Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Poos in the loo - what worked for you?

Options
  • 07-04-2016 11:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭

My girl has been potty trained for a few months and now she is suddenly refusing to poo on the loo or her potty. She does a poo and that tells me loudly - I did a poo in my trousers, like she hasn't a care in the world. We tried a star chart, a you tube video about sending the poos to pooland and this week I have tried to be firm about how we must must all do ours poos in the toilet.

Has anyone overcome a similar problem. I'm so sick of cleaning poo. I'm also fin finding it so hard to keep my patience.

Comments

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

Has there been a change in her routine or life lately? A new child-minder /sibling or any of that that might have triggered a change?

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭Couchkitten

No changes at all. I'm six months pregnant but she has known about that for months now.

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭MichB2012

What worked for our son - put the favourite pants on, and if she poos in them, they have to go in the bin. We made a big deal out of 'awh no, your lovely new Mickey Mouse pants have to go in the bin now :( poor mickey mouse' and then put his next favourite pants on and made sure he knew, 'now don't poo in these lovely new pants or they will have to go in the bin too'.

He some how got into his head that 'the poo has to go back to his family' so that's why we all poo in the toilet and flush it away - and the poo will be very sad if we throw it in the bin and he doesn't get to go back to his family. Some imagination 😂😂

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭Lady is a tramp

MichB2012 wrote: »
    What worked for our son - put the favourite pants on, and if she poos in them, they have to go in the bin. We made a big deal out of 'awh no, your lovely new Mickey Mouse pants have to go in the bin now :( poor mickey mouse' and then put his next favourite pants on and made sure he knew, 'now don't poo in these lovely new pants or they will have to go in the bin too'.

He some how got into his head that 'the poo has to go back to his family' so that's why we all poo in the toilet and flush it away - and the poo will be very sad if we throw it in the bin and he doesn't get to go back to his family. Some imagination 😂😂

Awwww maybe it's just me, but that sounds very mean! :(:o

• Registered Users Posts: 6,423 ✭✭✭tinkerbell

Awwww maybe it's just me, but that sounds very mean! :(:o

I agree, that is really mean :( It's awful to discipline a child over potty training.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭MichB2012

tinkerbell wrote: »
    I agree, that is really mean :( It's awful to discipline a child over potty training.

Never said I was disciplining him over it - you may have taken my post up wrong. Never once did I give out to him as yes I do agree it's wrong to discipline a child over it..they have to want to do it theirselves and by not dirtying his favourite pants was the way he did it. Obviously I never threw them in the bin but there is only so many times u can clean poo out of them before you have to throw them out but he doesn't know that - how is a two year old to know when they're stained from poo as apposed to clean after being washed so explaining that they have to go in the bin as they're too dirty is the easiest way.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭Staplor

Went with a technique my sister used with hers. Bribery with sweets. Every poo meant he could choose a sweet himself. We used Celebrations, so there was variety and reward, he could try a different sweet a couple of times a day, not ideal, but we could stop after 2 weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭goldlocks10

We just read books in the toliet. So sit up in the morning and evening read book. If we went great but after about a week she just started going. No fuss

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭Jen44

I just let her help me carry the potty to the toilet i hold one side and she holds the other. Then we pop it into the toilet and she waves bye bye as its flushed! Sounds simple but for some reason its her favorite job :D

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

A recent doctor trip for the little one, I got a good tip to help them on the loo: Bubbles. :p

Blowing bubbles relaxes the bowel muscles they'd normally clench if they are nervous and distracts them from trying to hold in a bowel movement. Passes the time too as you know children have little patience to just sit there. If they have a book or tablet then they can still tense up when they feel they need to go so the bubble blowing helps counteract that urge.

• Advertisement
Advertisement