Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Masters 2016 Official Thread *READ OP BEFORE POSTING*

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,067 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

Anyway - just watching it back.

Incredible round by Willett - , I'm not saying there was any luck , but being in a group ahead and not being in the the tournament, is the joy, poor old Westwood and Garcia have never fallen into - but , Willett seems a cocky little fecker , much needed in life at times.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭daithi7

If Rory wanted his putting to bail him out, he would have wanted his driving to be better, finding the bunker off the tee on the 8 for the first 3 days wasn't cutting the mustard. The weekend on the 11th was the killer.

Hmmm, fair enough but the major factor is he just didn't putt near well enough, and this ended up putting pressure on the rest of his game also , which wasn't perfect either.

Even yesterday on the back 9 he played some nice golf but narrowly missed &, lipped it 3 times on the way home. Similarly today, he got close quite a bit but couldn't capitalise on it at all really e.g.16th, missed eagle chance, etc, etc, etc

Unless he improves his putting dramatically I actually don't think he'll ever win a masters, ifthe likes of Spieth are contending cos they'll putt those clinch 6footers and he won't. E.g by the 9th yesterday, McIllroy had taken 10 more putts to date than Spieth, nearly impossible to win in Augusta doing that over 2&1/2 rounds. It needs work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,050 ✭✭✭✭The Talking Bread

I've never understood this nonsense about sportsmen having to be extremely gracious in defeat and almost happy for the person who beat them.It's completely phony when it does happen.If I lost a massive event I'd be a fairly bad mood afterwards.

There is constant criticism sportsmen when there not honest and hide their emotions and yet they get the same criticism when they show their emotions.

Was it too much for him to just shake his hand even? You have to congratulate, commiserate and respect others in life also with certain corteous gestures . Its part of being human, as well as expression your own emotions.

I dont think we can label him as unsportsmanlike though just based on this. Well I wont be anyway.

While it would have been ideal to see them shake hands in the cabin, I'd imagine that Speith had congratulated him off camera just before the ceremony in the cabin.

Yeah, I think we are overthinking it! We give out about the cheesy Butlers Cabin segment calling it fake but when we still want to witness this faux presentation in all its staged imagery!

Give the lad a break he is 22 - imagine yourself at 22 - :eek:

You may punch a brother , want to kill a family member :D

This whole event is fake rubbish - this is why Trump could almost be president.

I'd be more worried about Danny and his selfies to be honest :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,030 ✭✭✭Minderbinder

I think Spieths image "problem" to many is due to the fact that he is very human and doesnt play to the cameras. He conveys his emotions and they were pretty understandable reactions to be honest.

Nevertheless, needs to control his emotions not just for his professionalism but it could be the only thing that could beat him in the long run as he is one amazing golfer.

I don't think he has an image problem. Not in the United States anyway. I find peoples' reactions on here quite strange. They've decided they don't like him and whatever they can use to discredit him is fair game.

I like him as a golfer. After today I like him as a person. The twelfth hole was difficult to watch. Anyone who enjoyed that is pretty sick in the head. He was holding back the tears on 18. Then he was tortured by the media and by having to present the prize to someone else. I felt sorry for him and that endeared him to me more. I think the way he continued fighting after the quadruple bogey was courageous and no one else playing the game today could have continued the fight as well as he did.
    jelutong wrote: »
    Spieth ain't got no class.

So he has class?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,030 ✭✭✭Minderbinder

I'd be more worried about Danny and his selfies to be honest :)

He seems quite attached to his phone. I'd say he never even noticed the tv cameras were in there. His behaviour was a bit strange but in the cabin he spoke well and on the course he was class.

I don't think he has an image problem. Not in the United States anyway. I find peoples' reactions on here quite strange. They've decided they don't like him and whatever they can use to discredit him is fair game.

I like him as a golfer. After today I like him as a person. The twelfth hole was difficult to watch. Anyone who enjoyed that is pretty sick in the head. He was holding back the tears on 18. Then he was tortured by the media and by having to present the prize to someone else. I felt sorry for him and that endeared him to me more. I think the way he continued fighting after the quadruple bogey was courageous and no one else playing the game today could have continued the fight as well as he did.

