Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

contract negotiation headache

Options
  • 07-04-2016 5:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14

Hi,

I'm looking at a medium-term position (~9months) through a recruiting agency with a corporation. At the end of this contract I want to be in a good position to negotiate a new contract with said corporation. For this I'd like to gain more understanding of how recruitment companies usually (if there is such a thing) operate.

I understand the recruitment company will get some money if I get hired by the corporation. Are they entitled to remuneration for subsequent contracts I might be negotiating with their client? If so is there a "standard" cooldown period following a contract where this entitlement might apply?

On one hand I feel like I should get compensated a bit more considering the duration of the contract. On the other hand I can probably bargain harder without the overhead of paying a recruiter. While I know I might be getting ahead of myself here, I'd like your input on what you think is justified and how does it compare.

R

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Who would be paying you if you started with the corporation?

• Registered Users Posts: 14 sirgzu

Afaik the corporation would be paying me wages.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

sirgzu wrote: »
    Afaik the corporation would be paying me wages.

If you are being directly employed by the corporation then most likely the recruitment agency will just get a finders fee when you start.

At the end of the contract if you are offered another by the corporation it will be direct and the recruitment agency won't be involved most likely.

Are you trying to use that to negotiate the salary for this first contract?

I'm trying to get all the information first. Then I'll decide what I consider relevant, with your input.

I'm trying to get all the information first. Then I'll decide what I consider relevant, with your input.

What information are you trying to get? Is it how the agency will deal with the employer/what commission they will get, and how it will be affected by a second contract?

• Advertisement

I understand the recruitment company will get some money if I get hired by the corporation. Are they entitled to remuneration for subsequent contracts I might be negotiating with their client? If so is there a "standard" cooldown period following a contract where this entitlement might apply?
    That's what I'm trying to iron out mostly. The rest is opinion stuff but I'd welcome it too.

Advertisement