Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

St. Marys Road Cycle Lanes and other cycle lanes around the Town

Options
  • 08-04-2016 11:14am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭

See there's uproar over the new cycle lanes on St. Mary's Road (on talk of the town). Can't see why all these parents are driving their kids to school anyways - surely they could cycle :pac: May help offset the obesity bubble that's looming? May reduce unnecessary traffic in the town? Having said all that the cycle lane designs (there and along Jocelyn Place) have to be the most ill considered ever - the amount of times I've nearly been flattened by car doors swinging into the lane (from the aforementioned parents depositing childer at the schools) is crazy - seems they think if they can prevent anyone from using them that they will be taken out? A better design would have been to put a barrier on the road side of the lane with demarcated entry points where pedestrians can cross. The way it is currently nobody wins.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

The design is deplorable all over town.

As for kids cycling to school; it's impossible to cycle safely with the weight of the bags they have to carry on a daily basis.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭henryporter

The design is deplorable all over town.

As for kids cycling to school; it's impossible to cycle safely with the weight of the bags they have to carry on a daily basis.

Agreed on the design - for the amount of money that was spent a few junkets to Copenhagen or Amsterdam could have enlightened the designers as to how to now reinvent the wheel.

As for the school books argument, I'm hoping that the Marist school designers may have thought about lockers to avoid kids having to lug home all their books everyday - it may be some time yet before books are replaced by e-readers. In any event surely a bike could be fitted with a panier?

• Registered Users Posts: 668 ✭✭✭blackpearl

See there's uproar over the new cycle lanes on St. Mary's Road (on talk of the town). Can't see why all these parents are driving their kids to school anyways - surely they could cycle :pac: May help offset the obesity bubble that's looming? May reduce unnecessary traffic in the town? Having said all that the cycle lane designs (there and along Jocelyn Place) have to be the most ill considered ever - the amount of times I've nearly been flattened by car doors swinging into the lane (from the aforementioned parents depositing childer at the schools) is crazy - seems they think if they can prevent anyone from using them that they will be taken out? A better design would have been to put a barrier on the road side of the lane with demarcated entry points where pedestrians can cross. The way it is currently nobody wins.
    We will be all right I see the shiners are on the wagon yet again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭10green bottles

:rolleyes: Jaysus.

Thread/

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,433 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

I haven't seen it yet but I've read it's a joke. Doesn't surprise me after the farce that el was installed and still exists at Roden place. How these designs are reviewed and approved is beyond me. I wouldn't like to have it on my conscious as the design engineer, neither to sign-off on.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,433 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

blackpearl wrote: »

How so?

:rolleyes: Jaysus.

Thread/

You mean /Thread I presume :D

• Registered Users Posts: 626 ✭✭✭Meeoow

Who are these shiners you speak of??

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭rogieop

Agreed on the design - for the amount of money that was spent a few junkets to Copenhagen or Amsterdam could have enlightened the designers as to how to now reinvent the wheel.

As for the school books argument, I'm hoping that the Marist school designers may have thought about lockers to avoid kids having to lug home all their books everyday - it may be some time yet before books are replaced by e-readers. In any event surely a bike could be fitted with a panier?

There were lockers in the old marist anyway... id imagine most secondary schools have them. No way are kids going to cycle to school. Better off getting the bus. Everyone knows the bus to school is the time to do homework!! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Lockers or no lockers, I see what they have to carry every day. No way many of them could cycle.

• Advertisement

Meeoow wrote: »
    Who are these shiners you speak of??

sharkey, do you not read the local papers allways getting in on the action but full of wind.

sharkey, do you not read the local papers allways getting in on the action but full of wind.

You mean shinners so. I thought there were people going round shining the cycle lanes there. Although they are quite shiny already due to lack of use.

Meeoow wrote: »
    You mean shinners so. I thought there were people going round shining the cycle lanes there. Although they are quite shiny already due to lack of use.

clown

• Registered Users Posts: 1,468 ✭✭✭White Horse

Lockers or no lockers, I see what they have to carry every day. No way many of them could cycle.

My young lad carries a bag home that many people would struggle to lift.

Revision/homework means he has to bring the majority of his books home everyday.

He has to cycle two miles to get to his bus stop and I'm always worried about him losing balance on these narrow country roads.

clown

Huh?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭Peter File

Lots of the cycle lanes in town are littered with broken glass and gravel. The council could start with cleaning the lanes that already exist.

Peter File wrote: »
    Lots of the cycle lanes in town are littered with broken glass and gravel. The council could start with cleaning the lanes that already exist.

Same with a lot of the footpaths - there's some serious psychopaths out there who think strewing broken glass around the place is funny: not sure if it's the cyclists or dogs they are trying to injure but from the amount of glass I saw one day beside the playground in St. Helenas Park, I don't think they care about anyone.

Advertisement