So he has class?

That is a fair post.

But he has got some characteristics that are not exactly likable.

He is horrendously slow - this is a scourge of the game, acknowledge at EVERY level and by every person who loves the game.

There are many golfers that believe that slow golfers are very selfish people.

Being a bad loser is not a nice trait.

So , I like the lad , but you can't make excuses either.

He is growing up - and when you are growing up you deserve kicks in the arse - no matter who you are.

So I just timed a putt by Spieth - 8 foot - 2 minutes.

Totally and utterly unacceptable, selfish and arsehole like.

Sorry - and that is what 80 % of golfers think.

• Advertisement

So he has class?

I put "problem" in quotation marks for a reason. I'm just acknowledging why some people (and it isnt just on here) may pick up on these things. Personally as my posts indicates i;d put it down to a mixture of youth, being a winner and downright shock and knowing millions are watching you in such a despondent moment. He was literally visibly shaking, almost falling over the chair.
    But personally I, and many others, would have just expected to see a small gesture like a handshake there.

However as someone very rightly said that probably happened off camera! So this debate, if you can call it that, is a bit tedious! (And I'll accept my participation in such tediosity!)

Lets leave it with this funny handshake moment in the Cabin few years ago!!
    Poor Billy Payne!

bubba-watson-handshake.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 4,245 ✭✭✭ClanofLams

daithi7 wrote: »
    Hmmm, fair enough but the major factor is he just didn't putt near well enough, and this ended up putting pressure on the rest of his game also , which wasn't perfect either.

Even yesterday on the back 9 he played some nice golf but narrowly missed &, lipped it 3 times on the way home. Similarly today, he got close quite a bit but couldn't capitalise on it at all really e.g.16th, missed eagle chance, etc, etc, etc

Unless he improves his putting dramatically I actually don't think he'll ever win a masters, ifthe likes of Spieth are contending cos they'll putt those clinch 6footers and he won't. E.g by the 9th yesterday, McIllroy had taken 10 more putts to date than Spieth, nearly impossible to win in Augusta doing that over 2&1/2 rounds. It needs work.

That stat is kind of meaningless without some more context in terms of where they were on the green. Having said that, he's never going to be able to match Spieth''s putting ability just as Spieth will never equal his driving ability.

McIlroy had a four shot lead going into the final round in 2011 so he's got the game to win there obviously but he needs to do everything better than he did this week. He will get it done at some stage I would think, better sooner than later for him though.

Willett birdie par par finish was very impressive for a guy who has never been in contention before. Good point on Sky that playing with Westwood probably helped.

I couldnt believe it wasnt a spoof account!! Loved the "I shared a bath with a Masters winner" tweet!!!

ClanofLams wrote: »
    Good point on Sky that playing with Westwood probably helped.

It was an excellent point. Id be interested to see stats on how playing with someone you are close to you, or even a countryman, may affect your play. Sounds a bit silly but everything makes a difference in such a tense bubble.

Stats for everything now!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,744 ✭✭✭diomed

Danny Willett's Wiki page

European Tour wins (5)
    BMW International Open
    Nedbank Golf Challenge
    Omega European Masters
    Omega Dubai Desert Classic
    Masters Tournament :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,727 ✭✭✭dan_ep82

Thought this was brilliant, must be some few weeks for him with the Masters and the baby

4ZN8G0u.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,080 ✭✭✭bigtimecharlie

Willet could pass DJ to world no.8

Confirmed as world No.9.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

ronnie3585 wrote: »
    I appreciate this, but he could have had the deceny to shake his hand, let alone look him in the eye.

I'm sure that happened off camera before the presentation began. They were obviously in the cabin for a few minutes before the ceremony began when I'm sure there was some awkward hand shaking and congratulations/commiserations.

Now if you can tell me he didn't shake his hand or look him in the eye at all when they were in there, well then you could be onto something.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

It's funny the contrast in how things are reported.

Willet's getting praise for saying "we" when talking about his caddy being part of the team which is good but I was listening to some US radio show this morning and the guy there was complaining about Spieth "throwing his caddy under the bus" for saying "we" when talking about the decisions that were made on 12.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,564 ✭✭✭kiers47

It's funny the contrast in how things are reported.

