Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Email from Visa Debit Card Security

Options
  • 07-04-2016 2:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭

Hi I just got an email from BOI about Visa Card Debit Security. The email is from fpucardsecurity@boi.com

It basically lists recent transactions and my bank account number, and wants me to reply yes or no to it if they are my purchases. Is this real or a fraud? Bit strange why I would only get this randomly now. I've been purchasing PC parts for my new PC off amazon the past few weeks and not gotten this. Is it safe to reply to?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 534 ✭✭✭eezipc

Don't reply to it. Banks should never ask you to confirm any sort of details.
    If BOI are doing this then it is a bit reckless of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Hit "Reply" and see what email address pops into the "To" field.

Spoofing can make it look like the mail came from one address and tells your mail client to reply to another one.

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭Raekwondo

seamus wrote: »
    Hit "Reply" and see what email address pops into the "To" field.

Spoofing can make it look like the mail came from one address and tells your mail client to reply to another one.
    yeah it was to the same email as in the OP. Got a text on my phone with the same thing too. I guess the high amounts being sent raised a flag. 

• Closed Accounts Posts: 314 ✭✭Bank of Ireland: Janet

Raekwondo wrote: »
    Hi I just got an email from BOI about Visa Card Debit Security. The email is from fpucardsecurity@boi.com

It basically lists recent transactions and my bank account number, and wants me to reply yes or no to it if they are my purchases. Is this real or a fraud? Bit strange why I would only get this randomly now. I've been purchasing PC parts for my new PC off amazon the past few weeks and not gotten this. Is it safe to reply to?
    Good morning Raekwondo,

Thanks for your post.

To have this email investigated please forward it to our security team on 365security@boi.com and a colleague will reply to clarify if it originated from Bank of Ireland.

Thanks

Janette

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭Raekwondo

Raekwondo wrote: »

Good morning Raekwondo,

Thanks for your post.

To have this email investigated please forward it to our security team on 365security@boi.com and a colleague will reply to clarify if it originated from Bank of Ireland.

Thanks

Janette
    Have forwarded it on. Thanks. 

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19 BubblesAnseo1

Hey I just got the same email. What was the outcome of yours?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,810 ✭✭✭✭jimmii

Natwest do this via text with very similar wording guessing it's legit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 735 ✭✭✭Bank of Ireland: Nicola

Hey I just got the same email. What was the outcome of yours?
    Hi BubbleAnseo1, thanks for getting in touch.

This email doesn't request account details but is asking you to confirm if the transactions listed in the email were genuinely carried out by you, if you'd like to forward the email on to 365security@boi.com we’ll take a look and can confirm if it’s genuine.

Any requests for bank account information or asking you to click on links should be considered fraudulent and reported immediately by forwarding the email to 365security@boi.com and you can get more information here.

Please let me know if you need anything else.
    Thanks
    Nicola

Advertisement