Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pregnancy vitamins

Options
  • 07-04-2016 2:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,582 ✭✭✭

Could anyone recommend a good pregnancy vitamin please?

I am taking folic acid, but was thinking it would be no harm to add a supplement. Can't even look at milk right now but eating a lot of cheese. And have had a total turn of vegetables.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭sinead81

stickybean wrote: »

I am taking folic acid, but was thinking it would be no harm to add a supplement. Can't even look at milk right now but eating a lot of cheese. And have had a total turn of vegetables.

I bought pregnacare. I think it's €13 but it has folic acid and every other vitamin you can think of!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭Beanybabog

I bought pregnacare with omega oils. (two tablets a day) It's expensive and in reality you could buy pregnacare and a cheap omega supplement (make sure not full of vitamin A though). It's €19.99 a pack, boots do three for two, but I bought a bunch on amazon.

Totally turned off veg myself!! Like what's that about, I thought food aversions were supposed to help the baby. I've been living on carbs

• Registered Users Posts: 1,582 ✭✭✭stickybean

sinead81 wrote: »
    I bought pregnacare. I think it's €13 but it has folic acid and every other vitamin you can think of!

Thanks Sinead81, I will look it up :)

Beanybabog wrote: »
    Totally turned off veg myself!! Like what's that about, I thought food aversions were supposed to help the baby. I've been living on carbs

I am still very early, but for the last two weeks Beanybabog all I want is bread and pasta, pretty much plain.

I am still very early, but for the last two weeks Beanybabog all I want is bread and pasta, pretty much plain.

I'm early too but I found a pasta shop near my job. All they cook is pasta, fresh delicious pasta with sauces and toppings. The guy actually gave me a loyalty card - that says a lot :D

• Advertisement

Hahaha!!! I love it :)

I have a small belly forming, definitely from the food, but I won't tell anyone :D:D:D OH said maybe it's twins... twin toasted sandwiches

• Registered Users Posts: 31 ChillyAngel

With Pregnacare you're just paying for the name/marketing etc. Check out the ingredients and get yourself to Lidl/Aldi and buy them separately for a fraction of the price.

Never thought of that ChillyAngel - thanks :)

Never thought of that ChillyAngel - thanks :)

When I found out I was pregnant I was dying to buy something like Pregnacare :D But looked at the label and if the same vitamins at home lol.

I'd rather pay the money because I'm lazy, but they are right. Folic acid 400mg is like 50c in tesco for 90. You could buy the pregnacare ingredients much cheaper. You'd probably have to take 20 tablets though!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭PhoenixParker

I went with centrum's standard women's multivitamin.
    I asked my GP and he said it was fine. There are things to watch out for, for instance if you have any history with your thyroid they're not suitable so it's best to ask.

I added a folic acid tablet to that and called myself good. There's no upper limit to folic acid in pregnancy so it didn't matter that centrum already had some folic acid.

Pregnacare & the like had too much iron which just makes me vomit.
    I'm recently switched to half a tablet of boots own brand pregnancy multi-vitamin per day + the folic acid.

I'm similar. I'm going with my blood results to tell me if I need anything extra. Too much of certain vitamins can be harmful, everyone's diet is different so two people taking pregnacare or similar will have much different needs.

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

My fertility consultant said that folic acid was essential, but other vitamins are unnecessary if you have a decent diet. A pregnancy multivitamin was no harm to take but they are not essential.

Check with a pharmacist regarding the dosages of vitamins in an ordinary multivitamin that it is a safe level for pregnancy though.

