Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

LOI: League of Ireland Fixtures (Week 7), April 8-11

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Need to get back on track quickly after our mauling on Sat!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭CHealy

City need to bounce back tonight after a disappointing result up in Sligo. Don't expect Wexford to be almost non existent like Longford were a few backs, but a solid 2-0 win will set us up nicely for Galway away next Friday, although given the way we setup away from home, I wouldnt be too confident.

If Dundalk turn up to Longford in good form tomorrow night, I reckon they could hit them for 6 or 7 aswell.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Weather to be woeful tomorrow for Bray :o

KO is at 7.30

We've been very inconsistent but hopefully have enough to beat Bray.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,496 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Weather to be woeful tomorrow for Bray :o

KO is at 7.30

We've been very inconsistent but hopefully have enough to beat Bray.

Really need a result here, quite a setback against Wexford last week so hopefully make up for it.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

Big game for Rovers and not a happy hunting ground. Last place Rovers lost away from home...was Derry in September. Not many goals in the games usually either

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,811 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

Raining a bit in Derry at the minute but should hopefully clear up. We're playing well at the minute so I'd fancy us to keep our run of good results going.

a Derry 1-0 win would be be the likeliest scoreline. Shaw out so it looks like Miele shifted out on the wing and Drennan to start I'd guess.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,279 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Decent evening for the game in Galway, we need to be beating the likes of Harps if we are to push on this season. Expect a very tough game with Harps likely to sit back and defend, hopefully our extra bit of quality can count.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,373 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

We should be winning in Inchicore.

Hope we don't fall apart in the second half like we have a few times this season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Why do RTE think its okay to interview managers DURING play. Bit disrespectful I think, amd totally cringeworthy.

Not to get back on top of this game btw, and not be so hesitant infront of goal.

• Advertisement

We badly need someone who can finish. We waste so many chances.

Two points dropped.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,443 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

Maxi Kouogun. Goal machine.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,468 ✭✭✭White Horse

Oat23 wrote: »

Two points dropped.

Pats were awful. It was two points dropped.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

CCFC were absolutely awful tonight. Barely scraped the draw against a very very limited Wexford.

Blame lies with the manager again. No discernible tactics and very odd substitutions. Beattie at right full was a masterstroke :rolleyes:

We will win nothing with Caulfield.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Oat23 wrote: »

Two points dropped.

Definitely an improvement on the Harps game. Tried to stay in the game more rather than sit back. Your right on the finishing though. Still getting lost at times coming into the box and too hesitant when the goal is in front of us.

What the hell is happening in Derry? My eyes have been focused on the bottom 3 so far this season and I only realised tonight they were joint top. Now leading the way after their win against Shams.

Madness.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,923 ✭✭✭To Elland Back

gimmick wrote: »
    CCFC were absolutely awful tonight. Barely scraped the draw as a very very limited opposition to Wexford.

Must have been a typo but I fixed it for ya

Solid win against what I'd describe as a wretched Harps side. They sat back, bank of four and a bank of five in front of that, lumped the ball forward, rarely passed the ball and relied 100% on set pieces, similar to Stoke at their worst under Pulis. We didn't play overly well but created a very good goal and it's another three points.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,053 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Pat Fenlon, your boys took a hell of a beating.

After the shocking performance of our opening game away to Harps, we have seen some change. Fair play to Kenny Shiels, we looked like relegation certainties after the 1St game, now playing well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

A Rofus loss.

How delicious. ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 734 ✭✭✭DundalkDuffman

NIMAN wrote: »
    Pat Fenlon, your boys took a hell of a beating.

After the shocking performance of our opening game away to Harps, we have seen some change. Fair play to Kenny Shiels, we looked like relegation certainties after the 1St game, now playing well.

Early days but Derry are the best side in Oriel so far this season. They were mortal certs to beat Rovers tonight

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 393 ✭✭damemcd

and we were favourites to beat Derry in de bookies......however they figured that.

Is there anyone in the 38 games so far in the Premier Division to concede first and win?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 561 ✭✭✭Foxx92

Galway Pats first day of the season

I think alot of City fans finally realised last night that Caulfield hasn't a clue, and the only thing we'll be playing for this year is Europe. Wexford totally outplayed us in the first 20 mins but thats what you get for leaving our best player Beattie on the bench and starting Buckley, who would struggle to get a game for Cobh Ramblers. Im not even mad or dissapointed after the result, its just another bullet point to add to the list of unbelievable decisions by JC.

Wexfords keeper made about 5 top class saves and on another night we would have come away with a 6-1 win, but you dont win anything drawing at home to promoted opposition. Galway away next Friday and I think a draw is all we can be hopeful for at this stage. Long season ahead.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,056 ✭✭✭applehunter

I think the performance in Iceland was that moment for most fans tbh.

Unless there are things that have happened in training etc. no reason for Beattie to be on the bench. He should be 1st name on the team sheet.

Beattie starting on the bench I can understand IF it was done for rotation purposes and so JC could maximise his squad. Only that is acceptable for me.

Dooley was very poor last night also.

When Ian Turner is one of your better players you know things are not going great.

Due to a road traffic collision the N11 is closed from junction 7 Bray South. Traffic coming into Bray from Dublin is heavy as a result. Supporters are advised to leave extra time for their journe

In case any Bohs fans see this beforehand!

A long season is in full swing. Will it finally be the year?

My heart sinks every time I see the update a player injured to be replaced by Alan Byrne!

• Advertisement

Mushy wrote: »
    A long season is in full swing. Will it finally be the year?

My heart sinks every time I see the update a player injured to be replaced by Alan Byrne!

I can't see Longford finishing above Bray. We played both and while Bray were poor on the night, Longford offered nothing.

Looking at Bray's squad, they should be nowhere near the relegation zone and I expect them to pull clear of it as the season goes on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭overshoot

Solid win against what I'd describe as a wretched Harps side. They sat back, bank of four and a bank of five in front of that, lumped the ball forward, rarely passed the ball and relied 100% on set pieces, similar to Stoke at their worst under Pulis. We didn't play overly well but created a very good goal and it's another three points.

in fairness Ollie was always a defensive coach, the lads can play but there is weaknesses which would be exploited if we went for an open game. We lack a goal scorer so need to keep it tight. You probably have 4 players capable of scoring more than any of our currently fit players!
    Took a punt on Rafter, will see if he can get fit and it pays off, id expect him to get a a half next monday in the cup against ye.
    Houston, Molloy, Mailey and Foy missing from midfield on friday too (although Houston did get 15 mins). The first two are lads we need if we are going to compete (and play a bit more) this year... and we are competing at different levels so il take stoke if it means survival!

Anyway Pats tonight... hopefully it goes better than out last meeting!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

overshoot wrote: »
    in fairness Ollie was always a defensive coach, the lads can play but there is weaknesses which would be exploited if we went for an open game. We lack a goal scorer so need to keep it tight. You probably have 4 players capable of scoring more than any of our currently fit players!
    Took a punt on Rafter, will see if he can get fit and it pays off, id expect him to get a a half next monday in the cup against ye.
    Houston, Molloy, Mailey and Foy missing from midfield on friday too (although Houston did get 15 mins). The first two are lads we need if we are going to compete (and play a bit more) this year... and we are competing at different levels so il take stoke if it means survival!

Is the weather as bad in Donegal as it is in Dublin right now? Any chance the game could be called off again?

monkey9 wrote: »
    Is the weather as bad in Donegal as it is in Dublin right now? Any chance the game could be called off again?

its just a few drops on the window here... but I am south of Barnesmore Gap... there could be a monsoon in Ballybofey for all I know! I see a few similiar questions on our forum if anything different comes back Il let you know

edit: fairly reliable poster - definitely going ahead

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,838 ✭✭✭doncarlos

CHealy wrote: »
    I think alot of City fans finally realised last night that Caulfield hasn't a clue, and the only thing we'll be playing for this year is Europe. Wexford totally outplayed us in the first 20 mins but thats what you get for leaving our best player Beattie on the bench and starting Buckley, who would struggle to get a game for Cobh Ramblers. Im not even mad or dissapointed after the result, its just another bullet point to add to the list of unbelievable decisions by JC.

