Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Emails on to laptop. Help needed

Options
  • 08-04-2016 9:09am
    Registered Users Posts: 44

I'm trying to figure out how to get my emails to come to my laptop. They are still coming to my desk computer. How do I set it up on the laptop? It's an old computer and it's outlook express with @eircom.net being the address. Laptop is running on windows 10.
    Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,220 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

Find the settings for the eircom account
    Get a mail client (e.g. Thunderbird) (there's no Outlook Express for a while now)
    Add an account to the mail client
    Possibly stop Outlook from connecting too.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 6,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭mp22

If I remember correctly there is a setting in outlook to leave a copy of the emails on the server,this need to be turned on in order to get the mails on more than one pc.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

mp22 wrote: »
    If I remember correctly there is a setting in outlook to leave a copy of the emails on the server,this need to be turned on in order to get the mails on more than one pc.

For accounts that havent been migrated yes. But be careful as one 5MB email will block the inbox with that setting applied and no new mail will get through.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 diesel druggie

Thanks for the replies. I'm still not sure what to do. I'm not that good with computers

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭cal60

Try downloading Thunderbid to your laptop (make sure it is coming from a legitimate source - Mozilla) . Then follow the setup wizard - you will need the mail settings for Eircom/Eir server and ports ( a search on this site should find the current settings or log onto the eir website and look for email settings in the help).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭IRL-Tony

@diesel ........... are you still stuck?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,930 ✭✭✭PeterTheEighth

To move the mail to another PC you first need to make sure that you have the username and password. You can verify this by logging in at https://www.eir.ie/email/

Next like was said above, you need to find a mail client. Thunderbird is a little bit tricky to set up. Do you have a copy of Outlook (not outlook express) on the PC?

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭Little A

Can I jump in here please as I am having issues doing the exact same thing.

I got an new laptop, I copies all the settings and loaded up Thunderbird and I am getting emails in but when I go to send I get a box with the following:

"A error has occured while sending mail, The mail server sent an incorrect greeting: avas01.vendorsvc.cra.dublin.eircom.net Cloudmark Gateway ESTP server not available"

I am not a custoer of Eir anymore & have not been for years and I recall the last time I called the (prob 5 year ago when setting up my old laptop!!) they were very unhelpful, which I understand. Goggled but not joy.

I have had this email address for over 15 years and all my accounts are linked to it so I'd rather not just set up a new account - any techie wizards out there able to help?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,220 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

You probably need to use the SMTP server for your internet provider for sending mail

Thanks but do you know how I find the SMTP?

Broadband is provided by Virgin.....do I just call the up tomorrow or can I find it online?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,663 ✭✭✭Jack Killian

Little A wrote: »
    Thanks but do you know how I find the SMTP?

Broadband is provided by Virgin.....do I just call the up tomorrow or can I find it online?

smtp.upcmail.ie

Success - I have to confess I had in in the upc before, but I didn't save is as default!!

Rookie error.

Thanks Jack and Bonzo!!

Advertisement