Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Jobsbridge and training

Options
  • 07-04-2016 1:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭

Hi,

I'm looking into the possibility of advertising for a jobsbridge intern.
    If I do go ahead with it, i'd like to send the intern on a training course as part of the internship.

It would be in the area of Digital Marketing and would ideally be a 3 to 5 day course. Can anyone recommend a course or an institution that would provide such training?

I realise there is probably more value to be had in doing a diploma or postgrad part time in a third level institution, but the budget won't stretch that far!

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

The dppskillnet do a very good course. I did it last year.it has people from industry doing the modules and provides a diploma once some assignments are done.
    You may get it free as the intern will be unemployed and getting benefits.

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭newdigi

Thanks tatranska.

I'll check that out

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

newdigi wrote: »
    I'm looking into the possibility of advertising for a jobsbridge intern.
    If I do go ahead with it, i'd like to send the intern on a training course as part of the internship.
    Will you be taking them on after the internship? If so, ensure you let them know of the possibility, otherwise they may jump ship if they get an offer after a few months with the course under their belt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

You might be able to approach this from another direction, ie. get in touch with a course provider and ask if they put their students on work placements. Pretty sure some of them do that. Be wary though of some of the courses which might be well out of date; some still teach meta keywords despite that being a bad idea for at least a decade.

the_syco wrote: »
    Will you be taking them on after the internship? If so, ensure you let them know of the possibility, otherwise they may jump ship if they get an offer after a few months with the course under their belt.

The plan would be to most definately take them on after the internship if they are suitable.

To be honest, if the worst came to the worst and they did jump ship then the job obviously wasn't right for them. I'd rather someone be happy where they are working than just sticking it out.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

You might get a very basic Digital Marketing course for 3 to 5 days. If you're looking for a Digital Marketing intern then hire a Digital Marketing intern! Someone who has training in the area, not someone with no experience in the hopes that they can learn it in a week. It's your business and their career that's at risk so hire someone who will get the benefit of the position as well as benefiting your company.

smash wrote: »
    You might get a very basic Digital Marketing course for 3 to 5 days. If you're looking for a Digital Marketing intern then hire a Digital Marketing intern! Someone who has training in the area, not someone with no experience in the hopes that they can learn it in a week. It's your business and their career that's at risk so hire someone who will get the benefit of the position as well as benefiting your company.

i've thought of that as well. The role won't necessarily be purely Digital Marketing but possibly 50 to 60% of it will.
    I've actually got a digital marketing postgrad myself and this is the area I work in so there's a lot I can teach them myself.

I suppose the main reason for the course would be to give something back to them so that they can have some form of 'formal' qualification behind them if it's something they don't already have.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,966 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

The plan would be to most definately take them on after the internship if they are suitable.

You do realise that under Irish employment law, you can let an employee go because they are "unsuitable" at any time while they are still on probation - and the latter lasts for 12 months unless you make it shorter?

Unless you are based in an area with high unemployment, then I doubt that you will find anyone suitable (ie with enough aptitude to start with) who is stupid enough to be willing to work for free for nine months.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

Unless you are based in an area with high unemployment, then I doubt that you will find anyone suitable (ie with enough aptitude to start with) who is stupid enough to be willing to work for free for nine months.

Would it be safe to assume that's an opinion based on gut feeling rather than real world experience?

• Registered Users Posts: 563 ✭✭✭orthsquel

To be honest, if the worst came to the worst and they did jump ship then the job obviously wasn't right for them. I'd rather someone be happy where they are working than just sticking it out.

You could use the Springboard Employers section... if you register it would give you access to graduates from Springboard courses in this specific area. the Digital Marketing Institute (online distance learning) and Griffith College Cork were offering diploma courses in Digital Communications / Digital Marketing (Griffith College in Cork specifically Diploma in Digital Communications for Enterprise which included digital marketing/social media marketing) at September 2015, they should have graduates near enough by now.

• Advertisement

Graham wrote: »
    Would it be safe to assume that's an opinion based on gut feeling rather than real world experience?
    It's less of a "not suiting them", but more of a "need money". If they're qualified to do the job, they may jump ship at a moments notice if they get a paying job. However, if they knew there was a job at your company, they'd be more likely to stay, especially if they're recently out of college, and can't find a job in their sector.

Thanks everyone for the replies.

I'm not necessarily looking for someone with loads of experience. The whole point of jobsbridge for me is to give someone a chance. With my (and another staff members) Digital Marketing background I can offer them plenty of hands on experience/advice and training. I may also be taking on someone from college for a couple of months to give them some experience.

The point of my question though was to see if there was any good formal training that I could send them on, so that they could have it to add to their CV should they choose not to continue working with us.

I've looked at a few and was hoping someone could share their experiences with any of the training companies they might have used.

The whole point of jobsbridge for me is to give someone a chance. With my (and another staff members) Digital Marketing background I can offer them plenty of hands on experience/advice and training.
    Ah, that's cool. Not sure how long someone has to be on Social Welfare before they can apply for JobBridge? I think it's 6 months?
    The point of my question though was to see if there was any good formal training that I could send them on, so that they could have it to add to their CV should they choose not to continue working with us.
    This is fairly cool; hope it goes well for you.

Maybe pop into your local PLC? There'll be people that will have done a course with Digital Marketing in mind, and would most likely leap at a chance to get into the industry.

=-=

Be aware that JobBridge may send you unsuitable people, as I have heard of people been told to take a (random) JobBridge, or face reduction or elimination of their benefits.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

smash wrote: »

The OP may not be in the position to pay someone so jobbridge would be a good option particularly if he is going to invest in training.

For the record. I did the course which is taught buy people with many years experience in the industry and all with successful businesses of their own.
    I did it for free as I wasn't working but there were large companies spending a lot of money sending their staff on it.

OP. the perfect way of doing things would be to get someone on jobbridge and you to have a clear training plan for them to include the Diploma in Digital Marketing with the DPP Skillnet.

Its intensive and there are assignments which need to be completed to get FETAC approved certification. It would need to be a prerequisite for them to complete the course and pass for them to continue with you. There needs to be some cost or benefit for them to get commitment.

Advertisement