Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Most desirable location to live - Sandyford or Stepaside?

Options
  • 07-04-2016 9:04pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭

Which is better? Is it Sandyford or Stepaside? Which is more desirable? Are properties cheaper in Stepaside v Sandyford or vice versa? Does it make a difference or are they really one in the same place as they are right beside each other.
    Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,074 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

By Sandyford do you mean within the business district? I ask as more and more residential is being built within.

Desirable is in the eye of the beholder. If you had a young family then perhaps the more traditional residential feel of Stepaside might be better, but if you were a young professional person or couple, into your Luas and bicycle and bustling lifestyle then Sandyford might be better.

Old Sandyford village is a nice settled area but I dont think either Stepaside or Sandyford are more prestigious than the other especially.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 offthecouch.ie

Which is better? Is it Sandyford or Stepaside? Which is more desirable? Are properties cheaper in Stepaside v Sandyford or vice versa? Does it make a difference or are they really one in the same place as they are right beside each other.
    Thanks!

It depends on what you classify as more desirable. I live in Sandyford a few mins walk from the Luas. Apartment prices in Stepaside seem to be cheaper, probably as further away from Luas stop. I do like Stepaside though, it has more of a village feel to it and in my opinion is more suited to families I think. Sandyford, however, has more amenities within walking distance - Luas, regular bus, Dunnes, Aldi, gym, GP etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭2rkehij30qtza5

Thanks for the feedback.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,861 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

I've lived in the latter and work in the former so speaking from experience here :)

Sandyford: very little amenities, dominated by the Industrial Estate, traffic is crazy in the evenings. For shopping/entertainment Dundrum SC is probably closest (I'm not a big fan myself)
    On the plus side, if you're close enough to the LUAS line it's only 20 minutes to the city centre.

Stepaside: Dominated by the surrounding housing estates but aside from the village there's again not much in it. It does have Carrickmines SC close enough though.
    Further from the LUAS and a car is recommended as the 47 bus service is fairly poor/infrequent and as a result traffic gets bad at peak times. On the plus side it's a pretty quiet area generally (although there were reports of increased burglary when they closed the Garda station - neighbour had his car stolen from outside the door for example).

Personally I wouldn't buy in either as you'll constantly be travelling out of it anyway unless you work in the area. If you do work locally though then Stepaside would be the better bet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭2rkehij30qtza5

Thank you. I guess from point of view of apartment living and walking distance to the Luas Sandyford would be better. Appreciate the feedback.

• Advertisement

Thank you. I guess from point of view of apartment living and walking distance to the Luas Sandyford would be better. Appreciate the feedback.

Well the apartments in Belarmine in Stepaside (I had a 2 bed) are decent enough but the walls are thin - no lie-in for me on a weekend with the kids in the apartment above running around for example!

Parking (unless it's changed) is on a first come, first served basis rather than assigned so occasionally there can be difficulties. In general though it's your typical big complex - pretty quiet and anonymous which doesn't bother me, but may be an issue for others.

With regards to getting to the LUAS, I drove so can't help there. I did hear that there was supposed to be a pathway from Belarmine to the LUAS line on Ballyogan Road, but never tried/found it. In a car it's about 10 minutes to Sandyford if you don't get stuck in traffic.

• Administrators Posts: 53,829 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

You could probably live in Sandyford without a car but I don't think you'd be able to live in Stepaside without a car.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,719 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

There is a path from Belarmine to the LUAS at Glencairn.

It's a 15 minute walk.
    https://www.google.ie/maps/dir/53.2614834,-6.2192047/53.266264,-6.2102208/@53.2638804,-6.2187278,16z/data=!4m2!4m1!3e2

awec wrote: »
    You could probably live in Sandyford without a car but I don't think you'd be able to live in Stepaside without a car.

That would depend upon where you choose to live in Stepaside - if it were on the Dublin side of the village it's perfectly possible, with the LUAS being 15 minutes away from Belarmine for example and there are two bus routes (albeit not that frequent) in the form of the 44 and 47. The 47 has improved from a reliability perspective since the last timetable change.

If on the Enniskerry side then it becomes more difficult with only the 44 bus.

lxflyer wrote: »
    That would depend upon where you choose to live in Stepaside - if it were on the Dublin side of the village it's perfectly possible, with the LUAS being 15 minutes away from Belarmine for example and there are two bus routes (albeit not that frequent) in the form of the 44 and 47. The 47 has improved from a reliability perspective since the last timetable change.

If on the Enniskerry side then it becomes more difficult with only the 44 bus.

Oh I wouldn't have fancied that... most of that is uphill too out of Belarmine.

I'll agree with awec, Stepaside/Belarmine is only really workable if you have a car. The Market shop there isn't cheap and so you'll be off to Dundrum SC, Sandyford (Dunnes) or Carrickmines (Dunnes and a decent butcher) which would be a lot of hassle if walking it.

• Advertisement

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    Oh I wouldn't have fancied that... most of that is uphill too out of Belarmine.

I'll agree with awec, Stepaside/Belarmine is only really workable if you have a car. The Market shop there isn't cheap and so you'll be off to Dundrum SC, Sandyford (Dunnes) or Carrickmines (Dunnes and a decent butcher) which would be a lot of hassle if walking it.

Huh?

The walk from the lower part of Belarmine to the LUAS is perfectly flat. That walking route also intersects with the 44 bus route.

For sure there is a hill up to other parts of Belarmine, but if you're saying that you couldn't live without a car because you don't like walking up/down a hill then there's not much hope for you. It's not exactly Mount Everest. It's perfectly possible to do it.

Huh?

The walk from the lower part of Belarmine to the LUAS is perfectly flat. That walking route also intersects with the 44 bus route.

For sure there is a hill up to other parts of Belarmine, but if you're saying that you couldn't live without a car because you don't like walking up/down a hill then there's not much hope for you. It's not exactly Mount Everest. It's perfectly possible to do it.

There's a hill at both entrances to Belarmine. During snowy/icy days its not uncommon to see cars abandoned at the top of the hill actually because it's steep enough. I lived there 3 years and it was "fun" on days like that :)

Sure you can walk it if you like, but the point that you'll have to travel outside the area for pretty much anything (shopping, entertainment, retail) and with the 47 still being pretty useless, it's not something I'd fancy without a car myself.

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    There's a hill at both entrances to Belarmine. During snowy/icy days its not uncommon to see cars abandoned at the top of the hill actually because it's steep enough. I lived there 3 years and it was "fun" on days like that :)

Sure you can walk it if you like, but the point that you'll have to travel outside the area for pretty much anything (shopping, entertainment, retail) and with the 47 still being pretty useless, it's not something I'd fancy without a car myself.

But none of that is particularly relevant to the walk to/from the LUAS.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

But none of that is particularly relevant to the walk to/from the LUAS.

the comment below which started this was not just about the Luas, at least not the way I read it, or Kaiser
    awec wrote: »

I would not like to be stuck in stepaside without a car. In sandyford (in the ind. estate anyway) you have dunnes, aldi & supervalu nearby.

I live right beside a supermarket with lots of buses and the luas not too far. It is of huge benefit and saves a fortune.

Advertisement