Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rent Increase Notice

Options
  • 07-04-2016 11:18am
    Registered Users Posts: 3

What is the minimum notice period required between intention of increasing rent and having to pay the new rent (assuming it's been 24 months since the last increase)? My landlord wants to increase rent and is saying I can start paying it from next month but I think the notice period has been recently increased to 3 months?

I am also being asked to pay the waste charges up front for the year (he himself is billed in this way). I'm wondering do I have to agree to this as if I move out during the year I don't want to be liable for the full whack. Can I arrange it to be paid in monthly installments as as supplement to the rent or would I be able to get a refund if I move out early?

Finally, if I've lived in a place for an amount of time that requires me to give more than the usual month's notice, can the landlord then make me move out before that minimal notice period? E.g. rented for 2 years so its 8 weeks notice from tenant to landlord, but the landlord says sorry but you need to move out in one month (assuming the tenant does not have to desire to move out in the reduced notice period).

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,223 ✭✭✭Michael D Not Higgins

Yes it should be 90 days before paying the new rent.

You can agree a payment schedule if the landlord is willing, there's nothing preventing either situation. I would have asked that any bills were in my own name to be able to do it myself though.

You can't sign away your minimum notice as required by law. The landlord giving incorrect notice invalidates the notice.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 coocoocachu

Thanks for that.

I have one other question regarding letting new tenants look at the place while I'm on my notice period. My lease states that I have to let people view the place during reasonable hours for a month before the tenancy ends. That seems quite opened ended i.e. they can have as many people as they want view it whenever - I'd prefer to keep this to a minimum to prevent theft/damage while I still am the occupier.

* Are the terms of the lease still valid after the lease ended after 12 months without signing a new lease
    * Do I have greater legal rights with regards to this than what the lease states (e.g. I can specify when is ok for people to come view (e.g. max 1 hour a week, that I must be present, or block them entirely)?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,223 ✭✭✭Michael D Not Higgins

The term of the lease cannot override your rights under law which is for "peaceful and exclusive occupation". Your obligations to allow viewings are minimal but in the interests of honouring the spirit of the lease and ensuring a reference from the landlord, you should suggest some times in the week that suit you to the landlord and let them arrange all viewings around that, with at least 24 hours notice. Anything outside of that you shouldn't entertain.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭Butters1979

Why are new tenants viewing the place? Are you moving out or have you been asked to leave?
    Also, how long are you there and do you have a current lease.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 coocoocachu

No I haven't been asked to leave but I'm considering it due to the rent hike so just wanted to clarify a few things before I go through with it.

• Advertisement
Advertisement