Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Schooling and Working

Options
  • 08-04-2016 10:54am
    Registered Users Posts: 27

I am new here, just want to seek some opinion. on some issue i am facing at work. I have been working for X company for 4 years now and I decided last year to go back to college. I only work 4 days a week and 3 days off which i used for my college, but now my manager decided to change the mode of the rosters and it does not suit my college time. When I informed him again about my college and the rosters does not suits my timing he told me that I should swap shift whenever I need to go to college. I feel they are trying to bully me out. What can I do in this situation and does what is my right?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭JustShon

Does your contract say anything about what days you work?

It all boils down to what's in your contract at the end of the day. If your contract only specifies the number of hours you'll work and doesn't specify days then you're kinda stuck.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,725 ✭✭✭ec18

I don't know how they could be bullying you, he has told you to swap shifts for when you need to go to college. There's no law/rights afaik that mean employer needs to suit your requirements for scheduling work

• Registered Users Posts: 2,457 ✭✭✭livedadream

johnkenn wrote: »
    I am new here, just want to seek some opinion. on some issue i am facing at work. I have been working for X company for 4 years now and I decided last year to go back to college. I only work 4 days a week and 3 days off which i used for my college, but now my manager decided to change the mode of the rosters and it does not suit my college time. When I informed him again about my college and the rosters does not suits my timing he told me that I should swap shift whenever I need to go to college. I feel they are trying to bully me out. What can I do in this situation and does what is my right?

He's not bullying you he is trying to keep the business running.

Have you tried to swap your shifts? can you make an arrangement with someone to cover the days you would be in college?

Your rights are to attend work as requested, you have no right to pick and choose the days/times you work unless agreed in your contract.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,572 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Unless your shifts are protected in your contract there is little you can do... Major changes in shifts/roster should really be given 30 days notice of the change.. But for business reasons they can change rosters.

Advertisement