Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Another Election

Options
  • 07-04-2016 4:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,030 ✭✭✭

If there is another election:

1. Would you change your vote?

2. Would the outcome in Donegal be different?

I would change my No. 1 - candidate didn't do well, no chance of getting elected/prob wouldn't run again.

I think Thomas Pringle would fail this time & Sinn Fein would get 2.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,198 ✭✭✭buckfasterer

I think that SF would definitely change their strategy in another election and would more than likely get the 2nd candidate elected. They messed up big time. Hopefully FF and FG would get a kicking (here's hoping :rolleyes:) for the absolute disgrace thats been going on for the last 40 or so days.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,627 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

No harm but none of the parties are coming out of this with any credit.

I assume your comment that's anti FF/FG doesn't take account of the fact that the countries 3Rd biggest party is conning the electorate when they have zero interest in participating in government and having to make the hard and often unpopular decisions that come with running a country. Being in opposition and slagging off every decision is the cowards way out in my opinion.

Whats the point in moaning about a government when you have the chance to have power, change the things you moan about and make a difference.

Being anti everything is the easy and populist option.

• Registered Users Posts: 46,101 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Niman, (and anyone else contemplating going down this road) keep the posts to local politics / issues please. There is a politics forum for the more general or national stuff that you have just posted. Thanks

To be fair I was only responding to the previous post which was political.

But point taken.

For the record, don't think I would change my vote.

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,121 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

I don't think I'd change my vote either, should we have another election.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭babybuilder

NIMAN wrote: »
    No harm but none of the parties are coming out of this with any credit.

I assume your comment that's anti FF/FG doesn't take account of the fact that the countries 3Rd biggest party is conning the electorate when they have zero interest in participating in government and having to make the hard and often unpopular decisions that come with running a country. Being in opposition and slagging off every decision is the cowards way out in my opinion.

Whats the point in moaning about a government when you have the chance to have power, change the things you moan about and make a difference.

Being anti everything is the easy and populist option.

Civil war alive and well!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭echo beach

byte wrote: »
    I don't think I'd change my vote either, should we have another election.

If nobody is going to change their vote then there isn't much point in having another election.

If there is another election I will not vote for any of the 5 candidates elected this time. They have had their chance and if they and/or the parties they represent can't form a government then somebody else deserves a chance.
    If everybody pledged NOT to vote for existing TDs then you can be sure there won't be another election.

If they weren't getting paid or be able to claim expenses until they form a Government, you can be damn sure we'd be up and running by now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 889 ✭✭✭opiniated

No. I wouldn't change my vote.

I put a lot of thought into deliberate, tactical voting.
    So, the only way I would change my vote is if some of the candidates don't run.

I do think SF would change their tactics, and probably get two TDs elected.

It's hard to say, really. It depends how many Independents would run again, and if some don't, where their votes would go.
    For example, if the Independent votes (assuming some didn't run -I'm fairly sure McBrearty wont!) went to Thomas Pringle, then SF might not get a second TD elected.

Both FF candidates would probably be safe. McHugh would probably be re-elected for FG.
    Pearse Doherty would also be safe enough.

The rest all hangs on the Independents running, or not....

• Registered Users Posts: 46,101 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Firblog wrote: »
    1. Would you change your vote?
    Personally speaking I voted 1 - 5 the last time out. My first and second choices would probably remain the same I think but I would certainly change the others a bit. Of course all of that would be down to who would be running as Im more of a person voter as opposed to a party voter.

Firblog wrote: »
    2. Would the outcome in Donegal be different?
    Not a lot Id think but with hindsight if SF organise themselves better they would probably secure 2 seats next time out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 422 ✭✭The Assistinator

I think the biggest surprise here would be pat the cope, after getting elected putting his name forward for ceann comhairle a few a days after the election hope he gets a bit of backlash from that very much self serving.

Maybe.

I'm inclined to wonder if the Cope only ran to get the local vote for McConalogue?
    He has retired in the past (I think?).

So, if he didn't actually want the job, it would make sense for him to want a part-time, as opposed to full-time job.

I've no inside information, or anything. It's just my own theory based on FF transfer strategies in the past, and the fact that the Cope is 68 years old, with a raft of pensions under his belt by now, it's not as if he needs the money....... or the stress.

• Registered Users Posts: 422 ✭✭The Assistinator

opiniated wrote: »
    Maybe.

I'm inclined to wonder if the Cope only ran to get the local vote for McConalogue?
    He has retired in the past (I think?).

So, if he didn't actually want the job, it would make sense for him to want a part-time, as opposed to full-time job.

I've no inside information, or anything. It's just my own theory based on FF transfer strategies in the past, and the fact that the Cope is 68 years old, with a raft of pensions under his belt by now, it's not as if he needs the money....... or the stress.
    Yeah agree it could have been strategy but a very proud Donegal man (that he confesses to be) and not be able to do anything for the county, stinks of looking after himself and leaves a bitter taste.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Wondering if the boundary changes effected the polls this time around. Changing from two constituencies from just the one north of Bundoran/Ballyshannon. A second vote could change things around the voter gets more used to their new candidates.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,385 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

wouldn't change my number 1
    very unimpressed with most of our representatives (so my view hasn't changed since before the election)
    hope sinn feinn dont get 2 they dont deserve it neither do FF either in my opinion

Mint Sauce wrote: »
    Wondering if the boundary changes effected the polls this time around. Changing from two constituencies from just the one north of Bundoran/Ballyshannon. A second vote could change things around the voter gets more used to their new candidates.

I think so.

There was literature coming through my letterbox from candidates, who, while well known in the Northeast, left me wondering just what they stood for (apart from the party politicians, obviously)

The candidates themselves mostly didn't canvass my area, whether that was because of the sheer size of the new constituency, or because they didn't (in some cases), want to face the voters - or both - is an interesting question.

It also begs the question how that, in turn, affected the voters.
    Was it a case of "I don't know anything about this candidate, so I'm not voting for him/her", and/or "better the devil you know!"

In my case, at least, it didn't help my order of preference, much. I did try to research candidates, but there wasn't always a lot of information available, so, I went for the "change" candidates, with a close eye on social issues, and left it at that. I doubt if the majority of people went to the same effort, tbh.

Personally, I suspect it was a case of "All politics is local" and a lot of people will have voted for the local guy/gal, fragmenting the vote, and making it impossible to predict how things will pan out in the event of another election, assuming some of the candidates don't run again.

Not that you'll hear that in any of the "expert" post-election analysis, of course.:D

Advertisement