Willet's getting praise for saying "we" when talking about his caddy being part of the team which is good but I was listening to some US radio show this morning and the guy there was complaining about Spieth "throwing his caddy under the bus" for saying "we" when talking about the decisions that were made on 12.

Spieth always always refers to their participation as "we" whether it be good or bad performances. I wouldnt read to much into it they have a good relationship and are good mates.

• Advertisement

ClanofLams wrote: »
    That stat is kind of meaningless without some more context in terms of where they were on the green. Having said that, he's never going to be able to match Spieth''s putting ability just as Spieth will never equal his driving ability.

McIlroy had a four shot lead going into the final round in 2011 so he's got the game to win there obviously but he needs to do everything better than he did this week. He will get it done at some stage I would think, better sooner than later for him though.

Willett birdie par par finish was very impressive for a guy who has never been in contention before. Good point on Sky that playing with Westwood probably helped.

You make a few good points but y you're still not accepting the o obvious, McIllroy 's putting is simply not good enough to win a masters currently.

He putted so poorly, the stats show that. It wasn't just Spieth who totally out classed him with the putter either, Willet, Casey, Langer and even Westwood are putting far better than he is at the mo. He's giving about 5-6 shots to the field in any major the way he's putting (probably 10 in Augusta as the greens are so slick). That's too much of a handicap that the test of his game has to try to make up for imho.

It's a huge weakness in his game, for many years, that he's tried to address tbf (e.g. grip, change, etc, etc) but he needs more help imho maybe a new putting coach might help here.

Also, though he has been very successful with his caddie to date, it may be time to get a more active caddie who'll help more with green reads, putting lines, etc as he often simply misreads putts which is I inexcusable at his level tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,525 ✭✭✭valoren

Bodes well for the European Ryder Cup team.

Westwood, Casey, Rose, Kjeldsen, Fitzpatrick, McIlroy all finish top 10.

Oh yes and Danny Willett of course :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,076 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

What a night of golf!

It was a pity Spieth didn't shake Danny's hand in the cabin, but not that serious IMO - it's all so contrived anyway, and I hate it. Spieth was gutted, and showed it, which is fair enough, but he articulated very well what went wrong - bad decisions, and he admitted it.

I think Danny will have a lot more wins. He is confident and a little bit cocky, and seems to be a very sound guy. He said he would not play in the Masters if the sprog hadn't arrived by Tuesday - didn't bat an eyelid, saying that there will be other opportunities to play in the Masters.

Sky's point about he importance of being paired with Westwood is a good one IMO. And it is great to see Westwood back to 35 in the world - he climbed 32 places.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,150 ✭✭✭✭LuckyGent88

So I just timed a putt by Spieth - 8 foot - 2 minutes.

Totally and utterly unacceptable, selfish and arsehole like.

Sorry - and that is what 80 % of golfers think.

It's so frustrating that nothing is being done about it and it's barely getting mentioned during the TV coverage. It was hardly just him who was slow but these players will continue to do it until penalties are applied.

Sad that they penalise a 14 year old amateur but didn't have the balls to do it to Speith.

It's so frustrating that nothing is being done about it and it's barely getting mentioned during the TV coverage. It was hardly just him who was slow but these players will continue to do it until penalties are applied.

Sad that they penalise a 14 year old amateur but didn't have the balls to do it to Speith.

Taking his time yesterday was probably justified, but he is always slow and the PGA have had lots of opportunities to do something about it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,813 ✭✭✭CMOTDibbler

vienne86 wrote: »
    Taking his time yesterday was probably justified, but he is always slow and the PGA have had lots of opportunities to do something about it.
    He was put on the clock on Saturday and it affected his game. In that sense, he's taking an advantage by playing slow and measuring out each putt. I saw him mark a putt that was inches from the hole and spend as long lining it up as a twelve footer. Meanwhile DeChambeau with a similar distance left after a long putt, just marched up and knocked it in.

This needs to be dealt with,. Other players knock their putts in and don't spend an age waiting for the wind to drop before taking their shots. It's a decidedly unfair advantage, much more so than just an annoyance for their playing partners and the groups behind them.

