Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

First laptop

• 07-04-2016 5:36am
    Registered Users Posts: 42

Hi folks,

I want to buy a laptop but I basically know nothing about computers and could use a little help. I always used windows so mac books are out. Heres what I want to use it for other than normall browseing:

Netflix
    Downloading movies, shows, books ect
    Games, nothing to heavy but I would like to play some relatively recent games and run a few emulators (ps2, DS)
    Hdmi port for playing Xbox

Battery life is not a major factor as I will mostly be useing it at home. I don't want to spend not more than 500 the cheaper the better naturally.

Any advice about what to look for or specific models you have used for similar functions would be greatly aprceated as I'm totally clueless when it comes to specs and whatnot.

Thanks in advance :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,170 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Hdmi port for playing Xbox

:confused::confused::confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

You'll have to clarify what you mean RE xbox. And as for gaming, you can almost forget about it, unless it's older games you're looking at. You'd want to budget higher for gaming.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 The Soup King

You'll have to clarify what you mean RE xbox. And as for gaming, you can almost forget about it, unless it's older games you're looking at. You'd want to budget higher for gaming.

Re: xbox
    I would like it to have a hdmi port so I can plug in my Xbox 360 and play it using the laptop instead of a tv

It would be mostly older games yes. I miss playing rts games, would that not be fairly low spec as they tend not to have high end graphics? Would like to play some of my old games like half life and Jedi academy. I also love the telltale games and think they would work better on pc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭mordeith

Re: xbox
    I would like it to have a hdmi port so I can plug in my Xbox 360 and play it using the laptop instead of a tv
    Doesn't work like that. Hdmi ports on laptops are out only.
    It ld be mostly older games yes. I miss playing rts games, would that not be fairly low spec as they tend not to have high end graphics? Would like to play some of my old games like half life and Jedi academy. I also love the telltale games and think they would work better on pc.

I'd imagine you might get away with the integrated Intel graphics in a new gen i3

• Registered Users Posts: 42 The Soup King

mordeith wrote: »
    Doesn't work like that. Hdmi ports on laptops are out only.

Ah thanks good to know. That what was causing the confusion.

• Advertisement
Advertisement