Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

shoulder surgery

• 07-04-2016 1:42pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 584 ✭✭✭

Just wondering if anyone here has had rotator cuff surgery and how long it took you to get back to full training? ie lifting weights or even running. I know everyone is different but just wondering if anyone has any experience.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,679 ✭✭✭hidinginthebush

From my own experience (I damaged mine around Christmas), first I rested it, thinking it would fix itself with rest. After about 6 weeks of no great improvement, I started icing it twice daily. This helped a little. Finally after 3 weeks of that with slight improvement, and doing a fair bit of online research, I started doing shoulder dislocations. They helped a huge amount. Now keep in mind this was after nearly 2 months with only slight improvement, so maybe they helped, or maybe my body was finally ready to start healing itself, but in my book they were a great factor in helping recovery.

Since then I've been able to start working shoulders back again. It's funny, on the one hand, I'm using much lighter weights than before (and started with next to nothing at the beginning), but am doing a much greater range of exercises. Internal / External rotations, cuban press and face pulls have all been great help, but once again done at light weights.

FWIW from what I read on various forums, it seems surgery should be avoided if possible, but if you've gotten MRI's etc., and have been advised to take that course, I'm not going to argue with a doctor's opinion.

You have my sympathies, as it's a crippling injury to have, not only for fitness, but day-to-day life is hampered by it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 584 ✭✭✭Mauser 308

From my own experience (I damaged mine around Christmas), first I rested it, thinking it would fix itself with rest. After about 6 weeks of no great improvement, I started icing it twice daily. This helped a little. Finally after 3 weeks of that with slight improvement, and doing a fair bit of online research, I started doing shoulder dislocations. They helped a huge amount. Now keep in mind this was after nearly 2 months with only slight improvement, so maybe they helped, or maybe my body was finally ready to start healing itself, but in my book they were a great factor in helping recovery.

Since then I've been able to start working shoulders back again. It's funny, on the one hand, I'm using much lighter weights than before (and started with next to nothing at the beginning), but am doing a much greater range of exercises. Internal / External rotations, cuban press and face pulls have all been great help, but once again done at light weights.

FWIW from what I read on various forums, it seems surgery should be avoided if possible, but if you've gotten MRI's etc., and have been advised to take that course, I'm not going to argue with a doctor's opinion.

You have my sympathies, as it's a crippling injury to have, not only for fitness, but day-to-day life is hampered by it.

Thanks a mill for the inputs, I actually had the surgery last weekend so that ship has sailed I am afraid. It mainly the recovery time post op to lifting again I was looking into. Also exercise to help recovery. I take your point re light weights and I imagine that is the way I will need to go also. I will be engaging with physios etc in a few weeks time but just interested in peoples experience.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,679 ✭✭✭hidinginthebush

Mauser 308 wrote: »
    Thanks a mill for the inputs, I actually had the surgery last weekend so that ship has sailed I am afraid. It mainly the recovery time post op to lifting again I was looking into. Also exercise to help recovery. I take your point re light weights and I imagine that is the way I will need to go also. I will be engaging with physios etc in a few weeks time but just interested in peoples experience.

Happy days, week hopefully the surgery was a success. I suppose if you went that route you had suffered a genuine tear? Do you know how your did it? I'm pretty certain I did mine doing Arnold presses (poorly), so have cut them out completely.

Best of luck with the rehab!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 584 ✭✭✭Mauser 308

Happy days, week hopefully the surgery was a success. I suppose if you went that route you had suffered a genuine tear? Do you know how your did it? I'm pretty certain I did mine doing Arnold presses (poorly), so have cut them out completely.

Best of luck with the rehab!
    I originally damaged it playing football a few years ago, but the aching and waking me up at night drove me to get it fixed after months of Physio had failed. On the Arnold press, I have to say it was the one exercise that really aggravated the issue more than any other.

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭Micky8728

I damaged my rotator cuff about 4 years ago. Tried load of different physicos over the years. Went to a neuromuscular therapist at last week and he had me sorted with one session

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭Phil.x

Micky8728 wrote: »
    I damaged my rotator cuff about 4 years ago. Tried load of different physicos over the years. Went to a neuromuscular therapist at last week and he had me sorted with one session

Can you post a link to who you went to.

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭Withrax

Check out this guys channel. Has loads of great information.

Advertisement