Edit: Just saw him on the highlights take a minute and a half on his second shot on the third. Green was clear and the coverage was actually edited plus he was at the ball and swinging his club when they started showing him. There was a cheer from another hole and he backed off while that went on. Then he kept testing the wind and drying his hand on a towel. It was tedious and ridiculous.

Peter Aliss on the beeb was scathing about it.

Spieth was the worst offender, I'm delighted he didn't win for this alone. If he had won again, you'd probably have every half fancied club golfer taking even more of an age over every putt and readdessing the ball for every whiff of breeze, which would be tedious.

On Sunday, Spieths group had fallen 2 clear holes nehind Johnson &Co ahead. He should have been put on the clock. He took nearly 5hours on Saturday to complete a 2 ball with Rory, who plays very quickly. I wouldn't be surprised if all the e waiting around (for his tedious slow partner) got to Rory too, it certainly didn't help!!

To cut this out the other players and caddies need t to start giving out about this to the powers that be, and for action to be taken in it in tournaments imho.

The reality is that it's an advantage to the slow player. Waiting for the wind to die down, frustrating your playing partner and those behind you, taking extra time to analyse your putts and get the line right. As an example, Jim Furyk used it as a weapon when playing againsgt Rory in the WGC matchplay, stepping up to his ball and backing off, re-teeing it, stading at the back of the tee discussing the shot with Fluff before even teeing the ball up. These ploys were all designed to unsettle his opponent, it was so obvious.

It needs to be policed heavily. What the European tour has done is a step in the right direction, but the USPGA don't seem to care,

The reality is that it's an advantage to the slow player. Waiting for the wind to die down, frustrating your playing partner and those behind you, taking extra time to analyse your putts and get the line right. As an example, Jim Furyk used it as a weapon when playing againsgt Rory in the WGC matchplay, stepping up to his ball and backing off, re-teeing it, stading at the back of the tee discussing the shot with Fluff before even teeing the ball up. These ploys were all designed to unsettle his opponent, it was so obvious.

It needs to be policed heavily. What the European tour has done is a step in the right direction, but the USPGA don't seem to care,

What has the European tour done on this??

I think the broadcasters are gonna start giving out. The Masters ran over on the beeb on Saturday night for instance, they just didn't predict the last 2 ball taking nearly 5hours.... Imagine!?

P.s. The crowds could start getting the players to move on, maybe a slow handclap after 2minutes on a shot or something would work best (organisers could just broadcast the time ovee the ball on the course) I think self policing of this slow play trend would work best tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭Deep Thought

Seve OB wrote: »
    How do you engrave a jacket ;)

Doesn't the winner also get a silver replica of the Clubhouse with name and year of win?

The narrower a man’s mind, the broader his statements.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,403 ✭✭✭daisybelle2008

Watched and really enjoyed the Masters, don't know a lot about golf. Can someone explain if Speiths slow playing could have affected Kaufman, who had a poor round? or if Kaufmans poor round could have affected Speiths performance after 10.

Doesn't the winner also get a silver replica of the Clubhouse with name and year of win?
    Yep, this is it:

dd756e613ca0c3c2afae9b8ec0b958cc.jpg

Watched and really enjoyed the Masters, don't know a lot about golf. Can someone explain if Speiths slow playing could have affected Kaufman, who had a poor round? or if Kaufmans poor round could have affected Speiths performance after 10.
    It's very hard to say. If you're prone to nerves, waiting around for ever to take your shot could affect your concentration and getting annoyed with your partner would become a primary focus rather than the shot you're about to take. Eventually. in the fullness of time...

Your partner playing badly could affect you, but imo, not as much. If they're acting out and throwing tantrums, that could affect you though. It ereally depends on the player, but golf is 80% in the mind, so it really depends on the person. It's often the case that you see a group playing badly together and that could well be a factor.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,555 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Yep, this is it:

Tacky as ****

Yep, this is it:

Christ! That's awful!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 528 ✭✭✭ridonkulous

Tacky as ****

You take that back!

daithi7 wrote: »
    Peter Aliss on the beeb was scathing about it.

