Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Masters 2016 Official Thread *READ OP BEFORE POSTING*

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,150 ✭✭✭✭LuckyGent88

Seve OB wrote: »
    He just comes across as a moany git when things aren't going his way.

Fair enough to complain about him on the course. It's absolutely deserved especially with his slow play but absolutely no need for camera to be in his face when he is off the course.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,076 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

Sky saying Spieth is not used to being overtaken like that - he's used to being in charge.....interesting point.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,050 ✭✭✭✭The Talking Bread

Great point, that he had playing partner(s) who he was with comfortable with and had relationship with. Give eachother a boost.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

Oh jebus, the Billy Payne 'Come to Jesus' speech. Barf !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,070 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

Speith needs a new caddy. He made to many silly mistakes over this weekend that a good caddy would have been able to put his arm around his shoulder and guide him better.

:D

• Advertisement

I hate this Butler's cabin stuff. But ye gods, Jordan is looking right grumpy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,495 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Jordan giving Danny the death stare. Must be gutted though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,495 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Jordans face!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,807 ✭✭✭take everything

Amazing coincidences

Danny always says 'we'....never 'I'.......nice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,273 ✭✭✭Gizmo55

This American interview stuff is cringey. Delighted for Danny though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

Amazing coincidences

They really are.

I hate the jacket presentation happening in the cabin. It's so much better, when it happens outside, with the crowd around.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,345 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Jordan nearly had another collapse there!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,495 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Some might remember this tournament as Spieth blowing it big time on Amen Corner, but credit where it's due, that was a fantastic round of golf from Danny Willett, one of the best of the weekend.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,521 ✭✭✭✭mansize

Cringe for Hazel with "Danny Boy, the green jacket is calling..."

Wish that Spieth has actually fully tripped over the chair there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,080 ✭✭✭bigtimecharlie

Spieth's face says it all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,030 ✭✭✭Minderbinder

Fish, chips and mushy peas at next years champions' dinner.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 884 ✭✭✭septictank

Spieth nearly fell over, must be in shock, had it in the palm of his hand.

Fair enough to complain about him on the course. It's absolutely deserved especially with his slow play but absolutely no need for camera to be in his face when he is off the course.

But he wasn't off the course. He was walking off the 18th green.

Agree that sometimes they should back off, but when you are at the top of the rankings like he is, it is part of the package.

He is looking like he has been sucking a lemon in the butlers cabin. I don't expect smiles, but he is coming across like a spoilt grumpy kid

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭Username exists

Fish, chips and mushy peas at next years champions' dinner.

That's what Faldo had one of the years he won it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,495 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Heh, Monty would know about a face like thunder

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,807 ✭✭✭take everything

Interesting piece I read there last week about how Augusta is not the posh place you'd think it is. A lot of deprivation apparently.

I'd normally excuse someone who is 22 and a bit in shock having thrown away something like that in front of millions of viewers and then having to be the one who gave the jacket but Spieths demeanour, his failure to barely look Willet in the eyes and give a smile, however put on it would have been, is very disappointing and unprofessional.

Man up. You are a multi millionaire, at the top of your profession and you just had some bad luck today and this other guy has just reached the pinnacle of his personal carreer. Try to show courtesy and respect by feigning a bit of happiness for him.

ProudDUB wrote: »
    They really are.

I hate the jacket presentation happening in the cabin. It's so much better, when it happens outside, with the crowd around.

I think they do both

Interesting piece I read there last week about how Augusta is not the posh place you'd think it is. A lot of deprivation apparently.

Oh yea, I believe the area around the club is pretty much a dump

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,001 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

All I can say after years of watching every major I can remember is =========

What the ****

was that all about - and Rory , please watch replay and see that you don''t need to force a win on saturday - Lee Westwood was in the mix.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭RedemptionZ

Man up. You are a multi millionaire, at the top of your profession and you just had some bad luck today and this other guy has just reached the pinnacle of his personal carreer. Try to show courtesy and respect by feigning a bit of happiness for him.

He's a guy that's grown up winning everything, just lost the masters and a few minutes later getting interviewed. I mean yeah it'd be great if he was lovely but honestly I'd say he wants to go home and cry in his room. Holding back any emotions is probably a defense mechanism until he's off camera.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

He's a guy that's grown up winning everything, just lost the masters and a few minutes later getting interviewed. I mean yeah it'd be great if he was lovely but honestly I'd say he wants to go home and cry in his room. Holding back any emotions is probably a defense mechanism until he's off camera.
    He came across quite upset in his interview I thought

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,358 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

What the hell do people expect from Spieth? For the love of Christ.

