Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New York Marathon 2016

Options
  • 07-04-2016 12:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭

I havent seen a thread for this so I'll start it off...

I am not travelling with a tour / travel agent and therefore need to book transport to the start line when this is released by the organisers. Has anyone any tips on what is required. Is it necessary to be at the computer when booking opens or is it a case of buy a ticket any time before the race and when in NYC, stand in a queue to get on the next available bus?

I have read through last years thread and it seems that there is a considerable wait at the start, is there a way to avoid this, perhaps taking other forms of transport to the start other than the official bus? - can you take the ferry or a taxi perhaps?

Advice (on any part of the trip) from those that have been there is much appreciated...
    Please & thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,016 ✭✭✭Itziger

I havent seen a thread for this so I'll start it off...

I am not travelling with a tour / travel agent and therefore need to book transport to the start line when this is released by the organisers. Has anyone any tips on what is required. Is it necessary to be at the computer when booking opens or is it a case of buy a ticket any time before the race and when in NYC, stand in a queue to get on the next available bus?

I have read through last years thread and it seems that there is a considerable wait at the start, is there a way to avoid this, perhaps taking other forms of transport to the start other than the official bus? - can you take the ferry or a taxi perhaps?

Advice (on any part of the trip) from those that have been there is much appreciated...
    Please & thanks

Don't know if someone's sent you info in a message or not KB, but the only way of avoiding the wait would probably be to tell em you're a 2.06 marathon runner or that you're Kanye West.

Or maybe you could swim across.

The wait's part of the test I'm afraid. (From a veteran of 1 NY marathon)

• Registered Users Posts: 5 dec23

Hey Killian,

Today is the day that you need to select which option to go with. I spotted this on youtube about getting across via the ferry. Looks a good option to me:

youtube.com/watch?v=q_HQIKsgIlg

This is my first NY run in November, and as Itziger says, theres no way to avoid the wait on Staten before the start. I actually dont mind the wait before...its the whole running part after the wait that im more concerned about!!

dec23 wrote: »
    Hey Killian,

Today is the day that you need to select which option to go with. I spotted this on youtube about getting across via the ferry. Looks a good option to me:

youtube.com/watch?v=q_HQIKsgIlg

This is my first NY run in November, and as Itziger says, theres no way to avoid the wait on Staten before the start. I actually dont mind the wait before...its the whole running part after the wait that im more concerned about!!
    Hehe, yeah, there is that. But you'll worry about the wait if it's cold and windy. I took the latest ferry option, but I'm guessing you could gamble and take a slightly later one again. There was a long line of buses taking athletes to the drop off point. Between jigs and reels and the bus being stopped for a good bit, I felt like I didn't have too long to wait about. Weather was fine for us last year but I did have 2 sweat shirts that I ditched before race started. The real veterans have plastic rain sheet thingies and it might be an idea to bring something to sit or lie on as well. Bring a banana or a sports drink... and a good dose of common sense!

And enjoy.

• Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭KillianByrne

Thanks Itziger & Dec23. I think it'll be the ferry & no baggage option for me. This run is all about the experience. I've never been to NYC before so taking the Staten Island ferry will be all part of the fun!

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭Jmcmen

Thanks Itziger & Dec23. I think it'll be the ferry & no baggage option for me. This run is all about the experience. I've never been to NYC before so taking the Staten Island ferry will be all part of the fun!

Drop a bag with dry clothes in it. If its wet and windy you will need it. No way round the Ferry. I was on Staten Island at 6am in the freezing cold, I would do it again in the morning. The Pain was temporary, the memories will live with me forever. Brilliant experience

• Advertisement

Absolutely. The ferry option looks like it might be fun.
    I just signed up now on nyrr.org - 6.45 ferry, which was the latest available time for me, and the Poncho option...no baggage drop.
    Itziger - thanks for the advice. I think some throwaway layers for the 'Staten Wait' might be in order!
    Are there any enclosed areas in Staten island at the start?

Absolutely. The ferry option looks like it might be fun.
    I just signed up now on nyrr.org - 6.45 ferry, which was the latest available time for me, and the Poncho option...no baggage drop.
    Itziger - thanks for the advice. I think some throwaway layers for the 'Staten Wait' might be in order!
    Are there any enclosed areas in Staten island at the start?

Not that I saw, but read through the threads here. Someone mentioned a few tents once and said they used to keep warm in the 'Religious' one!!

I didn't even see tents last year. Poncho option definitely seems best, it's a fine job too, not just the silver lining thing you normally see.

Wow, first time in New York! I think you might enjoy the whole experience. You got accommodation and all that sorted?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,622 ✭✭✭Ruu

I found a link from a chap that has run it 37 times (http://www.runarweb.com/nycm_e.php) and finding useful info on it. It will be my first. Going with the ferry, will discard layers as I go along and won't check any bags. I'll stay in Central Park, going to airbnb it.

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭Run and Jump

Ruu wrote: »
    I found a link from a chap that has run it 37 times (http://www.runarweb.com/nycm_e.php) and finding useful info on it. It will be my first. Going with the ferry, will discard layers as I go along and won't check any bags. I'll stay in Central Park, going to airbnb it.

The link is broken by the bracket pasted in - it's http://www.runarweb.com/nycm_e.php. Thanks for posting the link, lots of interesting info.