Spieth was the worst offender, I'm delighted he didn't win for this alone. If he had won again, you'd probably have every half fancied club golfer taking even more of an age over every putt and readdessing the ball for every whiff of breeze, which would be tedious.

On Sunday, Spieths group had fallen 2 clear holes nehind Johnson &Co ahead. He should have been put on the clock. He took nearly 5hours on Saturday to complete a 2 ball with Rory, who plays very quickly. I wouldn't be surprised if all the e waiting around (for his tedious slow partner) got to Rory too, it certainly didn't help!!

To cut this out the other players and caddies need t to start giving out about this to the powers that be, and for action to be taken in it in tournaments imho.

Agree with all of this.

Don't forget on Saturday all the talk was that the wind was dying down towards the end of the day. Handy that Spieth was slow enough to end up 2 holes behind the group ahead wasn't it, meaning he got a couple of extra holes in the calmer conditions.

As Aliss said at the time, it was particularly absurd because Rory is a fast player so it was all down to one man. And it probably affected Rory too, I know it would drive me round the bend!

I think if a player is so slow that they fall two holes behind, particularly when weather conditions are changing for the better, there's a real problem.

valoren wrote: »
    Bodes well for the European Ryder Cup team.

Westwood, Casey, Rose, Kjeldsen, Fitzpatrick, McIlroy all finish top 10.

Oh yes and Danny Willett of course :)

Don't think that is a strong Ryder Cup team at present.

I'd take Spieth over every single one of them - and many other yanks that were nowhere near masters (Reed, Fowler, Sned,Watson), .

Agree with all of this.

Don't forget on Saturday all the talk was that the wind was dying down towards the end of the day. Handy that Spieth was slow enough to end up 2 holes behind the group ahead wasn't it, meaning he got a couple of extra holes in the calmer conditions.

As Aliss said at the time, it was particularly absurd because Rory is a fast player so it was all down to one man. And it probably affected Rory too, I know it would drive me round the bend!

I think if a player is so slow that they fall two holes behind, particularly when weather conditions are changing for the better, there's a real problem.
    What's even more absurd is that they use the technology that's available to them to spot a player grounding his club in a hazard (Zach Johnson), yet they have to send some poor fecker out in a golf cart with a stopwatch to see who's playing slow. And then they do nothing about it other than tell them what they already know. :rolleyes:

A group goes a couple of holes behind, they look at the footage and time each player from that. Then they send the guy out in the cart to tell the offender that they're deducting a stroke.

As I said earlier, the European tour has gone some way to dealing with it but it needs decisive action to stamp it out. As somebody pointed out before the tournament began, there were kids using aimpoint in the drive, chip and putt competitiion. More slow players on the way. :(

• Advertisement

Impossible to say without asking him. But a number of factors come into play at a major.

-Kaufman is exceptionally young, but more to the point inexperienced - he was basically Leicester with no team mates.
    -He was very unlucky being in last group , being in the last group is a big deal as the crowds are bigger , the golfer is bigger, the star is bigger - in many instances it is your fist time actually playing with a hero and in many instances they are a much much better player at their peak.
    -The way spieth would play is very off putting and very frustrating for some, but some can handle this and would not phase them at all - for example , there could be a fire alarm going off and Langer would not notice it or the crowd.
    -Spieth is incredibly brilliant from 130 yards in, as in one of the best ever in the game - so when he is basically playing poor and scoring well - it really makes you question your existence as a golfer :D and you want to go back on the web com tour asap.
    - Kaufman had nothing to do with Spieths downfall , that is just pressure and poor technique. Spieth was not actaully playing well most of the week. It eventually catches up with you.

Joking point on wanting to go back to web tour, but basically it is experience and balls - sadly with some even after years of experience they look they they don't have the head or balls.

What's even more absurd is that they use the technology that's available to them to spot a player grounding his club in a hazard (Zach Johnson), yet they have to send some poor fecker out in a golf cart with a stopwatch to see who's playing slow. And then they do nothing about it other than tell them what they already know. :rolleyes:

A group goes a couple of holes behind, they look at the footage and time each player from that. Then they send the guy out in the cart to tell the offender that they're deducting a stroke.

