Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

old bungalow needing a lot of love

Options
  • 07-04-2016 10:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭

Hi all,
    Hoping I can get some advice on here on a house I'm interested in. Bit of a bidding war going on already so I want to make sure I know what my maximum bid is based on what the estimated cost of the works will be.

The house is about 1500 square feet but that's including the floored attic which we'll probably leave alone. I'm thinking the whole house will need new wiring. It will also need new windows and probably will need to be insulated a lot better. I'd like to knock a couple of walls to make the new kitchen (another thing for the list) and living room all one space. The bathroom will need an over haul too and if possible I think fitting a stove instead of using the oil, which it urgently has, would be better.

The house is at least 50 years old I'd say and has a couple of out houses but we'd just get rid of them at a later stage.

If ye need anymore info let me know.

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,265 ✭✭✭..Brian..

I've been getting quotes for insulating a late 70's bungalow we're just bought. A little bigger then yours at about 1750 sq ft but for beads pumped into the cavitys and 300mm of insulation put into the attic, I've two quotes so far around €2000 before grants (€650). Two more guys are calling out next week to survey and quote me but I'm not expecting much of a difference. Based in Carlow.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭bungaro79

thats not bad (assuming i'd need the same thing done), thought it would be a lot more to insulate the walls

• Registered Users Posts: 21,521 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Pumping the walls is the best value you can get.

Problems are trying to make such a property more airtight and reduce heat bridging.

what kind of prices/work needs to be done for that john??

Sorry Bung, years since I did BER stuff.

Here to catch up. Interested in upgrading my own 25 year old build. Will do with pumped walls but the airtightness and bridging are probably the more difficult issues.

• Advertisement

no worries. got the engineers report from the auctioneer today and there is lots and lots wrong with the place so unfortunately we'll be looking elsewhere

• Registered Users Posts: 2,837 ✭✭✭MicktheMan

bungaro79 wrote: »
    got the engineers report from the auctioneer
    :confused: why would an auctioneer furnish an engineers report on a property he/she is selling? and one that highlights a lot of faults?

Let's call it a nice site. Any offers?

yeah a few offers, people with deeper pockets than mine!

Advertisement