Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Linhof Technika 70 Film Camera

Options
  • 07-04-2016 10:12am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,283 ✭✭✭

My Father in-law was having a clear out of some of his old camera gear when he came across this item:
    http://www.shutterbug.com/content/classic-camerasbrthe-linhof-technika-70#OyqMYsbycdFZ5z5k.97

He's offered to me to use as I'm a big fan of film photography. It appears to be a complete set of camera body, two lenses, handle & shutter release cable and a few assorted odds and ends. Most of it looks hardly used and in great condition.

Probably a shot in the dark here but has anyone here experience of using one of these? The whole thing is quite bewildering, from its sideways orientation to the adjustable bellows and back. I'm hoping to put it to some use but its figuring out where to start.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,694 ✭✭✭DaireQuinlan

oh wow nice one. It's a kind of mix between a press camera like a Mamiya Super 23 or something (which I shoot with occasionally) and a field camera. Have you got a rollfilm back? Or is it all film holders? Normal usage should be relatively easy, focus using the rangefinder and shoot. It looks as though on top of that it has good support for a range of movements so you can control your DOF and perspective, though you'll need a ground glass back for that to check focus and composition etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,283 ✭✭✭fixXxer

It has a back with a crank handle which I assume is the roll film back, and a few film holders too. Unfortunately I've been ill recently so I've not had a chance to put it all together but I'm looking forward to taking it for a spin.

As someone who's never used a bellows style camera before, what purpose does it serve being able to adjust it up and down? Same question for the moveable back actually :-/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭failinis

Never used a bellows camera before - but found a manual which may be useful if you don't have the original.
    Looks rather odd camera.

fixxxer wrote: »

As someone who's never used a bellows style camera before, what purpose does it serve being able to adjust it up and down? Same question for the moveable back actually :-/

It all falls under the general category of 'movements'. In this case you have what looks like front rise and fall, and shift, and front tilt and swing. In addition you have a certain degree of back tilt and swing. My mamiya 23 has a similar deal with the back, but doesn't have any front movements. It's a big topic, but in short, tilt and swing are useful for manipulating the plane of focus, typically to increase the apparent DOF in the shot. Rise and fall are good for perspective correction. Here's an introductory treatise ...

http://www.rogerandfrances.com/subscription/camera%20movements.html

Also also, you may find that the selenium meter is non functional. I've never found a selenium meter more than 30 or 40 years old that actually still worked. You might get lucky though :-D

• Advertisement
Advertisement