Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

what system for small hotel?

• 07-04-2016 1:47pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,854 ✭✭✭✭

Hey guys. Currently trying to figure out the best plan for heating and hot water for a small hotel. Probably going to go with LPG, not on a mains gas line. Question is, if the building is intended for commercial purposes, its an old hotel not listed, can we get away without renewables at present?

I just came across the below, from dimplex, higher hot water in DEAP... Not sure if they have similar for small commercial buildings or whether you would just purchase 3-4 of these units...

http://www.dimplexrenewables.com/uploads/AClass12Page-Jan2015-WebSmall.pdf

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,640 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

does hotel have a leisure centre/pool?
    What is the estimated annual energy load for heating and HW?

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,854 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

does hotel have a leisure centre/pool?
    What is the estimated annual energy load for heating and HW?

thanks for the reply. I will have to get a heating engineer to work that out. No pool etc, a hot tub is a good as its going to get in the short term...

I really need to find out, with a commercial building, will part L regulations stipulate that a certain amount has to come from renewable. If not, Id have it plumbed so that they can be added easily later, complying with regulations and cost are the two huge factors, far more so than being able to recoup the investment on solar in 10 years etc!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,725 ✭✭✭Metric Tensor

The non-domestic Part L does not specify that new non-domestic buildings must have renewables.

They do have to meet certain energy usage requirements that can be checked with isbem/NEAP in the same way as using DEAP for domestic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,854 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

The non-domestic Part L does not specify that new non-domestic buildings must have renewables.

They do have to meet certain energy usage requirements that can be checked with isbem/NEAP in the same way as using DEAP for domestic.

thanks, that echos advice I received yesterday from a man in the rds at the energy exhibition, who offered energy consultancy advice.

he said regulations for commercial buildings at present were very vague...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,725 ✭✭✭Metric Tensor

The way I'd see it is that when compared to the domestic regulations it is easier to meet non-domestic Part L compliance back stop values.

To me that means that renewables or advanced energy saving elements included in the design are directly driven by economic savings rather than being "pushed" by regulatory requirements.

Whether or not this is a good thing depends on your point of view and as with all things there's probably a happy medium to be achieved between the carrot, stick and lassiez faire approaches!

• Advertisement
Advertisement