Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

After Hours Ban

Options
  • 07-04-2016 12:30pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 12,045 ✭✭✭✭

I've been banned for a day for the use of the word 'tranny' which seeming considered offensive an interpretation that I don't agree with.

"Typically, this means that you are posting in a needlessly aggressive or confrontational manner being disruptive on the forum or causing stress for the other members. We don't want that here"

I don't consider the use of the word to meet any of the above criteria and would suggest it is a commonly used word to describe transexual, trans gender and those that are that way minded.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

Can you confirm that you tried to resolve this via PM with the mod?

If you have I will have a look for you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,045 ✭✭✭✭gramar

KERSPLAT! wrote: »
    Can you confirm that you tried to resolve this via PM with the mod?

If you have I will have a look for you.

I have, they're not for turning it seems..."You can go to drp if you wish but I'll not be changing my mind"

Grand thanks.

Can you forward the PM exchange and I'll look into this when I get a chance. I'll ask the mod to do the same.

Cheers

KERSPLAT! wrote: »
    Grand thanks.

Can you forward the PM exchange and I'll look into this when I get a chance. I'll ask the mod to do the same.

Cheers

Pm'd or posted here?

You can do either, whatever suits you.

• Advertisement

This crap is not welcome on Boards. Cop yourself on or it'll soon be a permanent ban.

In fairness Ken, It's a fair point. They should also be catered for and that should be highlighted. It is in the same vein as those who campaign for toilets that are not gender assigned i.e. men and womens but who have an alternate option.

Yeah, maybe if you'd phrased it like that it might have slid by. Instead you used the offensive word trannies. You can go to drp if you wish but I'll not be changing my mind.

Tranny....an abbreviation of transexual. Hardly offensive. Bi- is a common abbreviation of bi-sexual...hardly offensive.

So this completely slipped my mind but in any case it was a one day ban which would have expired before I reviewed anyway.

It has been removed now but your post was:
    What about the trannies?

Trannies/Trannys is a derogatory term

http://www.dictionary.com/browse/tranny

"a contemptuous term used to refer to a transvestite, transsexual, or transgender."

I uphold the 1 day ban and while I'm at it I'll advise that your AH record is less than stellar. Bans usually increment so I would suggest you take a look at the charter again and review your posting style.

You may request an admin review if you wish.

Thanks for looking into it anyway. I suppose you can go ahead and mark it as resolved though I feel the tone of the initial response from Ken was unwarranted.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement