Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

plant ID

Options
  • 07-04-2016 5:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭

Hi, can anyone identify what these plants are? They are in a wildflower meadow that I planted last year and these are the first things that have come to life. They are growing vigorously and I'm worried that it may be some kind of weed as I don't recall seeing those pink flowers last year that are just emerging now.

Hoping it's not some sort of bindweed or knotweed!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 506 ✭✭✭Hotei

highdef wrote: »
    Hi, can anyone identify what these plants are? They are in a wildflower meadow that I planted last year and these are the first things that have come to life. They are growing vigorously and I'm worried that it may be some kind of weed as I don't recall seeing those pink flowers last year that are just emerging now.

Hoping it's not some sort of bindweed or knotweed!

You haven't attached an image.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭highdef

My apologies....I did it on my phone and obviously didn't. Need practice so! On desktop now.20160407_170145.jpg

20160407_170152.jpg

20160407_170159.jpg

I halved the size of the images so hopefully quality is still ok.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 506 ✭✭✭Hotei

It looks like Red Campion Silene dioica.
    It's a nice looking plant and I'd leave it if I were you.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭highdef

Hotei wrote: »
    It looks like Red Campion Silene dioica.
    It's a nice looking plant and I'd leave it if I were you.
    That does indeed look like it. One of the many wildflowers in that corner of the garden so. The heart shaped leaves and vigorous growth had me worried that it was something very undesirable! It shan't be touched. It's doing well to be beginning to flower considering it is on a south facing dry slope with acidic soil and it's really April.

Advertisement