Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Masters 2016 Official Thread *READ OP BEFORE POSTING*

• 23-02-2016 9:02pm
    Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,197 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Well, is it ever too early to start a Masters thread, love it, sunny weather, pristine course, whitest bunkers and the beginning of the golfing season proper in my eyes.

augusta-national-us-masters-1.jpg

It's finally upon us! Welcome those of you don't usually frequent this place :)

No betting talking in this thread, we are here to talk about golf, betting talk belongs HERE

Last thing. Some of the commentators are poor, we all know that so please let's not have pages and pages of moaning, chances are we will just move or delete the comments as they add nothing to the discussion

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,197 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

AAEAAQAAAAAAAALbAAAAJDRlZTlhZTAyLTZkZmMtNDQxZC05MDU1LTk5NmFiNGRhMmMyZA.jpg

image.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 723 ✭✭✭Hoof Hearted2

slave1 wrote: »
    Well, is it ever too early to start a Masters thread
    Yes there is, 6 weeks out is way too early IMO, it's akin to the supermarkets having easter eggs on the shelves in early January, it only serves to make poople fat and lazy and sh1t sick of the actual event by the time it comes around.
    4 weeks out is the max that these type of threads should be allowed and in an ideal world it would only be a 2 to 3 week run in.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

Yes there is, 6 weeks out is way too early IMO, it's akin to the supermarkets having easter eggs on the shelves in early January, it only serves to make poople fat and lazy and sh1t sick of the actual event by the time it comes around.
    4 weeks out is the max that these type of threads should be allowed and in an ideal world it would only be a 2 to 3 week run in.
    Then don't bother posting in it again if it upsets you that much. See you in a few weeks :)

Keano wrote: »
    Then don't bother posting in it again if it upsets you that much. See you in a few weeks :)

Don't worry I won't be, and actually it doesn't upset me all, but I do kinda feel sorry for the golf newbies that can't get enough of the spoon feed, Disneyland like experience that is the masters.

See ya in July for the British Open, where you'll find the real golf experience and real golf fans:pac:;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 195 ✭✭yipsnomore

Were last years conditions a complete one off? I couldn't believe the sub air system was rendered useless by the conditions. Anyone in the know about what to expect?

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭Golfgorfield

My 4 tickets for the Wednesday arrived yesterday to my parents house.

I quote my 75 year old mother, "there's an envelope here from Augusta national golf club, whats that? are you playing golf there this year" ?? :rolleyes:

No im not.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭Dbu

Rory-McIlroy-coming-unstuck-at-10th-hole-in-2011-Masters.jpg

Oh the Masters

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

I'm really looking forward to the Masters this year.

Given Rory and Speith's form of late it'll be interesting to see how they perform. Bubba was impressive at the Riviera last weekend and with his history in Augusta, I'd be surprised if he didn't feature. Thereafter, the field is packed with lots potential contenders, Rickie's had some good form this year, DJ's consistently threatened but never closed out, Matsuyama will take a lot of confidence from his win in Phoenix and Mickelson has see somewhat of a return to form and could threaten.

I'd love to see a good performance from Lowry, if he could get off to a solid start he might figure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,859 ✭✭✭alxmorgan

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

alxmorgan wrote: »

Ha! All the talk on Twitter the last few days was how Tiger's back has 'considerably deteriorated' to the point that he was only without serious pain if he lay down. Clearly bullsh*t!

Great to see Tiger swinging a club again!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭Loire

The thought of sitting down to the Masters has me filled with joy!!

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭Shakey_jake

Love the Masters so much, should be really interesting this year!

My money is on Fowler

Yeah Baby!!

1404_augusta_hole-18.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭Dayor Knight

Well, is it ever too early to start a Masters thread, love it, sunny weather, pristine course, whitest bunkers and the beginning of the golfing season proper in my eyes.

augusta-national-us-masters-1.jpg

You've cheered me up buddy by making me realise it's only 6 weeks away to the Masters and golfing days.... the winter blinkers are on at the mo.. I needed that fix of positive golf visualisation. Not a minute too soon! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭Boskowski

I think its not too early at all. I accidentally bumped some day into the Christmas forum. They start counting the days pretty much now and are pining for Christmas all year long. Masters is easily as big as Christmas. No?

but I do kinda feel sorry for the golf newbies that can't get enough of the spoon feed, Disneyland like experience that is the masters.

Look at the photo posted by the OP and tell me..... if you could stitch it to any par 3 in the world, where else would it be?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,859 ✭✭✭alxmorgan

Boskowski wrote: »
    I think its not too early at all. I accidentally bumped some day into the Christmas forum. They start counting the days pretty much now and are pining for Christmas all year long. Masters is easily as big as Christmas. No?

Yes :D

I'm like a kid at Xmas come Masters time. I have some issues with the tournament itself but it looks so damn good.

Also fact its first major of year and usually signals the start of the golfing season proper as well.

I know I'm so yesteryear but the big question is...is he playing? It doesn't look like it, but recent tweets suggest he hasn't packed it in yet. In fact he hasn't said he's not playing which is a statement in itself.
    Imagine Tiger coming out of nowhere and winning the Masters. A Ronnie O'Sullivan like performance. Awww, we can dream.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,345 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

I know I'm so yesteryear but the big question is...is he playing? It doesn't look like it, but recent tweets suggest he hasn't packed it in yet. In fact he hasn't said he's not playing which is a statement in itself.
    Imagine Tiger coming out of nowhere and winning the Masters. A Ronnie O'Sullivan like performance. Awww, we can dream.

I think the only comparison to Ronnie is that he might play brilliantly to shoot a 147 over Thurs & Friday.

Time to move on and let the media concentrate on the new guys imo.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,256 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

I hate admitting it but I hope Tiger doesn't play in the Masters.
    That way there's a chance we'll get to see some others on tv and not just Tiger arriving at the clubhouse, Tiger taking his clubs out of the car, Tiger taking a drink of water etc. etc!!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,498 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

charlieIRL wrote: »
    That way there's a chance we'll get to see some others on tv and not just Tiger arriving at the clubhouse, Tiger taking his clubs out of the car, Tiger taking a drink of water etc. etc!!!!!

+1 Tiger withdraws and the TV coverage shows him being driven in a buggy back to the car park so we miss Lowry sinking an eagle putt at the 13th.

Oh we have moved on, no question, I wouldn't expect anything and I want to watch the leaders. I'm still curious though.

And to be fair to Tiger, that kind of circus wasn't his fault and it has toned down a lot. I remember from last year when he was playing cr@p he simply didn't feature on telly and in one earlier instance he even asked the tv guys would they please follow the good golfers instead as its no good to anyone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭HighLine

Augusta National Reportedly Looking to Extend Par-5 13th Hole

Not a common opinion but I hated seeing Bubba turn an iconic hole like the 13th into a drive and a wedge. But should they be extending holes or looking at the ball and equipment?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,070 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

yea, and we won't get to see what sexy blonde chick is hanging around with him either! :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,515 ✭✭✭valoren

HighLine wrote: »

Not a common opinion but I hated seeing Bubba turn an iconic hole like the 13th into a drive and a wedge. But should they be extending holes or looking at the ball and equipment?

There was an idea to introduce a 'Masters' ball a few years ago which would have to be used by each player in order to avoid continually extending the length of the course.

I'm sure Bubba hitting a SW into the 13th in 2014 had the same effect on the suits at Augusta as when Hootie Johnson watched Phil Mickelson lob a 95 yard wedge into the 11th Hole in 2001.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

Rory and Jordan are starting to get this coverage as well especially Rory with sky but it's what the top players get

That hole really suits a leftie to be fair - they can just hit a big fade around the corner. I wonder would lengthening the hole actually make it easier for lefites though - they could probably still reach with a long iron but the right handed players would need a wood?

Maybe put the tee box closer into the trees and maybe even sink the tee box down a few feet? Or as we do here - put up a big net!

Loire wrote: »
    That hole really suits a leftie to be fair - they can just hit a big fade around the corner. I wonder would lengthening the hole actually make it easier for lefites though - they could probably still reach with a long iron but the right handed players would need a wood?

Maybe put the tee box closer into the trees and maybe even sink the tee box down a few feet? Or as we do here - put up a big net!

Bubba went over the trees the time he reduced it to a wedge, no fade required!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,515 ✭✭✭valoren

Loire wrote: »

Good idea moving the tee box left instead of back. Skew the angle enough so that a very big draw (potential hook) is required to put it in Bubba wedge territory.

Is it blasphemy to suggest that the AGNC simply make an easy Par 5, by pro standards, and simply make it a long par 4?

• Advertisement

Arnold pulls out of making the ceremonial opening drive but hopes to be at the tee to cheer them on....love to see him back next year and fit to tee it up

• Registered Users Posts: 42 X200

Rory and Justin to battle it out on the back nine, to be beaten by Harrington who finishes eagle, birdie, birdie, birdie.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭The Rape of Lucretia

Tiger just walking from the clubhouse to the putting green is better viewing than anyone out on the course playing golf.

Tiger was the greatest thing to ever happen to golf, and his passing is the end of the golden era. Its all down hill now. We will never see his like again, and the world of golf is the poorer for it. It just isnt the same.

Its hard to get up the enthusiasm any more to watch pro golf when you know you have seen greatness that wont be equalled. And every one else out there these days is second division in comparison.
    He was a colossus. He rewrote the rules. He beat the game. In a way, despite the hype, I dont think he has really be given his due credit for his outstanding performance. And he was box office. Watching him flick through the yardage book was worth watching. Throwing a banana skin in the bin even. It gave you the whole 'Tiger does golf' experience. There is no one else out there who brings that kind of interest.

It will truly be a sad Masters if this is the first genuine major of the post-Tiger era.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,823 ✭✭✭✭First Up

Tiger just walking from the clubhouse to the putting green is better viewing than anyone out on the course playing golf.

This is exactly the sort of crap that I'll be glad to see the back of.

Tiger was the greatest thing to ever happen to golf, and his passing is the end of the golden era. Its all down hill now. We will never see his like again, and the world of golf is the poorer for it. It just isnt the same.

Its hard to get up the enthusiasm any more to watch pro golf when you know you have seen greatness that wont be equalled. And every one else out there these days is second division in comparison.
    He was a colossus. He rewrote the rules. He beat the game. In a way, despite the hype, I dont think he has really be given his due credit for his outstanding performance. And he was box office. Watching him flick through the yardage book was worth watching. Throwing a banana skin in the bin even. It gave you the whole 'Tiger does golf' experience. There is no one else out there who brings that kind of interest.

It will truly be a sad Masters if this is the first genuine major of the post-Tiger era.
    Jesus when did this happen, you'd think the media might have picked up on it, RIP Tiger RIP.

Tiger was ONE OF the greatest things to ever happen to golf, and his passing is the end of an the golden era. Its POTENTIALLY all down hill now. We will never see his like again, and the world of golf is the poorer for it. It just isnt the same.

My two cents !

• Advertisement

X200 wrote: »
    Rory and Justin to battle it out on the back nine, to be beaten by Harrington who finishes eagle, birdie, birdie, birdie.

Harrington isn't currently exempt or invited. His only route to Augusta now would appear to be to win the Shell Houston Open.

Note also that Darren Clarke will be playing using the last of the five exemptions he got from winning the 2011 British Open. This applies to the 2016 Masters and US Open, he's already exhausted his five exemptions for the US PGA.

