Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

€400 gaming build

Options
  • 07-04-2016 9:40am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭

Is it possible to do a decent gaming PC for €400 and have it in an itx case ?
    I like the ITX size as I'm a bit tight for space.

1. What is your budget? €400 Not much wiggle room on this but can go a small bit over. Would like new parts but willing to buy second hand.

2. What will be the main purpose of the computer? Gaming/HTPC/Internet
    Picking up games as I go, nothing has to run at Ultra settings, but want high frame rates and decent graphics

3. Do you need a copy of Windows? Yes/No

4. Can you use any parts from an old computer? I have a 120gb SSD. I can probably get by with this for a bit to keep costs down.

5. Do you need a monitor? No

5b. If no, what resolution is your current monitor and do you plan to upgrade in the near future? 1920x1080. No immediate plans to upgrade but may move to a dual monitor set up

6. Do you need any of these peripherals? Have all peripherals

7. Are you willing to try overclocking? Willing to try

8. How can you pay? Bank Transfer/Credit Card/Laser

9. When are you purchasing? In the next month or so

10. If you need help building it, where are you based? Can manage this bit myself

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

Case €50
    GTX750Ti €130
    Board €70
    400w PSU €40
    8gb RAM €40
    i3 6100 €120
    Total €460

Best I can come up with for new parts

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

With such a small budget, it's a big ask to want decent graphics and high framerates. The build above is perfect for the money, but even at €60 beyond your budget, the GTX750Ti is a good 1080P low-medium settings @ 60fps type card.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭will56

I actually have/had an I5 4440 with a 750ti and was fairly happy with the performance. (may have to part with that bargain of a purchase so thats why I'm asking about a €400 build)

I assume there isn't a huge amount to be saved going second hand on the parts vs trying to source them ?

I don't get it though, why would you give up the old machine? An i5-4440 is way faster than an i3-6100.

2nd hand...it all depends on what's available at any given time of course and it can be a pain to track down all the parts at any one time. Buying a whole machine 2nd hand for the €450 might be easier. There's a lot of junk for that price around of course, but if you know what you're looking for there are plenty of decent PC's too.

I don't get it though, why would you give up the old machine? An i5-4440 is way faster than an i3-6100.

2nd hand...it all depends on what's available at any given time of course and it can be a pain to track down all the parts at any one time. Buying a whole machine 2nd hand for the €450 might be easier. There's a lot of junk for that price around of course, but if you know what you're looking for there are plenty of decent PC's too.

Don't particularly want to sell it, but its more an "offer I can't refuse" type of situation.

Digital Solitude: Where did you price a skylake itx board for €70 ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

Sorry, forgot to check geizhals. :rolleyes:
    Thanks for that

will56 wrote: »
    Don't particularly want to sell it, but its more an "offer I can't refuse" type of situation.

That is fair enough but you are going to have to settle for a slower machine even if you up the budget closer to €500 so it seems a bit strange.

That is fair enough but you are going to have to settle for a slower machine even if you up the budget closer to €500 so it seems a bit strange.

Hmm might give it a re-think then. I didn't realise there would be much of a noticeable difference going to the I3

• Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭tadcan

It might be a better option to save your cash and get a new Pascal GPU later this year. GPU is more important than CPU in many games. Then save up for a new pc later down the road.

• Advertisement

GPU is more important than CPU in 95% of titles. But it's not to say that CPU's aren't important. There is a point at which your CPU will still hinder you. An i5-4460 is far less likely to do that than any Skylake i3...which is why you should re-consider selling that machine and building a new one with such a limited budget. An i5-4460 is only going to be a meaningful bottleneck if you're running a €650 980Ti or Fury X. The Skylake i3 will bottleneck far sooner than that. AMD 8-core CPU's start to bottleneck around the same point as the 6th gen i3.

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭Eoinmc97

will56 wrote: »
    Hmm might give it a re-think then. I didn't realise there would be much of a noticeable difference going to the I3

DX12 and even DX11 games are starting to use more than 2 cores. The i3 might have hyper-threading, but that doesn't actually help.
    Stick with your i5 and put the money towards a better GPU. The 4460 will be solid for years to come.

Thanks for all the replies

I think I'm going to stay with the current PC :D
    I thought I would have enough left over after selling it and buying a new one to justify the sale, but this a good reality check :)

Advertisement