Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How long does the Constitution allow for forming a Government?

• 08-04-2016 3:35am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭

Are there any constitutional limits as to how long the parties can take in their negotiations to form a government?

Does the President have any role to play?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,502 ✭✭✭✭Victor

InTheTrees wrote: »
    Are there any constitutional limits as to how long the parties can take in their negotiations to form a government?
    No fixed limit. There is of course the constitutional limit of 7 years on the life of the Dáil, which is restricted to 5 years by legislation. In practice, if legislation and particularly the budget isn't being passed, then an election is likely to be called.
    Does the President have any role to play?
    If the taoiseach (including acting taoiseach) has the support of the Dáil (i.e. a working majority), then the taoiseach can ask the president to dissolve the Dáil and an election happens. If the taoiseach loses the support of the Dáil (as happened in 1994, where a rival majority was formed), it's a bit more complicated.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭piuswal

As I understand it, the President can refuse a request for dissolution and he/she can also ask the Government to address both Houses. Any chance MD might do that and tell them to get on with forming a Government?

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,537 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

piuswal wrote: »
    As I understand it, the President can refuse a request for dissolution and he/she can also ask the Government to address both Houses. Any chance MD might do that and tell them to get on with forming a Government?

Might be counterproductive.

Michael D is firmly Labour so wouldnt advocate a non Labour govt and would be seen as advocating Labour going in, which might irritate others. Best he keeps out of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 301 ✭✭glacial_pace71

Things start to get constitutionally messy in a few days time. Under the provisions of Article 18.8 of Bunreacht na hÉireann the election to the Seanad takes place 90 days after the Dáil election:

http://www.taoiseach.gov.ie/eng/Historical_Information/The_Constitution/Bunreacht_na_h%C3%89ireann_October_2015_Edition.pdf

The "first meeting" can presumably still be kicked to touch by the Taoiseach and President.

However, the Taoiseach can't refuse to complete the Seanad election process and fail to nominate the remaining 11 senators? The problem lies in Article 18.3, which states the following:

"The nominated members of seanad Éireann shall
    be nominated, with their prior consent, by the
    taoiseach who is appointed next after the reassembly
    of dáil Éireann following the dissolution
    thereof which occasions the nomination of the said
    members".

The presumption has been made that there's a Taoiseach in place to do that nominating! We are about to hit the irreconcilable timeframes.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,595 ✭✭✭Mal-Adjusted

But if there's no clear outcome on electing a Taoiseach, doesn't the current one remain in the position until a vote is won?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 41,108 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Might be counterproductive.

Michael D is firmly Labour so wouldnt advocate a non Labour govt and would be seen as advocating Labour going in, which might irritate others. Best he keeps out of it.

No

He's not firmly Labour. He resigned his membership upon becoming President and theres no way he would advocate labour going into government!

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 41,108 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

But if there's no clear outcome on electing a Taoiseach, doesn't the current one remain in the position until a vote is won?

Yes but the acting Taoiseach cannot appoint the Taoiseachs 11 Senators

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

Advertisement