Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tallaght AC 5k - 1st May 10.30am

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭spaceylou

Have signed up for this already.

Thanks for the route map - just to double check from the green dot is it an anti-clockwise circle, back around and then into the finish?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭Myles Splitz

spaceylou wrote: »
    Have signed up for this already.

Thanks for the route map - just to double check from the green dot is it an anti-clockwise circle, back around and then into the finish?

Yes start on greenhills road, left in Tallaght Village down throuhg Bancroft and around by the National Basketball arena and come up to a bit of a drag in the last mile up Greenhills road and back onto the track from there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭spaceylou

Thank you, my only experience of the area is bringing the car for NCT so might include a reccy in my LSR this weekend

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,062 ✭✭✭davedanon

Just over a week to go!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,252 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

I may do this. What's the parking like over that way for this..?

• Advertisement

Dub13 wrote: »
    I may do this. What's the parking like over that way for this..?

Not bad. there's limited parking in the club, and then the school carpark will be available next door, and the church carpark just up the road can take overspill.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Stiobhan

I'm a visitor staying at Bachelors Walk so if anyone in the centre is able to offer me a lift to the event that would be great. Thanks, Steven

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭tomwaits48

is there a bag drop area?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Stiobhan wrote: »
    I'm a visitor staying at Bachelors Walk so if anyone in the centre is able to offer me a lift to the event that would be great. Thanks, Steven

Just get the 27 bus from the quays down the road from you. Down after the laughter lounge

tomwaits48 wrote: »
    is there a bag drop area?

Not officially. The dressing-rooms will be open, and there are showers if anyone wants them. There is a room upstairs where registration will be happening, and you can leave bags there. While there will more than likely be people there at all times, there is no guarantee that bags will be looked after. Basically, it's the same as at any club race (Raheny 5, Terenure etc). You leave valuables unattended at your own risk. Probably best to leave phone/wallet etc either at home, locked in your car, or with a non-running colleague, should you have one.

• Advertisement

Just get the 27 bus from the quays down the road from you. Down after the laughter lounge

Nix on that. The first 27 on Sundays won't get you there on time. There are other buses that run from town to Tallaght (65 and 77, I think), which start early enough on Sundays, but which won't be as convenient. The other option might be to take the Luas, which runs by quite close to Bachelor's Walk, but will drop you at the far side of the Square, leaving you with a 20 min walk (or handy 10 min warm-up!) to the club.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Stiobhan

Thanks for the information. I really don't know beyond the centre at all but I should be able to get myself there unlike the following week to The Patrick Pearse 5k at St Enda's as that starts at 9.15 and I can't see that public transport will get me there on a Sunday for that time. Also doing the Terenure 5m the week after that and did the Dublin Remembers run yesterday so managed to find a run for each Sunday of my stay. Offers of a lift to any of these still welcome!
    Thanks, Steven

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Stiobhan wrote: »
    Thanks for the information. I really don't know beyond the centre at all but I should be able to get myself there unlike the following week to The Patrick Pearse 5k at St Enda's as that starts at 9.15 and I can't see that public transport will get me there on a Sunday for that time. Also doing the Terenure 5m the week after that and did the Dublin Remembers run yesterday so managed to find a run for each Sunday of my stay. Offers of a lift to any of these still welcome!
    Thanks, Steven

LUAS is probably your best bet for Tallaght, even with the walk on the other side
    For the Patrick Pearse run, the first 16 on Sunday is at 8.20, that should get you to Grange Road before 9
    The 16 will also get you to Terenure crossroads. So will any of the 15s, and they start at around 9 on Sunday, so the Terenure 5 mile shouldn't be a problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,606 ✭✭✭RedRunner

Am considering doing this but it will have to be a late call pending other things not happening. When is registration closed or can you register on the morning of race?

You can walk up and register on the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,606 ✭✭✭RedRunner

davedanon wrote: »
    You can walk up and register on the day.

Cool, thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 49 Red_Open

I'm thinking of doing this but I'm only really starting running, I could maybe run it in 35 mins. Would I be ok to enter or would I be out of my depth?

Red_Open wrote: »
    I'm thinking of doing this but I'm only really starting running, I could maybe run it in 35 mins. Would I be ok to enter or would I be out of my depth?

There's no elitism in club-run races. It'll be quick at the pointy end alright, but don't worry, there'll be people behind you at the finish. We usually have some walkers as well. I just hope there's some sandwiches and tea left. Depends how many northsiders turn up , really.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,081 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

Tidy race this morning, registration was quick, started on time, nice left hand course, just iron out that hill and turn off the breeze ;)
    Well done Tallaght, would have expected a bigger showing from nearby Dublin clubs despite Gowran tomorrow which normally only attracts a couple of hundred in total.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

BeepBeep67 wrote: »
    Tidy race this morning, registration was quick, started on time, nice left hand course, just iron out that hill and turn off the breeze ;)
    Well done Tallaght, would have expected a bigger showing from nearby Dublin clubs despite Gowran tomorrow which normally only attracts a couple of hundred in total.

Well done on the category win.

• Advertisement

Rathfarnham were very well represented, as were Bros Pearse.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭Bungy Girl

Great event, many thanks to Tallaght AC. Seamless registration, closed roads, lovely spread and a very welcome shower. All for €15! Loved the finish on the track too.

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭tomwaits48

well organised race, credit to Tallaght AC.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,895 ✭✭✭Sacksian

I think because it's still a new race, in relative terms, that it doesn't really feature yet in a lot of club calendars as a club target in the same way that Raheny, Rathfarnham or Jingle Bells does, or even the Tom Brennan 5k.

It may just be an awkward time for a club target too. Compare the turnout yesterday to some of the Meath + Kildare 5ks, where you'll see deeper fields and greater representation from some Dublin clubs - something similar to the Battle of Clontarf 10, which gets much less support from Dublin clubs than a number of other 10 milers further afield.

After that, it might be a question of promotion - there was some discussion on boards a few years ago when it changed from a 5 miler (in October) to a 5k (in May), about the possibility of a Dublin Road Race league:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056911896

Think that could be a great initiative - and could help both this race and the Novice championships (which I think are only revived a couple of years too).

• Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Sacksian wrote: »
    I think because it's still a new race, in relative terms, that it doesn't really feature yet in a lot of club calendars as a club target in the same way that Raheny, Rathfarnham or Jingle Bells does, or even the Tom Brennan 5k.

It may just be an awkward time for a club target too. Compare the turnout yesterday to some of the Meath + Kildare 5ks, where you'll see deeper fields and greater representation from some Dublin clubs - something similar to the Battle of Clontarf 10, which gets much less support from Dublin clubs than a number of other 10 milers further afield.

After that, it might be a question of promotion - there was some discussion on boards a few years ago when it changed from a 5 miler (in October) to a 5k (in May), about the possibility of a Dublin Road Race league:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056911896

Think that could be a great initiative - and could help both this race and the Novice championships (which I think are only revived a couple of years too).

Leixlip 5k will take alot from our area in Lucan, so people would wait for this one.

Advertisement