Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Keeping fermentation bucket warm in shed, no power for brew belt

Options
  • 07-04-2016 11:48am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭

I'm going to do a few brews in the coming months hopefully starting in the coming week or so depending on weather as I'll be brewing outside.

My problem is I'll be leaving it to ferment in the wooden shed. Can't have it in the house with young kids, etc definates no go.

Currently I brew with a friend and we leave it in his shed with a brew belt on as he has power in his shed.

I don't in mine unfortunately so I'm a little concerned about it being too cold for the fermentation to start and then not stop till its done.

I'm thinking put a duvet around it etc for insulation but is there anything else I can do?

Is there a way of getting a battery of some sort to power a brew belt? They use such little wattage it could be viable but I wouldn't know where to start.

Anyone any experience of this?

I know with summer coming it'll be grand but I'd like to kick things off as in the next week and it's still quite cold at night/morning.

Thoughts?

First brew will be an extract IPA if that makes any difference.

Thanks.

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,848 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

I used to brew and ferment in a basement that would regularly drop to single-digit temperatures and I never had a problem, even with crappy sprinkled kit yeast. The fermentation generates its own heat and, certainly for the next few months, I'd say you'd be OK.

If I were you I would definitely rehydrate the yeast so it's up and running when you pitch, leave it indoors for as long as you can supervise it after pitching, and wrap a duvet on it when you move it to the shed. After a day or two check that it's fermenting and if it is, you're away.

I'd be far more concerned about high temperatures. I know in my shed, when it gets direct sunlight even on a cold day, the temperature goes up beyond where I'd be comfortable leaving beer.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭murphyebass

BeerNut wrote: »
    I used to brew and ferment in a basement that would regularly drop to single-digit temperatures and I never had a problem, even with crappy sprinkled kit yeast. The fermentation generates its own heat and, certainly for the next few months, I'd say you'd be OK.

If I were you I would definitely rehydrate the yeast so it's up and running when you pitch, leave it indoors for as long as you can supervise it after pitching, and wrap a duvet on it when you move it to the shed. After a day or two check that it's fermenting and if it is, you're away.

I'd be far more concerned about high temperatures. I know in my shed, when it gets direct sunlight even on a cold day, the temperature goes up beyond where I'd be comfortable leaving beer.

Ok cool that puts my mind at ease slightly so. I'll make sure to rehydrate the yeast first.

Never done that before when brewing. Normally siphon beer from peco to the fermenting bucket and add the dried yeast to the bottom of the bucket and swirl as the liquid goes in from the peco. Probably not the most advisable way of doing it but 5 or 6 brews in its worked every time.
    Anyway I will rehydrate to be on the safe side and then wrap in a blanket.

I'm probably being over cautious or over thinking this but don't want to ruin my first solo brew session!

Hopefully I'll have a nice IPA in a few weeks time to bottle!

Thanks

Do look up how to rehydrate. It's fiddly, but I think it's worth it to get things moving faster.

BeerNut wrote: »
    Do look up how to rehydrate. It's fiddly, but I think it's worth it to get things moving faster.

Will do.

Without looking it up I assume it's just add warm water.

I'll look it up though before I do it. I'm just thinking from bread making. When I make bread I used dried yeast as well which I "activate" by using warm water in the mix.

Maybe it's not that simple though.

Edit...

Looked it up. So it's not quite as simple because of sterilisation etc but doesn't look too bad so will give it a go.

Yeah, because you're on the cold side of the process you have to be careful with hygiene.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

I'd put some insulation under the fermenter too, aeroboard or kingspan or even those camping mat foam lads.
    Soft insulation will get squashed and not be much use under it.
    In a shed in summer, you will have large swings of temp, very hot during the sunny day, and cooler at night, so you will be wanting to not let the beer get too warm also.
    The Duvet seems grand around the side/top of the fermenter

I'd put some insulation under the fermenter too, aeroboard or kingspan or even those camping mat foam lads.
    Soft insulation will get squashed and not be much use under it.
    In a shed in summer, you will have large swings of temp, very hot during the sunny day, and cooler at night, so you will be wanting to not let the beer get too warm also.
    The Duvet seems grand around the side/top of the fermenter

I was going to put a big blanket under it but might used aeroboard instead thanks.

The summer will be interesting swing wise alright. Will just have to keep an eye on it. That said our Indian summers don't help.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

I brewed in a metal coal bunker once. The vigrous starter is essential, it will keep generating more heat when brewing.

I hear of people brewing fast turbo yeasts in hot countries and they dump in frozen 2L bottles of water into them, like giant versions of those enclosed ice cubes you get.

I suppose if it got really cold you could do similar, but put in bottles of hot water.

If you had a wort chiller you could use it in reverse, and pump hot water through it.

Insulation will also protect against any large temp swings.

Advertisement