The list below contains the names of all the players who have qualified thus far for The Masters and their categories of qualification (fair few numbers after Rory's and Jordan's names). At the bottom is past champions who are not playing... Tiger not in that section yet.

http://www.masters.com/en_US/players/invitees_2016.html

Like I said, most significantly he has not said yet he won't play. Now I personally believe he won't, but he clearly isn't prepared to make that call just yet. We can still hope. I mean he wasn't all that bad last year.

Arnold pulls out of making the ceremonial opening drive but hopes to be at the tee to cheer them on....love to see him back next year and fit to tee it up

Sadly Arnie seems to have resigned himself to not being part of the ceremony in future years ...
    I stopped playing in the Masters in 2004, I stopped playing in the Par-3 [Contest] last year, and now it's time to end this part of my Masters career. I would love to go on doing it forever, but I don't have the physical capability to hit the shot the way I would want to hit it. So I'll have to be content to watch.

http://espn.go.com/golf/story/_/id/14977075/arnold-palmer-hit-ceremonial-tee-shot-masters-tournament

If they elect to continue the ceremonial tee-off with three former (multiple) winners, Tom Watson (1977 & 1981) would be next in line

You would have thought Tiger would say if he was playing or not at 9 days out.

https://twitter.com/TheMasters/status/713768265894404096

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭The Rape of Lucretia

The is-he, isnt-he playing, does add some spice to the build up. At least we have that to sustain us for a couple of weeks, before the inevitable downer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,823 ✭✭✭✭First Up

The is-he, isnt-he playing, does add some spice to the build up. At least we have that to sustain us for a couple of weeks, before the inevitable downer.

I presume this is intended as a joke.

It must simply be that obvious that he isn't playing that no statement needs to be made. Has to be that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,982 ✭✭✭Degag

coylemj wrote: »
    Sadly Arnie seems to have resigned himself to not being part of the ceremony in future years ...

http://espn.go.com/golf/story/_/id/14977075/arnold-palmer-hit-ceremonial-tee-shot-masters-tournament

If they elect to continue the ceremonial tee-off with three former (multiple) winners, Tom Watson (1977 & 1981) would be next in line
    Is Watson playing the tournament this year though? (He is in the starting list on Wikipedia)

If so it might be Ben Crenshaw if the same logic is applied?

It must simply be that obvious that he isn't playing that no statement needs to be made. Has to be that.

Well you would think courtesy should dictate that he would declare either way.

Still not on the "past champions not playing" list at the bottom of this link

According to the list of invitees his status is still that, invitee. Same for Watson. Right after the list there's a paragraph 'past champions not playing' and Crenshaw is listed there.

Well you would think courtesy should dictate that he would declare either way.

Still not on the "past champions not playing" list at the bottom of this link

Ye I can't make up my mind what to think about it.

One moment I'm thinking his official golfing status is still 'Back Injury: Unknown Return Date'. And we're all supposed to believe this rather means next year than next month. And in any case why would Tiger be so stupid and make for a hero comeback with the potential ridicule if he starts chipping like me again.

Then on the other hand - what you said - the Masters has that extra status where one would just say either way, out of courtesy.

Is he holding out cos he's really thinking he's close? Or does he just love the drama, milking every bit out of what he is without even playing?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,710 ✭✭✭Speak Now

Tiger could replace Arnie as the ceromonial starter ;)

Degag wrote: »
    Is Watson playing the tournament this year though? (He is in the starting list on Wikipedia)

If so it might be Ben Crenshaw if the same logic is applied?

Correct, I missed the implied qualification (for honorary starter) of being a non-playing former (multiple) winner. Watson is listed under invitees for 2016 suggesting that he will play so Crenshaw (1984 & 1995) would be next in line as he is in the list of 'past champions not playing'......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,424 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

coylemj wrote: »
    Correct, I missed the implied qualification (for honorary starter) of being a non-playing former (multiple) winner. Watson is listed under invitees for 2016 suggesting that he will play so Crenshaw (1984 & 1995) would be next in line as he is in the list of 'past champions not playing'......

Should just let him walk up to the first green and knock a few putts in. Legend.

• Advertisement
Advertisement