Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mixing two conputers

Options
  • 07-04-2016 6:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭

Hi,

My main pc is a custom build that was built by someone else. I'm also after buying a 2nd pc from a friend which is slightly better than mine.
    Plan is to take his mobo and cpu (I've a i5 3470 and b85 mobo, his is an i5 4690k and z97 mobo).
    Is there anything I should be aware of when transferring them over?
    I've a proper copy of win 8.1 while his is (possibly pirated) win 10.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

A 3470 won't work in a B85 so that's something to look out for. You're going to the 4590 and Z97? There won't be anything complicated there no

• Registered Users Posts: 4,028 ✭✭✭H3llR4iser

Not 100% sure what you are planning to do - if you're taking "his cpu and motherboard" then you are technically taking the new PC. You should keep the OS/Hard drive from the 4690k as well if you plan on not reinstalling Windows, because most likely the installed copies will simply fail to boot up properly on the mainboard they were not installed on. If you're going to reinstall Windows, then you shouldn't worry at all.

What are you going to transfer over from the 3470 to the 4690? I don't foresee too many issues, should be a case of picking up the best components from both (and you'll also end up with a second complete system based on the 3470).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

The real decider will be the graphics card, whichever system has the better card will be faster in everything as the 3470 is still very fast.

Not sure what else you would transfer over assuming you still want to be left with two functional PC's at the end. Keeping the 3470 build at a decent spec should be taken into account as it will sell for more cash that way.

It is a paper upgrade but a small enough one in reality, you probably would have been much better off just buying a new graphics card or similar if it's gaming you're doing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭martineatworld

Apologies, it's a b75 mobo I currently have.

It's just if I take his hard drive, I'll be taking the dodgy copy of Windows, which I'd hope to avoid. I was unsure of the complication of using his mobo with my hard drive.

Graphics cards are both 970s, and I've had no trouble with my own so I'll keep it. It's a kfa2 970 against his evga one. Can't imagine the performance difference being massive.

The switch is really just to give me an overclocking option down the line.

Thanks for the advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

If you put a new mobo and cpu into a system you have to reinstall windows, it is foolish not to.

If you have the Cd key its irrelevant what system you choose you will be reinstalling windows.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,028 ✭✭✭H3llR4iser

Technically, it looks to me like you're simply acquiring a new pc - it's got a (albeit marginally) better motherboard + cpu combination, and gives you the option of more effective overclocking. Doesn't look to me like it'd make sense to "fuse" the two PCs together unless you want to go for SLI with the two 970s.

I can confirm that trying to use a pre-installed OS on a motherboard it wasn't installed on by transferring the hard drive is...problematic at best. The PC might actually manage to start due to the Intel->Intel move, but it might not be stable and in any case, won't be optimized. You want to reinstall the OS :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,824 ✭✭✭RoyalMarine

stick your gpu into his PC and be done with it. (keeping his gpu in there too)

Advertisement