met an aggressive one before!
    Giant Schnauzers... Seriously handsome but VERY stubborn. Not for the faint hearted and I wouldn't advise one as a first-time dog.
    I'll give another vote for the GSD, as long as you go for the right lines. My GSD is a working dog, but as laid back a dog as you'd ever meet... You can bring her anywhere. All the dogs that I've met from her lines (and I owned her aunt before her) were the same. Absolutely trustworthy, funny, clever and dopey at the same time, and maybe a bit lazy too :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,054 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Ah I'd love a newfie - the Landseers are lovely looking I think!! :pac: We struck gold with Lucy though so I think if/when the time comes for another pupster I'd go to her dad's breeder ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 583 ✭✭✭Inexile

I know you dont want to go the rescue route but what you have described is a cat friendly greyhound.

Large but not overly energetic and short haired...

but then I'm biased.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

VonVix wrote: »
    Shetland Sheepdog! They have a great on and off switch, they're bang in between small and medium, they're ready to go when you want them to do something with you, and they can be lazy as hell if you're doing nothing, highly trainable, family orientated, naturally smell good (weird, I know!), not too fussed about attention from strangers (they aren't everyone's best friend like a Golden Retriever), only downside is they are naturally a talky breed. I honestly think they're a REALLY easy dog to own, aside from needing a brush every once in a while. :o

Yes, they are long coated but generally they are very easy to manage, a brush once a week can do most of them.

I have two. I'm not biased, I swear.

I'd love a sheltie for our next dog. Grooming is the only thing that might put me off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭VonVix

hardCopy wrote: »
    I'd love a sheltie for our next dog. Grooming is the only thing that might put me off.

Out of curiosity, what is it about the grooming part that puts you off? Or rather, what would you expect you would have to do daily/weekly to maintain their coat? :o

[Dog Training + Behaviour Nerd]

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

VonVix wrote: »
    Out of curiosity, what is it about the grooming part that puts you off? Or rather, what would you expect you would have to do daily/weekly to maintain their coat? :o

My own dog won't stand still for more than a very brief brush, he just wants to sniff and chew the brush. As a result he only gets brushed when I'm feeling especially patient. Luckily his coat doesn't tend to mat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,739 ✭✭✭pawrick

I was in the same boat as you about a year ago. I ended up going for a landseer type newfie. The gf was too nervous of a GS after we talked it through and much as I like terriers it would have been a bad idea with our cats and our set up.

On a side note I was looking at a lovely looking and friendly shar pei in my local vets yesterday who seemed a lovely dog and not too big to control. I had never been up close to one before but this guy was loving the attention.

re the newfie, I haven't noticed her to have any exceptionally doggy smell, she is kept indoors and groomed as needed, we also brush her about once a week and she loves that. Bear in mind they are a very strong dog and can be quite stubborn when they have the weight and strength to go with it. Otherwise an extremely friendly breed, perhaps too friendly considering how much of a fright they can give people unused to a large dog.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Don't think a schnauzer would be a dog the inexperienced...seriously headstrong from the little I've seen of them

Advertisement