Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Engineering Questions! Please help :)

Options
  • 07-04-2016 2:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭

Hi there,

I'm quite interested in study engineering at UCD and I've a few questions to ask and hoping for some feedback :)

Firstly, I'm looking at getting a B1 or A2 in the leaving for HL maths, would this be a good level to begin at for college. Although I really like some bits of maths like algebra and trigonometry, I'm not so great at theorems/proofs/geometry. Is the level in first year very hard?

Next, I'm a bit worried that I didn't do physics for the LC although I do Bio and Chem and always get A1s. I did like it in JC and found light/sound/electricity all that very interesting. I've watched some videos on Khan Academy and like the physics on that too and I'm willing to put in extra work. Would it be very hard without physics or do the lecturers start from scratch?

Also I'm interested in biomedical engineering or now but this could change. Do they give you enough info and support to make a choice about which branch to go into?

Lastly, how are the hours and timetables? Is there a good mix in the class and do they get on well? I'm a girl so hoping to have some girl-friends too because I know there will be plenty of guys!

Thank you so much! Appreciated :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭The_N4sir

Hi there,

I am a first year student studying Engineering so I will try my best to answer your questions.

I got a B2 in maths for the leaving and the maths is not overly difficult (I know it is only first year but still...) so you would have no issues with a B1/A2.

You are required to know some theorems for Algebra and Calculus if I remember correctly but you are not required to prove them, unlike the Leaving Cert.

Now I don't mean to worry you too much but many found physics one of the hardest, if not the hardest modules of the year.
    The pace really starts to pick up after a few weeks and not doing physics will obviously require extra study. It is manageable if you put in the extra work. And yes, the lecturers do start from scratch.

There are talks in both semesters from all the disciplines. These usually consist of the programme coordinators, current students and past graduates. They are very informative and give tell you what you would study in the later years and an idea of what jobs there are to choose from after graduation.

The hours are not too bad to be honest. Some weeks are worse than others but usually it is 25/26+ hours a week. It can get pretty hectic around mid terms and the end of semester exams with assignments and projects but stay on top of the work and you should be fine.

This year, around 30% percent of the year are girls which is apparently the first year this has happened. This will only continue to grow.
    You will be split in to different groups during your first week. This is a great opportunity to meet others and with the different events and societies, there are a lot of possibilities to make new friends.

If you have any other questions, do not hesitate to PM me.

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭Andru93

Hi there,

I'm quite interested in study engineering at UCD and I've a few questions to ask and hoping for some feedback :)

Firstly, I'm looking at getting a B1 or A2 in the leaving for HL maths, would this be a good level to begin at for college. Although I really like some bits of maths like algebra and trigonometry, I'm not so great at theorems/proofs/geometry. Is the level in first year very hard?

Next, I'm a bit worried that I didn't do physics for the LC although I do Bio and Chem and always get A1s. I did like it in JC and found light/sound/electricity all that very interesting. I've watched some videos on Khan Academy and like the physics on that too and I'm willing to put in extra work. Would it be very hard without physics or do the lecturers start from scratch?

Also I'm interested in biomedical engineering or now but this could change. Do they give you enough info and support to make a choice about which branch to go into?

Lastly, how are the hours and timetables? Is there a good mix in the class and do they get on well? I'm a girl so hoping to have some girl-friends too because I know there will be plenty of guys!

Thank you so much! Appreciated :)

Well There Nandoslover,

Final year Chem Eng here,

So in relation to your few quesitons:
    - Maths grade yep that is fine, you only need a c3 at HL. But beware engineering is alot of Calculus. Not sure how much you do now of Calculus since I did the old course (pre-2011).

- Physics sort of important about 50-60% year normally has it going into the course. You do two modules of it (Physical Physics & Elemental Physics) just keep on track with it and don't be afraid to ask for help.
    The lecturers will start from beginning though they won't linger there for too long.

- When I start college I originally wanted to do Mechanical, I found Chemical engineering more interesting and that is where I'm today. There will be plenty of organized talks about the different areas within engineering throughout both semesters along with taster modules which you can do in semester two to give you an insight.
    Normally you are free to choose which every branch you feel most interest in via a survey at the end of the year, I know in chem there is a 50 student limit due to logistics but it is rare when that is reach.

- So when I started there was about 25 girls in a class of 250. As the poster above pointed out its now closer to 30%.
    Hours 9am every day basically, if I remember right first year is about 25- 30hours a week of lectures.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭nandoslover

Andru93 wrote: »
    Well There Nandoslover,

Final year Chem Eng here,

So in relation to your few quesitons:
    - Maths grade yep that is fine, you only need a c3 at HL. But beware engineering is alot of Calculus. Not sure how much you do now of Calculus since I did the old course (pre-2011).

- Physics sort of important about 50-60% year normally has it going into the course. You do two modules of it (Physical Physics & Elemental Physics) just keep on track with it and don't be afraid to ask for help.
    The lecturers will start from beginning though they won't linger there for too long.

- When I start college I originally wanted to do Mechanical, I found Chemical engineering more interesting and that is where I'm today. There will be plenty of organized talks about the different areas within engineering throughout both semesters along with taster modules which you can do in semester two to give you an insight.
    Normally you are free to choose which every branch you feel most interest in via a survey at the end of the year, I know in chem there is a 50 student limit due to logistics but it is rare when that is reach.

- So when I started there was about 25 girls in a class of 250. As the poster above pointed out its now closer to 30%.
    Hours 9am every day basically, if I remember right first year is about 25- 30hours a week of lectures.

Thanks so much for the great info! Much appreciated! Could you give me some info on how you found the mechanics module?

Also, since you're in final year, how are the career prospects? Do many people go abroad to work or for masters? And also do UCD organise placements and if yes, from when?

Thank you so much! :):)

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭Andru93

Thanks so much for the great info! Much appreciated! Could you give me some info on how you found the mechanics module?

Also, since you're in final year, how are the career prospects? Do many people go abroad to work or for masters? And also do UCD organise placements and if yes, from when?

Thank you so much! :):)

So Mechanics isn't terrible bad imo. The best description of it is applied maths with the third dimension added. So since you haven't done physics you might have a difficult curve to climb but there is plenty of help available. Just remember to ASK!

So for Chem Engs 90% of us have Jobs now. For Chems placements opportunities are organize through the school (split off of the main college of engineering) they can vary in length from 3-15months. Currently they are optional for Chems though this is likely to change very soon. Chemical Engineering is a special case as we are a four year undergraduate degree accredited to Masters by iChemE.

So for everyone else it is a 3 years undergraduate plus a 2 year masters with a 6-9 month compulsory internship, this can either be organize by yourself or through the school if that root proves fruitless.
    As for Job opportunities it varies from discipline. The best way to describe it is by graduation those that want a Job will have one.
    As for aboard opportunities the world is your oyster. :)

When I start college everything was falling apart international though now looks like things are starting to move upwards and quickly at that. So in 6 years time when your in my position (believe me it is going to go fast!) you should be well set.

Advertisement