Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

iPhone 6 Battery dies @ 30%

• 07-04-2016 7:01pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,964 ✭✭✭

As above. Really annoying as it always dies on my way home from work. Is it software related or hardware? Phone is not even a year old :mad:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

Sitec wrote: »
    As above. Really annoying as it always dies on my way home from work. Is it software related or hardware? Phone is not even a year old :mad:

I'd be sending it off to Apple. I had an iPhone 5 that did the same and now it's just buried somewhere in a drawer in the kitchen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 125 ✭✭spoongibbon

It's software related. The latest update contains a patch note that refers to it. Upgrading fixed my problem, so make sure you have the most up to date software installed. Otherwise, try a full clean install - not from a backup. That should fix it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,135 ✭✭✭fifth

It's software related. The latest update contains a patch note that refers to it. Upgrading fixed my problem, so make sure you have the most up to date software installed. Otherwise, try a full clean install - not from a backup. That should fix it.

+1 on the software update. Fixed this issue for me on my iPhone 6 plus.

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭wush06

Do you have an Apple Watch because when I use radio player or flight radar on the watch same thing happens me. When I did use them apps when the battery is at 40-30% then it knocks off.
    Can't really explain it but done a full restore started from new then as soon as I use them apps phone knocks off. The phone will show that it needs to charge as soon as I power it on but if I leave the phone for about 30 minutes and try to power it again it will knock on..
    (I'm drunk 😗)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,320 ✭✭✭davo2001

I can nearly 100% guarantee its hardware related, had the same issue on my 5 and 6, had it replaced each time.

When it happened again on my 5 and it was out of warranty i replacement the battery myself and it fixed the issue.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,964 ✭✭✭Sitec

Thanks for all the replies. I don't have an apple watch and I've updated the software with no joy. Haven't done it from scratch though.

I would send it back to apple but there's a crack in the ccreen so they would probably just tell me where to go even though its not related.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭Sarn

Have you tried recalibrating the battery?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,964 ✭✭✭Sitec

Sarn wrote: »
    Have you tried recalibrating the battery?

What does this involve?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,064 ✭✭✭✭dodzy

This full clean install advice would never wash with me. I've years of stuff backed up and it's essential that all of this info migrates across to a new handset. I'm sure it's the same for many iOS users.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,206 ✭✭✭Zcott

dodzy wrote: »
    This full clean install advice would never wash with me. I've years of stuff backed up and it's essential that all of this info migrates across to a new handset. I'm sure it's the same for many iOS users.

Stuff like photos and contacts can all be restored from the cloud, and I suspect at a push most iOS users could survive a wipe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,887 ✭✭✭traprunner

I had a very similar problem with an iPhone 5. When I was in the US I took it to an Apple shop and they replaced the battery. No problems after that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,320 ✭✭✭davo2001

Sarn wrote: »

Sorry but I've never read an article so devoid of facts in my life as this one! What a load of rubbish!

davo2001 wrote: »
    Sorry but I've never read an article so devoid of facts in my life as this one! What a load of rubbish!

Fair enough. It is possible that the soft reset helps sort an issue with the battery status if it is software related. Obviously the above will not work if it is hardware related.

I can only personally speak of one experience where the phone was consistently turning off at about 30% and following a similar method in the link above resolved it. Unfortunately (or fortunately) I have not been in a position to test whether the solution is repeatable or if a more simplistic approach works.

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,045 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

Same thing was happening with my wife's 5s started powering off at 30% wait a few mins and then it would power back on again, then started happening at 40% and last week 60%, I replace the battery for her and its perfect again now, so in her case it was hardware related

Advertisement