As I said earlier, the European tour has gone some way to dealing with it but it needs decisive action to stamp it out. As somebody pointed out before the tournament began, there were kids using aimpoint in the drive, chip and putt competitiion. More slow players on the way. :(

Well said - 2 minutes on an 8 foot putt ( I timed it) - fine in a major for a few million (i guess) - but it means I have to watch every hero mid handicap want to be Spieth player add 1 hour to my life every weekend - then hands on hips in wonderment how a pull broke the wrong way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 501 ✭✭✭d2ww

Is there a fixed time that a player has, to take a shot in though?

What's even more absurd is that they use the technology that's available to them to spot a player grounding his club in a hazard (Zach Johnson), yet they have to send some poor fecker out in a golf cart with a stopwatch to see who's playing slow. And then they do nothing about it other than tell them what they already know.

(

That's a very good point. They are so finicky about the grounding rule - fair enough - and so lax about the timing. In this day and age, that's ridiculous.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭HighLine

d2ww wrote: »

Don't think so - but the game needs one.

Under 1 minute for every putt a good start ?
    Then could be 90 seconds for 2
    2 minutes for 3

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

and many other yanks that were nowhere near masters (Reed, Fowler, Sned,Watson), .
    Only Reed out of that group would worry me tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,084 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

twit from Dannys brother
    Spieth is lining up his putt. If I'm quick I can get a beer, go to the toilet, and paint the spare room b4 he hits it.
    #TheMasters #bbcgolf

• Registered Users Posts: 4,536 ✭✭✭Dolph Starbeam

Happy to see Willett win, yesterdays round was almost flawless, Spieth did well to even be in the position he was with 9 holes rmaining because he just never looked comfortable all week.

I'll say it now, I hate slow play, but I think the criticism directed towards Spieth is way overboard. He is playing within the rules. It is all up to the referee's at the end of the day, I definitely think Spieth should have been put on the clock but the blame should be directed towards the referee's, who like a previous poster mentioned, they had no problem penalising a 14 year old amateur, but they won't darer penalise Spieth or any other top pro. And even though Spieth is very slow he is far from the only one. If anyone has actually been to tour events you will know that a lot of players are this slow, we just don't noramlly see it because pretty much all of the coverage is recorded or the cameras only switch to the player as they are about to play the shot. Where as when the cameras are following the leading player the cameras will be live and will follow everything that they do.

For people blaming Spieths slow play on McIlroy and Kaufman having poor rounds, all I can say is that that is a total BS excuse. These players are used to playing incredibly slow rounds every week, and even with Spieths slow play it probably would have been quicker than playing in a 3-ball like they are used to. End of the day Rory did not play well and that cannot be blamed on Spieth at all.

Massive positives for the Ryder Cup, great showing by the Europeans.

It's an amazing time for golf, so many top class players capable of winning majors. Roll on the US Open.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,536 ✭✭✭Dolph Starbeam

vienne86 wrote: »
    That's a very good point. They are so finicky about the grounding rule - fair enough - and so lax about the timing. In this day and age, that's ridiculous.

That's probably because grounding the club is a clear simple rule. Where as slow play is up to he rules officials, there isn't a set time limit that I know of.

d2ww wrote: »
    On a lot of golf courses there's a suggested time for the front nine and the back nine printed on the scorecard. In professional golf there's nothing like this as you could be held up by a lost ball ahead of you etc. That can add five minutes to a hole and knock the timings out significantly. What they normally look at is where you are in relation to the group in front. If the gap widens and there are no extraneous fators like a lost ball or balls or some other genuine hold up, the player(s) get put on the clock.

Interestingly, Jordan Spieth was the first professional to be put on a 'mionitoring penalty' under the European Tour's new rules on slow play. Under that rule you get 40 seconds to take your shot (or 50 if you're up first). Spieth didn't get the penalty in the end (three grand, I think) because they went off the clock at the finish of the hole. This quote from Riory McIlroy made me smile:
    “It was weird,” he said. “I was surprised Jordan got a bad time on a putt when the guys behind weren’t even approaching their balls back on the fairway. Sometimes we need to apply some common sense, especially when we are not out of position. It’s not like Jordan is a slow player.”
    He might not be saying that now... :D

• Advertisement
Advertisement