He just blew a Major that he had won, after 4 days of intense play and scrutiny.

He then has cameras in his face, trying to get every reaction from him possible, knowing he has to go and do interviews, being asked stupid questions like ' Do you think you'll look back well on this, seen as you were in the mix for 3rd year running?'. He then knows he has to go into that fúcking cabin and present a jacket that should've been his, to someone else.

So yeah, I'd be pretty tetchy.

I thought he handled himself just fine.

I guanantee none of us would've handled it all any better. Poor lad must want to lock himself away for a week.

I think Spieths image "problem" to many is due to the fact that he is very human and doesnt play to the cameras. He conveys his emotions and they were pretty understandable reactions to be honest.

Nevertheless, needs to control his emotions not just for his professionalism but it could be the only thing that could beat him in the long run as he is one amazing golfer.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,752 ✭✭✭Thepoet85

So much for Rory vs Spieth.

Congrats Danny Willet, it was the exciting end we all wanted, but few expected.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,288 ✭✭✭fatherted1969

Fair play to Speith in what was an incredibly difficult couple of hours for himself. Couldn't have been easy to present Willitt with the jacket. Be interesting to see how he responds to this over the next few months

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,358 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

Is people's problem that he didn't smile at Danny?

The hate is strong with some.

I think he let his emotions show to be honest. No sugar coating how he was feeling. Bar crying, wasnt much more he could do!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭jelutong

Spieth ain't got no class.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,080 ✭✭✭bigtimecharlie

Willet could pass DJ to world no.8

• Registered Users Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭Pierce_1991

God I really hate Spieth, how dare he not laugh and smile after blowing the masters. Complete lack of class. Does he not realise that that cabin is a sacred place. He even had that gawl to nearly fall over a chair. Disgrace.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

Almost as shocking as Leicester winning the title!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,500 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

dan_ep82 wrote: »
    For me it was when he started beating the fairway after a bad shot in 2014 on the Sunday last round
    At 20 years old, in the process of throwing away the masters? Give the lad a break FFS.

• Advertisement

SlickRic wrote: »
    What the hell do people expect from Spieth? For the love of Christ.

He just blew a Major that he had won, after 4 days of intense play and scrutiny.

He then has cameras in his face, trying to get every reaction from him possible, knowing he has to go and do interviews, being asked stupid questions like ' Do you think you'll look back well on this, seen as you were in the mix for 3rd year running?'. He then knows he has to go into that fúcking cabin and present a jacket that should've been his, to someone else.

So yeah, I'd be pretty tetchy.

I thought he handled himself just fine.

I guanantee none of us would've handled it all any better. Poor lad must want to lock himself away for a week.

I said they were normal, human emotional reactions which you would expect
    from anyone in his position but I was hoping for a bit more, just a smile and a handshake when passing the jacket. Thats all.
    I'd expect of myself to show some sort of similar front.

But as I said he is only 22 and a winner. So extremely understandable that he may not have been able to muster up such a gesture. Not shaking his hand at that moment wasn't proper etiquette.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭hefferboi

It's not that hard to ask to show a small bit of sportsmanship to the winner?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

I appreciate this, but he could have had the deceny to shake his hand, let alone look him in the eye.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭Pierce_1991

hefferboi wrote: »
    It's not that hard to ask to show a small bit of sportsmanship to the winner?

Do you think Danny could care less?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,521 ✭✭✭✭mansize

Almost as shocking as Leicester winning the title!

Not really though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

I've never understood this nonsense about sportsmen having to be extremely gracious in defeat and almost happy for the person who beat them.It's completely phony when it does happen.If I lost a massive event I'd be a fairly bad mood afterwards.

There is constant criticism sportsmen when there not honest and hide their emotions and yet they get the same criticism when they show their emotions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,150 ✭✭✭✭LuckyGent88

While it would have been ideal to see them shake hands in the cabin, I'd imagine that Speith had congratulated him off camera just before the ceremony in the cabin.

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭LaGlisse

ProudDUB wrote: »
    They really are.

Why\when did they move the presentation inside. Saw a clip of Faldo being presented with one of his outside and it did look better

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭hefferboi

Do you think Danny could care less?

No I don't. I don't think Speith cares what people think of him either. It would be nice to see a bit of respect after a hard fought 4 days, though. Only a small thing at the end of the day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭ThunderCat

Speith lost the tournament a long time before entering the Butler Cabin. He should have said well done or shook Willetts hand.

• Advertisement
Advertisement