A baby is basically parasitic in that he/she will deplete your store of vitamins and minerals first, so for example if you become anaemic, chances are the baby has taken what they need of your iron stores and left you needing to supplement yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭Kathy22

I take pregnacare original which can be bought for approx €6 and then I just buy the Omega 3 supplement in either Aldi or Lidl which is super cheap. The pregnancare with omega 3 are a crazy price. For the first couple of months I just took folic acid, now towards the end I have been advised to take Floradix to boost my iron levels.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,230 ✭✭✭Merkin

If you've a good diet then folic acid and vitamin D are the only ones you need to take. I used Pregnacare with Omega oils but always found them a little hard on the tummy. Boots do really good, inexpensive vitamins. Congrats on your great news xx

• Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭Penny Dreadful

I used Pregnacre. Didn't think about an alternative on my first pregnancy because .....well it was my first and my doctor told me to take it so I did.
    This time around I took it because I spent 23 weeks throwing up and while I usually have a very good diet and food at all was not for me during that time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 137 ✭✭Judge Trudy

Every medial professional says something different about this. I personally would be taking every extra vitamin and mineral I could get. Your body is depleted so much over the course of the pregnancy and after. I was chatting to a lady earlier and she said she nearly died from a haemorrhage while giving birth due to low iron levels. The EU MOM free goodie bag from Supervalu has a free weeks supply of Pregnacare in the bag. You could try these to see if they agree with you.

Local pharmacy had pregcare on special this month so I grabbed a box to see how I get on.

Friends has recommended boots own brand - it contains ginger which is good for morning sickness. Also they are on 3 for 2 so might try get some over the weekend. Thanks for all the advice

• Registered Users Posts: 4 dusst

Although I had a big trouble keeping up food the first months (due to hyperemesis) I was only taking folic acid. I had asked my consultant and told me that my blood tests did not indicate that I was missing
    something.
    Last week i had my diabetes test and I received the scary same day call only to hear that I'm missing iron (sugar lvls oki). Now I started ferrograd follic and vitamin c. I only take 2 times a week though cause iron tablets cause nausea and they are afraid I'll go back being sick.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,914 ✭✭✭appledrop

Like dust I had hypermesis so I was advised by my consultant to only take folic acid as pregnancare can make you worse. Turned out when my blood levels were tested that I actually had excellent irons levels despite being so sick + not been able to keep anything down so extra vitamins + iron would have only made things worse. My throid was also over active from the sickness at the start + again vitamins wouldn't have helped. Everyone is going to be different but the thing is the baby will take everything is needs from you so I wouldnt worry too much.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭Digs

I was the same as a few posters and couldn't take it as it made my sickness and vomiting decidedly worse. My consultant also said this it was fine not to take it and to just take folic acid. Pregnacare also gave me really bad headaches which I knew from my first pregnancy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Roesy

I'm taking the Boots one with ginger. Also has the omega supplement. I sometimes wonder is it making my nausea worse too. I take it in the evening and have been having a lot of nausea at nighttime as well. This is the first pregnancy I've been advised to take it at this stage. With my other ones I've been told folic acid is grand if my diet is okay. Same midwife and same consultant as my previous pregnancies. I'm just wondering is it because this pregnancy is close to the last one.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,367 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

I was taking pregnacare, but found it harsh on my stomach. I changed to the Seven Seas one for Pregnancy which I got in Boots and its only about €6 (pregnacare is about €13). I compared them to the pregnacare and they seem to be identical, plus it has ginger in it too. I have found them to be good.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,356 ✭✭✭Lucuma

the big thing about Pregnacare is that it has iron in it.
    towards the end especially you can get depleted in iron, that's why my midwife recommends pregnacare the whole way through. it's handy to get everything you need in one tablet.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,367 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

Lucuma wrote: »
    the big thing about Pregnacare is that it has iron in it.
    towards the end especially you can get depleted in iron, that's why my midwife recommends pregnacare the whole way through. it's handy to get everything you need in one tablet.

The seven seas one has the same amount of iron in it. Even then I had to be put on extra iron separately as my levels were a bit low. Not unusual for me anyway as I have been anaemic in the past.

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

Taking an iron supplement can make you constipated, which in turn can aggravate piles. So if you already have that as a side effect to pregnancy you might be making things worse for no reason, if your iron levels are already grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭irishgirl19

I took pregnancare max. The pregnacare range is normally 3 for 2 in boots. I ended up having to take galfer in thd last 3 mths for extra iron because my bloods showed my iron went low even with the pregnacare

Advertisement