Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Putting a plug on an outdoor security / sensor light

Options
  • 07-04-2016 11:01am

Hi folks,

Feel suitably embarassed even making a thread for this, but here goes..

If I were to buy a security light, say something like this:

http://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/4327033/Trail/searchtext%3EPIR.htm

Is there much difficulty putting a plug on it? (I plan to use it inside a shed, so if anyone enters the shed, it turns on, so it's easier to just plug it in and mount it on the wall).

My instinct is that anyone with any kind of mild knowledge on electrical work will be able to do it in 2 minutes (i presume it's just a case of 'plug and play' really, sticking the wires into the plug) but unfortunately, I don't possess that mild knowledge.

So really what Im asking is, can a 'joe soap' do this, or is it an awkward thing to do and therefore would actually require an electrician to look at it?

(oddly, the only place I can see them for sale with plugs already attached as standard, is the UK. Can't find a single motion sensor light for sale in Ireland with a plug attached! mad!)

Cheers :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,745 ✭✭✭meercat

There's no reason you can't do this yourself
    Use 3x1.5 flex and just swap the fuse in the plug top for a 5amp.
    It's a straight forward enough job

Cheers for the reply. Your post set me off with the right words i needed to google (the 3 x 1.5 flex). I picked up the plug, light and wire (albeit it's a 0.75 rather than 1.5.. will this matter?) and I will try my luck at it later on.

Cheers meercat :)

Advertisement