Wexfords keeper made about 5 top class saves and on another night we would have come away with a 6-1 win, but you dont win anything drawing at home to promoted opposition. Galway away next Friday and I think a draw is all we can be hopeful for at this stage. Long season ahead.

Two weeks ago I said that Cork were weaker than last year and was assured by Cork fans that weren't. That is some change of opinion after two weeks that you'll win nothing. I still think all teams will drop points and won't be a whole lot separating sides. July transfer window will have a huge impact on the title. If Dundalk get a decent striker in we'll win it. Otherwise Cork have a great chance

doncarlos wrote: »
    Two weeks ago I said that Cork were weaker than last year and was assured by Cork fans that weren't. That is some change of opinion after two weeks that you'll win nothing. I still think all teams will drop points and won't be a whole lot separating sides. July transfer window will have a huge impact on the title. If Dundalk get a decent striker in we'll win it. Otherwise Cork have a great chance

We would have lost that game last season. We are definitely stronger personnel wise though, but from a tactics point of view JC is not learning.

• Advertisement

gimmick wrote: »
    We would have lost that game last season. We are definitely stronger personnel wise though, but from a tactics point of view JC is not learning.

He has learned. He should get a lot of credit for ripping up his tactics from the last two seasons and going out and signing players to play in a different style.

He realised that the Cork teams of 2014 and 2015 were not going to catch Dundalk.

Given the amount of changes, it will take time for the team to settle and become consistent.

He still has a habit of playing square pegs in round holes though.

I think Cork fans took the win in Oriel too seriously and are doing the same with a draw at home to Wexford.

doncarlos wrote: »

God forbid me for having a change of mind, but just to peter it out a bit, I think we have the players to win the league this year, but our manager doesn't believe so and sets them up as such, especially away from home.

The draw last Friday was a disaster because bar the first 25 minutes, Wexford were really really poor. We had enough chances to win 10 games, including one where Mark O'Sullivan somehow managed to put the ball over the bar from 2 inches out. We have Galway away next Friday, with the way the last few games have gone I think we are looking at a draw at best.

Athlone 0-1 Shels
    Waterford 1-2 Cobh
    Harps 0-0 Pats

overshoot wrote: »

Its understandable to a degree that ye will be negative for a time but it was surprising just how negative ye were. Tommy had a tendency to go negative at times last season when we didnt need to and it cost us. I think ye will have enough to stay up because of your defense and maybe home form if it stays solid, Longford look lost altogether.

ahhh ben.... see tonight we played football...and bugger it
    Had been all one way second half right up to the point where Brush flapped at a cross. I think it was Pats first time in our box second half... and with their second they also scored. Should have taken our chances. It was good to have Houston back starting for the first time since Derry, definitely gives us more going forward.
    First half, Pats started really brightly but we came into it after 10-15 mins and was even to HT. Ref lost complete control at the end, his own doing really.

ps. Kenny Shields found himself a nice seat on the half way line for this one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭civis_liberalis

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

That's a lovely team goal from Galway.

That's a lovely team goal from Galway.

Ya it was the best bit of play all night, we are well capable of those but just need to be brave enough to do it against the bigger sides consistently now.

Ya it was the best bit of play all night, we are well capable of those but just need to be brave enough to do it against the bigger sides consistently now.

Fantastic goal. Looking forward to my trip upto the West on Friday, where are away fans put in ED Park nowadays?

CHealy wrote: »
    Fantastic goal. Looking forward to my trip upto the West on Friday, where are away fans put in ED Park nowadays?

First section or two at the clubhouse end of the Old Stand. Will there be many of ye do you think? We are hopeful of around 2000 this week.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,443 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

Mad that we're less than a quarter of the way through the first division and Limerick are already 1/50 to win it.

First section or two at the clubhouse end of the Old Stand. Will there be many of ye do you think? We are hopeful of around 2000 this week.

Couple of buses heading up along with the usuals driving and exiles, I'd say 150 to 200.

Mad that we're less than a quarter of the way through the first division and Limerick are already 1/50 to win it.

To be honest, they should have been that pre-season.

Advertisement