I'd love to do the New York marathon but the logistics seem offputting, so maybe doing it with a group (e.g. a charity or some other crowd) who are experienced in doing this race is the way to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭webpal

Is the "no bag option" an option?! i.e. must you pay for it or something? when i did it there was a heap of vans in the start villages, that you just walked to and dropped your bag, which was then brought to the start line. I wouldnt under-estimate the weather conditions either given that you'll be outdoors standing around for a few hours. Thats what got me and I paid for it in the latter part of the race.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭KillianByrne

webpal wrote: »
    Is the "no bag option" an option?! i.e. must you pay for it or something? when i did it there was a heap of vans in the start villages, that you just walked to and dropped your bag, which was then brought to the start line. I wouldnt under-estimate the weather conditions either given that you'll be outdoors standing around for a few hours. Thats what got me and I paid for it in the latter part of the race.

It appears a couple of years ago they worked to try to limit the delays at the finish by offering a 'no bag drop' option - those that selected this were 'rewarded' with a NY Marathon poncho and a separate (supposedly quicker) route out of Central park.

You can still bring a bag, drop it and collect it at the finish but you are opening yourself up to possible delays.

No bags was supposed to suit people that either had supporters that could carry clothes for the finish or those that lived in Manhattan or close by.

There is no charge for either option.

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭iancairns

Hey guys, I got into the NY Marathon via the lottery but not sure when do we get charged for the entry or was I charged already? Just want to make sure I have money in my account. Thanks!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,622 ✭✭✭Ruu

I got charged the day of the lottery results.

So is everyone is all set for November 6? 20 days to go. Is it time to start checking the Weather apps yet.....

So is everyone is all set for November 6? 20 days to go. Is it time to start checking the Weather apps yet.....
    Yep doing some home work and getting excited big time about it. Have my wife's family living in Hoboken NJ and it's 28 celcius there, thank god it's in November. Would love it if no wind!

I've never ran with a pace band before but think I will this time, just ordered one last night. Aiming for sub 3:10

iancairns wrote: »
    Yep doing some home work and getting excited big time about it. Have my wife's family living in Hoboken NJ and it's 28 celcius there, thank god it's in November. Would love it if no wind!

I've never ran with a pace band before but think I will this time, just ordered one last night. Aiming for sub 3:10

Keep a bit up your sleeve for the slope that starts at 108th st, approx. Goes on for the best part of 20 blocks and then at the top you turn into the Park. It's about km 37 or 38. Don't go mad coming down off that first bridge, just stay relaxed. Look out for the two bridges that bring you from Brooklyn to Queens - someone on here was saying they were completely unprepared for that one - and then of course into Manhattan. Everyone is prepared for that and yes it is a drag. Enjoy and good luck.

Itziger wrote: »
    Keep a bit up your sleeve for the slope that starts at 108th st, approx. Goes on for the best part of 20 blocks and then at the top you turn into the Park. It's about km 37 or 38. Don't go mad coming down off that first bridge, just stay relaxed. Look out for the two bridges that bring you from Brooklyn to Queens - someone on here was saying they were completely unprepared for that one - and then of course into Manhattan. Everyone is prepared for that and yes it is a drag. Enjoy and good luck.

Hey, thanks a mill for the advice on those hills. I never actually knew what a pace band was for and always would just go with my Garmin but I love the idea that you can get a Pace Band that takes these hills on the course into account. Decided to go with the attached which allows time to take easy at these key points. I also find on my long runs that I perform better fluctuating pace naturally if I feel ok at times. Too many miles at the exact same pace can be tougher on the legs.

Anyone who is running on the 6th - just be aware the clocks are changing in the US on the Saturday night/Sunday morning. So we have an extra hour in the Leaba! Happy days!
    [font=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]Sunday, November 6, 2016, [/font][font=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]2:00:00 AM[/font][font=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif] clocks are turned [/font][font=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]backward[/font][font=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif] 1 hour to [/font]
    [font=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]Sunday, November 6, 2016, [/font][font=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]1:00:00 AM[/font][font=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif] local standard time instead[/font]

• Registered Users Posts: 3,186 ✭✭✭ooter

I got talking to a lad in the pub after the Dublin marathon yesterday and his tales of the new York marathon have sold me, it's on my to do list now and has given me something to aim for in 2017.
    It will be at least 2018 before I qualify but was just wondering, I'll be 45 then but obviously only 44 when I (hopefully) run my qualifying time in 2017, is it your age when you ran the qualifying time that they use or your age when you're running in the marathon?
    Best of luck to anyone taking part next week, sounds like an amazing event.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,704 ✭✭✭CR 7

Anyone else looking to watch this, there's an international stream here. Working perfectly for me at the moment anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭webpal

Live on Eurosport too

Hope you're enjoying it folks! Watching the live stream there. Savage running from the young Gebresalassie lad. Mary K winning again!

Great memories.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭yaboya1

Itziger wrote: »
    Hope you're enjoying it folks! Watching the live stream there. Savage running from the young Gebresalassie lad. Mary K winning again!

Great memories.

Post race, yeah? :)

yaboya1 wrote: »
    Post race, yeah? :)

Of course. Although meeting yourself at the start line was a close second.

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭Slow_Runner

Great win again by Ketani after breaking away so early on. I thought Huddle looked really strong at the end. I was just waiting for one of the motorbike cops or camera bike to clip the lead runners - the amount of times they switched from left to right was unreal. Also what was the story with the motorcade following Ketani through Central Park, something like 5 cars/SUVs???

• Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Great win again by Ketani after breaking away so early on. I thought Huddle looked really strong at the end. I was just waiting for one of the motorbike cops or camera bike to clip the lead runners - the amount of times they switched from left to right was unreal. Also what was the story with the motorcade following Ketani through Central Park, something like 5 cars/SUVs???

All about security

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

Some debut over the distance by Olympic Triathlon champ Gwen Jorgensen who ran 2.41 for the race.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭Glencarraig

Eurosport commentators were S***e

Advertisement