Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clann Health & Fitness Pilo Hotel V Energie Fitness Ashbourne

Options
  • 08-04-2016 9:28am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,356 ✭✭✭

Hi

Does anybody have any feedback on either of these places, trying to choose which is the best out of them?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

I'm in Energie and its decent enough. My main draw was the pool but I know the hotel has one too. Energie showers/hot water have been out of action for 2 weeks now which I pretty pissed about, it means the pool is freezing and you can't shower after the gym but beyond that it's grand.

Have never been to the hotel gym other than for a look around but I'd say that it's less busy than energie, that's about all the info I have!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,269 ✭✭✭Gamebred

Im in Eneregie,its a dump one more week of no showers and im cancelling my membership,machines broke every week the cable machines are gone this week it was the leg press last week,theres a gym in the industrial estate warehouse dont know the name but ill be trialing that myself soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,356 ✭✭✭Fiona

Hummmm I think my decision has been made!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

Haven't noticed anything broken myself but I mainly use it for the pool but yeah, the hotel although probably smaller does look less busy and cleaner too.

I joined Clann, all going well so far, not a huge fan of the smell of chlorine all over the place but you can't have everything in life, gym is never full and decent enough machines and the pool is really nice great views from it to keep you engaged while you exercise.

270 for a couple for 3 months upfront.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,899 ✭✭✭clint_silver

Fiona wrote: »
    I joined Clann, all going well so far, not a huge fan of the smell of chlorine all over the place but you can't have everything in life, gym is never full and decent enough machines and the pool is really nice great views from it to keep you engaged while you exercise.

270 for a couple for 3 months upfront.

They had been giving a discount if you were a member of local gaa club up there where the gaa membership costs less than the discount.

ask them if they still do.

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭tmabr

Anyone thinking of joining for 2017 ? Been in clann the past 6 months but might switch to energie. Has energie improved? Any special offers?

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭76544567

I was in Clann but was told by a few members that if you go in to Roganstown and insist that you know about it, that you can get single membership for €400 or couples membership for €850. Took about 10 minutes trying to tell me the prices were not negotiable, so I left my number asking them to give us a ring if the price went down. Three weeks late I get a phone call with an offer of €850 per year for a couple. So its true.

Id always stayed away from Roganstown because of their very high headline membership prices. But it turns out that its true that only the mugs pay the headline prices there. Having been a member for a few months now I think Roganstown is slightly better than Clann. Less crowded at peak times and they do some nice days or nights out in the hotel form time to time for members.

I never tried negotiating the price down in Clann, but it might be worth a try.

going to join pillo tonight, 200 for 4 months special offer.

270 for 2 people if anyone wants to join with me - 135 each

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,269 ✭✭✭Gamebred

Energie is under new name and has improved vastly would recommend it, much cleaner and some newer equipment lately.

• Advertisement

yea was very undecided, I take the kids swimming on sunday morning to pillo which is much better for them and much warmer. that swung it

• Registered Users Posts: 846 ✭✭✭April 73

Apologies for bumping this again but has anyone any up to date opinions on either of these gyms? I definitely want to join one that has a pool. Pool temperature is important! Thanks.

April 73 wrote: »
    Apologies for bumping this again but has anyone any up to date opinions on either of these gyms? I definitely want to join one that has a pool. Pool temperature is important! Thanks.

Pillo pool temp is always nice and warm and I found it great for teaching the kids. Energie is cold cold cold.
    But to be honest I left the pillo because of the staff and the running of the pool. I understand that it is a hotel and guests might get priority but they rent the pool out far too often to non members and it is impossible to get a good swim in.
    Example. On Tuesday night there is adult swim lessons which takes over 90 % of the pool and up to 5 members were left to share 1 lane. When I enquired why the lessons took over the pool I was informed that this was always the way. Then I complained that 4 people taking lessons should not have most of the pool they just dismissed my point. Fair enough I said. Can I ask are these receiving lessons members or non members.
    They are "all" members and I should be more understanding of adults learning to swim.
    I went for a swim that Tuesday night and asked some of the guys at the end of the lesson did u have to be a member to take lessons. Not at all sure none of us are members.
    That was the last time I renewed with pillo.
    Stuck up lying money grabbing staff

Anybody able to tell me what this place is lihe now it's been renovated?

• Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭jjmcclure

Fiona wrote: »
    Anybody able to tell me what this place is lihe now it's been renovated?

Pilo turning into a bit of a kip in places. Changing rooms dirty in the evenings, staff generally a bit rude. Act like Nazis around the steam room sauna, e.g. the age limit is 16+ my son is 15+ and 6ft and if he sets foot in there the Nazi staff are down moaning. HOWEVER the fact that there are warmer rooms in my house than the sauna, the steam room is pretty grotty (broke tiles and generally a bit mucky) they don't seem to be too bothered about.

They have not fixed the sauna properly in years, same for the steam room. Pool is OK but as others have said the close half of it on Monday evening for kids lessons and Tuesday for adults.

Another point, the staff aren't so lippy when the travellers are staying in the hotel and wreck the joint. Not a word out of them then.

Next time one of the snotty trainers is smart with me I'm just going to ask him to "pick a window!!"

Its a pity there is no premium gym in Ashbourne/Ratoath/Dunshaughlin area. I'd happily pay extra for a better standard of service and cleanliness.:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 38 freakgirl

Hi, any feedback on what’s the place like after pandemic, I’m interested in joining for 6 month or so, but can’t find any decent information from gym goers. I don’t see anything about it on social media either. Google only gives official gym home page and older feedbacks, nothing really what could give a good understanding about the place.

I wondering is there any hidden fees for membership also.

Thanks,! 🙃😊

Advertisement