Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can I Get Broadband?

Options
  • 08-04-2016 10:30am
    Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭

I have not had a telephone landline connected to my property because I don't want to make calls, I just want broadband and it wasn't available to me when I moved here 5 years ago. I have since had satellite broadband installed.

I have been on to the helpdesk to ask when my exchange would be ready to provide broadband to my area and I have been told that in order to discover this, I have to first have a telephone line installed obviously at a cost to me, before they could tell me whether I could get broadband or not!!
    When I asked what would then happen if it was discovered that my exchange is still not able to provide broadband and was informed that I would still have to pay for the work connecting me to the telephone line. 

This all seems a bit far fetched, surely you can tell me if the exchange closest to me is able to provide me with broadband without me having to have the telephone connection first??

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,797 ✭✭✭Eir: Pamela

twignme wrote: »
    I have not had a telephone landline connected to my property because I don't want to make calls, I just want broadband and it wasn't available to me when I moved here 5 years ago. I have since had satellite broadband installed.

I have been on to the helpdesk to ask when my exchange would be ready to provide broadband to my area and I have been told that in order to discover this, I have to first have a telephone line installed obviously at a cost to me, before they could tell me whether I could get broadband or not!!
    When I asked what would then happen if it was discovered that my exchange is still not able to provide broadband and was informed that I would still have to pay for the work connecting me to the telephone line. 

This all seems a bit far fetched, surely you can tell me if the exchange closest to me is able to provide me with broadband without me having to have the telephone connection first??

Hi  twignme :)

Thanks for getting in touch.

In some cases you will need to have a landline installed first if your line is not testing for broadband at the point of sale. Once the line is installed it will then be prequaled again for the broadband service. You will then have the option to downgrade to a standalone service if the option is available.

You can view the most up to date information on the eFibre roll out here http://fibrerollout.ie/where-and-when/ or you can check your address here https://www.eir.ie/eirfibreinfo/map/. 

I would recommend registering your details on the above link and as soon as the service is available you will be notified.

-Pamela 

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭twignme

In some cases you will need to have a landline installed first if your line is not testing for broadband at the point of sale. Once the line is installed it will then be prequaled again for the broadband service. You will then have the option to downgrade to a standalone service if the option is available.

You can view the most up to date information on the eFibre roll out here http://fibrerollout.ie/where-and-when/ or you can check your address here https://www.eir.ie/eirfibreinfo/map/. 

I would recommend registering your details on the above link and as soon as the service is available you will be notified.

-Pamela 
    Thanks Pamela but I'm still confused. Are you telling me that it is impossible to let me know if I can get broadband from my nearest exchange unless and until I get a landline installed? Can't you just look at the exchange nearest to me and tell from that?
    I most definitely don't want to have a landline installed with all the inconvenience and cost just to then be told I can't get broadband anyway and then be stuck with a landline I don't want, plus the cost I didn't want to pay.

-Pamela 
    Thanks Pamela but I'm still confused. Are you telling me that it is impossible to let me know if I can get broadband from my nearest exchange unless and until I get a landline installed? Can't you just look at the exchange nearest to me and tell from that?
    I most definitely don't want to have a landline installed with all the inconvenience and cost just to then be told I can't get broadband anyway and then be stuck with a landline I don't want, plus the cost I didn't want to pay.
    In some cases, yes twignme.

Unfortunately not as physical factors would affect your broadband capability. These factors would only be determined once the technician attends the site to complete installation.
    I'm sorry I could not offer you better news :(

-Pamela

-Pamela 

Unfortunately not as physical factors would affect your broadband capability. These factors would only be determined once the technician attends the site to complete installation.

-Pamela
    OK Pamela, thanks. So I will ask the question in a different way please ?  

I understand that there may be difficulties with installation to do with my dwelling or issues that may be outside of your control, physical problems that could be unforseen at my house.
    What I am asking and have been asking is, would you simply be able to tell me if the exchange nearest to my home is capable of DELIVERING broadband, is it broadband ready and/or already providing the service to other homes in my vicinity? Is the service available in my area ? I know you can't tell me if it can RECEIVE it, but is it available in my locality? Surely that is a question you should be able to answer?

-Pamela 

-Pamela

I understand that there may be difficulties with installation to do with my dwelling or issues that may be outside of your control, physical problems that could be unforseen at my house.
    What I am asking and have been asking is, would you simply be able to tell me if the exchange nearest to my home is capable of DELIVERING broadband, is it broadband ready and/or already providing the service to other homes in my vicinity? Is the service available in my area ? I know you can't tell me if it can RECEIVE it, but is it available in my locality? Surely that is a question you should be able to answer?
    That's no problem  twignme, I can check this :) 
    Broadband will still not be guaranteed even if the exchange is capable of the service.

What location are you in?

-Pamela 

• Advertisement

-Pamela 

-Pamela

Broadband will still not be guaranteed even if the exchange is capable of the service.

-Pamela 
    Thanks Pamela, I'm in Cappataggle Co Galway

-Pamela 

-Pamela

-Pamela 
    Is the full address CAPPATAGGLE, BALLINASLOE,  GALWAY twignme?

-Pamela 

-Pamela 

-Pamela

-Pamela 

-Pamela 
    Yes, that's correct.

You can view the most up to date information on the eFibre roll out here http://fibrerollout.ie/where-and-when/ or you can check your address here https://www.eir.ie/eirfibreinfo/map/. ;

-Pamela 

-Pamela

-Pamela 

-Pamela 
    Yes, that's correct.
    Thanks twignme,
    I have checked this and I'm afraid the exchange is not capable of broadband.

-Pamela 

You can view the most up to date information on the eFibre roll out here http://fibrerollout.ie/where-and-when/ or you can check your address here https://www.eir.ie/eirfibreinfo/map/. ;

-Pamela 

-Pamela

-Pamela 

-Pamela 
    Yes, that's correct.
    Thanks twignme,

-Pamela 
    Finally, after 6 months and dozens of telephone calls and live chats there is an answer! Thank you for your assistance Pamela.

• Advertisement

-Pamela 

-Pamela

-Pamela 

-Pamela 
    Yes, that's correct.
    Thanks twignme,

-Pamela 
    Finally, after 6 months and dozens of telephone calls and live chats there is an answer! Thank you for your assistance Pamela.
    No problem twignmesorry I could not offer you better news.
    Please don't hesitate to contact us should you have any further queries. 

- Pamela 

Advertisement