Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shops leaving Manor west

Options
  • 07-04-2016 7:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20

Cake shop and clothes shop gone out of centre, rumours that Gloria Jeans and First Chapter might go too. Any body know what's going on?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,251 ✭✭✭cyning

Cake shop and clothes shop gone out of centre, rumours that Gloria Jeans and First Chapter might go too. Any body know what's going on?

Which clothes shop? You'd imagine with that many gone leases must have been up and they tried to increases rents or something??

• Registered Users Posts: 20 jack harknes

cyning wrote: »
    Which clothes shop? You'd imagine with that many gone leases must have been up and they tried to increases rents or something??

Think it was called Shindig, was around corner from.First Chapter. Could well be increased rents.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 131 ✭✭kaiser31

Think it was called Shindig, was around corner from.First Chapter. Could well be increased rents.

New owners, apparently all the units in the middle of the floor and been given notice to quit.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,358 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

I had heard that the stall holder type ones in the middle were going, but I hadn't realised until last weekend that Shindig had left too. Shindig still have a shop in town, in Ashe Street.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

That's interesting! I recall the SC was bought not so long ago by some property fund entity. I've heard of strategies before where owners/landlords deliberately price smaller retailers out of their units so that they can attract more big name stores to replace them as the value of the overall centre increases with more internationally recognised tenants. Maybe that's what's been done here?

• Advertisement

Shops to be extended into rear car park?
    Anyone heard, no planning app yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 982 ✭✭✭VincePP

ongarboy wrote: »
    I've heard of strategies before where owners/landlords deliberately price smaller retailers out of their units so that they can attract more big name stores to replace them as the value of the overall centre increases with more internationally recognised tenants. Maybe that's what's been done here?

That simply cannot be done. Commercial leases over 5 years in length have protections and you can have rents arbitrated upon.
    Rent is based on market price and there has to be a precedent for comparison.

Many small stores would have short term leases and these simply expire and are not renewed by either party and known months in advance. In many cases short leases are given because the centre knows development is coming and thus need flexibility and these leases are at low rents, but are rarely renewed. Basically it works for both parties as retailer gets a good rent and landlord gets flexibility.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭The Sidewards Man

Tralee is fcuked, time to draw the line in the sand here folks. Manor was never a success story.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

Tralee is fcuked, time to draw the line in the sand here folks. Manor was never a success story.

Hello?? Care to back that up with facts?? It continuously ranks as one of the best performing centres in the country! The car park is packed every weekend. It had full tenant occupancy during most of the recession when loads of other centres were half empty. Just because a few smaller tenants have vacated recently does not make it a failure.

My only concern is the Debenhams receivership problem at the moment which would be a major blow for the town and the 100 people employed there if it shut down.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,358 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

How?? Manor has been open over 10 years, and has some great stores up there. Its been very successful, with all of their units occupied! Where did you get the idea its not a success story? As the previous poster said, the worry is with Debenhams being in examinership and the potential loss of jobs, but I don't think that's anything to do with Manor being successful or not, its a nationwide issue for them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,251 ✭✭✭cyning

I can't imagine debenhams going entirely... And if they do is put money on it been bought out (remember all the doom and gloom when Roches Stores closed?).

And seriously it's incredibly busy...

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,768 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

cyning wrote: »
    I can't imagine debenhams going entirely... And if they do is put money on it been bought out (remember all the doom and gloom when Roches Stores closed?).

And seriously it's incredibly busy...

A major issue with Debenhams is the excessive Celtic Tiger leases they're tied into and there's a likelihood that some stores may close if the receivers can't negotiate reasonable rents.

So the ball is with the landlords. If they think they'll get in someone else who'll pay a higher rent, they'll tough it out and let Debenhams go.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭The Sidewards Man

ongarboy wrote: »
    Hello?? Care to back that up with facts?? It continuously ranks as one of the best performing centres in the country! The car park is packed every weekend. It had full tenant occupancy during most of the recession when loads of other centres were half empty. Just because a few smaller tenants have vacated recently does not make it a failure.

My only concern is the Debenhams receivership problem at the moment which would be a major blow for the town and the 100 people employed there if it shut down.

Americans fill the pubs every night and sip on a half pint for the night. Wake up folks.

Tralee, Waterford, Limerick, Galway and tallagh are likely to go, perhaps all of them if Roches won't lower rent on Henry st Dublin and St Patrick St Cork.
    Also rumours abound that Manor West will be doing Pay & Display car parking.
    That should reduce the footfall, soon be a ghost centre like a lot of the American Malls that have lost thier Anchor stores, which were Macys Sears and J C Penny's.

Tralee, Waterford, Limerick, Galway and tallagh are likely to go, perhaps all of them if Roches won't lower rent on Henry st Dublin and St Patrick St Cork.
    Also rumours abound that Manor West will be doing Pay & Display car parking.
    That should reduce the footfall, soon be a ghost centre like a lot of the American Malls that have lost thier Anchor stores, which were Macys Sears and J C Penny's.

That will be interesting if they do bring in pay & display parking. I wonder how it will affect the place & whether businesses there will object!?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,518 ✭✭✭Gormal

Oh you have got to be kidding! Pay & display, that will really cause a drop to retailers. I won't be going there if they do that. Isn't the whole point of free parking to encourage the consumer to spend more time and money in the stores there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭embraer170

I'm not convinced all customers are prepared to accept Pay & Display.

• Registered Users Posts: 804 ✭✭✭amdaley28

What often happens with Pay & Display is that your ticket is validated when you buy something in a shop like Tesco etc
    People who go there often just have a coffee & go for a walk around to look at the shops. They may or may not buy something.
    If they charge like the outlet centre in Killarney no one will bother to go there at all. I know I wouldn't.
    I don't think the shops would like that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 982 ✭✭✭VincePP

and that's based on what?

According to high court papers, the examiner is looking to repudiate just three leasesn - Limerick, Waterford & Tallaght.

VincePP wrote: »
    and that's based on what?

According to high court papers, the examiner is looking to repudiate just three leasesn - Limerick, Waterford & Tallaght.

That was at least and Galway and Tralee are also in the full list, along with Henry st Dublin and St patrick st cork, both owned by Roches.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,768 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

Manor are not going to introduce pay & display parking unless they're legally obliged to. There was a government proposal some years ago to introduce it for all shopping centres in the country to level the playing field with urban centres but that was quietly dropped during the recession.

Killarney Outlet Centre and some other shopping centres mainly in the big cities have pay parking because it was a condition of planning.

How is it that mess of a phone accessories stand is still in manor?

How is it that mess of a phone accessories stand is still in manor?

It was still there on Sunday last! Can't see it being there much longer.

New "Ye Old Sweet Shope" coming in front of Debenhams where the flower stall was.
    Odd, it was thought the new owners wanted the small traders out.

New "Ye Old Sweet Shope" coming in front of Debenhams where the flower stall was.
    Odd, it was thought the new owners wanted the small traders out.

When did that open?

Putting it up as I type.

Putting it up as I type.

I saw that sweet shop today. It's not open yet, still being stocked. It seems a very small unit. I was expecting it to be in where shindig was.

A decision on Debenhams Tralee has been delayed
    http://traleetoday.ie/update-debenhams-survival/

So many rumours around about Manor West and in particular Debenhams.
    Anyone know what's really going on?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭g1983d

What's the story with the new Gates installed at the entrance nearest Adams?

Advertisement