Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Damage to the Manannan

Options
  • 07-04-2016 1:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭

I was in the Isle of Man a few weeks ago. I sailed as usual with the Steam Packet Company on the Manannan, their catamaran fast ferry.

Manannan_zpsz9oo0hrt.jpg

My sailing was fine but later that evening, after coming from Liverpool, the ship struck the pier in Douglas while berthing.

PR563-Manannan_Statement1_zpsx5pq0tcc.jpg

PR563-Manannan_Statement2_zpswspwl6c6.jpg

Not a huge amount of damage, but sailings were cancelled. There was no breech of any water tight compartment and they brought it to Birkenhead for repairs. Thought ye might like to see it :)

Apparently there was an issue with the new guidance system and that the sailing had been very rough due to non-functioning stabilizers. 5 people were hospitalized, some suffering from whiplash apparently :rolleyes:

The ship was actually used by the US Navy for a few years known as the USS Joint Venture.

HSV%20Joint%20Venture_zpsjmkexhud.jpg

Advertisement