Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do Bank of Ireland use their own valuers to assess the value of a home

Options
  • 07-04-2016 3:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,049 ✭✭✭

Hi. I am considering applying for a remortgage. The purpose of this is to upgrade the house to be more energy efficient and also to get a lot of work down in the front and back garden.

To be honest I suspect that the house value may not be much more than my current mortgage but I just want to check and see if I would be eligible to apply for a remortgage before I go down the route of personal loans.

My mortgage is with Bank of Ireland. I rang them twice today but both times got cut off. Anyway I assume the first step in the process is to get my house valued. Does anybody know if BOI use their own valuers (do they have a list of valuers) or can I use my own?

Also does anybody know what roughly the price would be for a valuation?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭draiochtanois

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 855 ✭✭✭mickoneill31

Got mine valued recently by BOI in Swords. Cost €100.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,049 ✭✭✭gazzer

Brilliant. Thanks guys.

Thats not too expensive. I will give them another call in the morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,049 ✭✭✭gazzer

Well I got speaking to a BOI representative earlier this morning. I explained that I was looking to make my house more energy efficient as well as getting some landscaping done and also to consolidate a car loan.

He crunched some numbers and came back with a provisional monthly mortgage fee. I then asked what the proceedure is for valuing the house, only to be told that "Well that doesnt necessarily have to be done, once you can show a itemised list of the work you want done in the house, that should be sufficient".

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Gazzer- I'd take that with a grain of salt- normal practice is a fresh valuation would have to be done.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭newacc2015

gazzer wrote: »
    Well I got speaking to a BOI representative earlier this morning. I explained that I was looking to make my house more energy efficient as well as getting some landscaping done and also to consolidate a car loan.

He crunched some numbers and came back with a provisional monthly mortgage fee. I then asked what the proceedure is for valuing the house, only to be told that "Well that doesnt necessarily have to be done, once you can show a itemised list of the work you want done in the house, that should be sufficient".

You should go to a CU or get a personal loan. You should use a mortgage to carry home improvements or for a car loan. If you plan on taking out a long mortgage, the cost of credit will be several more expensive in the long run than a CU loan

Advertisement