Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dutch elm

Options
  • 07-04-2016 12:39am
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hi,

Looking for advice, my mother in law has a beautiful ( well establisged) Dutch elm in the garden, with no sign of disease. I just found out today that a huge arm of the tree was cut off to facilitate a sky dish. :-( I am just wondering, could I get something done with the wood? I would hate to see it chopped up and put on the fire.

Any advice appreciated.

Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,637 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

elm would be a nice wood, but is it an english elm or a wych elm?
    dutch elm is the disease, not the tree.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭recipio

You will probably recover very little wood by cutting it up - branches are more useful for woodturning.It is a very poor firewood BTW. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

If you can find a way to post or link to a picture of your tree we can probably tell you what type of elm you have. Several of them including some that are more resilient to dutch elm disease have very characteristic shapes. If you can include a picture of a dry leaf (all you might find at this time of year) then even better.

Never had a problem with it for firewood and long ago used to burn a good bit of it. Traditionally used to fire Scotch Whiskey stills. Produces very little ash. Not always everyone's first choice in firewood because dry elm logs are a real pain to split with an axe, so best split when still green.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭Prenderb

recipio wrote: »
    You will probably recover very little wood by cutting it up - branches are more useful for woodturning.It is a very poor firewood BTW. ;)
    Very poor. In fact elm is so bad a firewood it shouldn't ever be burnt.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Anj78

I think it is a wych elm, as a gentleman called and measured it about 20 years ago for a survey (I think) and said it was rare to see a tree that large with no sign of disease. I will get a photo when I call up to her house nxt.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,637 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

dutch elm is the disease, not the tree.
    http://www.wood-database.com/lumber-identification/hardwoods/dutch-elm/

i stand corrected. i'd never heard of the hybrid before.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 fergalm

where are you located? I am a wood turner in Donegal and i love Elm for turning. if I am too far away you could look for a turner nearer to you. The Irish wood turners guild has a list of members, check their website.

Advertisement