Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dry shampoo causing baldness claim

Options
  • 08-04-2016 9:09am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,599 ✭✭✭

This post has been deleted.

Comments

Unless a properly controlled scientific trial has shown it causes baldness I wouldn't worry about it. 90% of health/science claims you read on the internet are bogus.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,809 ✭✭✭Speedwell

There are so many different formulations of dry shampoo, and people who use dry shampoo likely use so many other hair care products, that it is impossible to tell what combination of formulation/sensitivity might be involved. There are a couple brands I can't use because they make me itch like a dog with mange. I think the issue might be with some form of micronized rice starch, but for all I know it could be the propellant or even the scent. When I was in high school in America, we used cornstarch or cornstarch-based baby powder (what you call "cornflour" here), and that never bothered me a bit (I used just a bit and brushed it through very thoroughly, and I can't remember it overly drying my hair, either). I think it's really just what's right for you and your skin.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,367 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

Many people have reactions to products: it's not the person's fault, it's not the product's fault; it's just that rarely a person and a product don't work together. I'd say most people have used dry shampoo and never had a reaction to it. I know I haven't. I don't know about anyone else but I spray it finely over the top of my head, leave it for a few mins then massage it near my roots and brush.
    I don't know the full story, perhaps she was spraying it directly on her scalp, spraying loads of it on, maybe not washing it out properly, product build up etc etc.
    But the story has gone viral - even my husband seen it on facebook and said it to me as he knows I use it sometimes.
    But a few weeks ago there was a story going around facebook that a particular (well know) brand of shampoo caused people to have reactions when they went for a salon colour. I've been using that brand for years and never had an issue when getting colour done.

Advertisement