Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Holiday with 9 month old

Options
  • 07-04-2016 10:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 41

Hi there,

Can you please tell me what are the essentials for a sun holiday with a 9 month old baby?

Also, does anyone know if airlines allow you to stack your suitcase with ready made formula bottles and baby food?

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Are they crawling or walking? If not, piece of cake!

You need some suncream and/or a uv suit, a few hats for baby and a way of providing shade.

Most places provide travel cots and high chairs. You can buy nappies there. Bring a container of powdered formula, the brands are different in some countries.

If they are mobile, you need eyes in the back of your head while they try to fall down stairs, into pools, off balconys.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭farmchoice

ya perfect age if they are not mobile( if they are mobile bring a good piece of rope!!) the airline will allow you bring on bottles of made up formula, the rumor is they can make you taste it but i have never actually seen that done.

anytime i have gone on planes with kids that age i have found the airport and airline staff very accommodating, they are used to it. funnily one thing that has happened a number of times though is that when heating up the babies bottles the cabin crew have tended to heat the bottle to the temperature of molten lava so watch out for that!!

out from that plenty of hats and sun cream those microwave sterilizing bags are handy for doing bottles (dr browns?). you may have to request a microwave for the apartment or hotel room, but they are very handy with a baby.

buggies are always a issue because they are so big but again the airports and airlines are good. you will have to put the buggy through the scanner at security so know how to take off the wheels and be prepared when going through security.

the first time i did it the security man at the scanner had to show me how to take off the wheels, knock airport, the best airport in the world for traveling with kids, so relaxed and easy going, nobody rushing, everybody friendly and helpful in fairness to Dublin airport as well always very nice but still Dublin airport so mental busy and always a bit stressful.

if you are going to somewhere in Europe there will be shops where you can buy anything you can get here so don't panic, no need to bring the kitchen sink.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Hyphy

We have crisscrossed the U.S. and will be moving to Ireland with our 3 year old. She did her first move at three months old and for traveling and holliday there is absolutely nothing better for your kiddo than a carrier. We used a boba (it won't let me post a link, but they are sold at cherishme)and only recently gave it to a family with a newborn because our little one is nearly four and can hike pretty far without it. They are great because they keep the little one snugged up but keep your hands free for those manic airport dashes and they come with a little hood that pops out of the top pocket that covers the wee things head to keep the sun off at naptime. They stuff down pretty well too so you can put in in the towel bag at the water. They are a million times easier than dealing with a buggy that must be checked, and you can use it on the flight to keep the little one on your lap if they let you have a "child under two in lap" (not paying for a seat).

U.S. flights and International flights usually allow you to have premixed formula or breastmilk in a carry-on soft side lunchbox. You can also premeasure the mix into a few bottles, leave it in there dry and get sealed water bottles for the flight after you pass through security if you are worried they might make you dump it out. Some flights will also give you bottled water for free, but I wouldn't count on that.

Good luck and have fun!

Advertisement