Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Masters 2016 Official Thread *READ OP BEFORE POSTING*

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 195 ✭✭yipsnomore

Its well accepted that the par5's are key around Augusta. Spieth played them in around 12 under last year with no eagles! Something like 28 birdies and only one double.

However last year McIlroy was -13 on the 5's. Another telling stat was he only only had one double I think. Beyond the par5's though the other key holes for McIlroy are 10, 11, 12. Prior to last year he was up to 20 over par on these three over his career. Last year he played them in -1.

Overall if McIlroy can get to -10 on the par5's. Avoid doubles and break even on 10-12 he will be close. Easier said than done!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,114 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

He has yet to prove he is not one of the biggest chokers in the game.

Exactly!

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,722 ✭✭✭posturingpat

Exactly wrote: »
    He has yet to prove he is not one of the biggest chokers in the game.

Last week did nothing to alay those doubts either, had every chance on the last day being a shot behind a journeyman and he proceeded to get his place as usual without winning, mentally fragile for sure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭Loire

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

Loire wrote: »

Comes across as one of the most genuinely likable characters in world sport even if his little pre-shot routine does bug me for some strange reason.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,159 ✭✭✭benny79

Nice read, On that note he is a very slow player don't get me wrong! He's one of my favourite players just wondering how come he doesn't get penalised. I take it he must be in the allocated time frame.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,001 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,150 ✭✭✭✭LuckyGent88

Pretty class that justin Thomas and rickie fowler got hole in ones in a row there in the par 3. Pretty nuts. Poor Speith lost a fair bit of money

Get in

Hole in one for Gary player, 80 years of age #legend

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭Benny Cake

Am I the only one sick to the arse of looking at Player & Nicklaus at the par 3 year after year? And again at the ceremonial tee off again tomorrow...

• Advertisement

What's with the caddys wearing boiler suits?

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

Tyson Fury wrote: »

Always the same. The masters have some very strange rules and customs. Most of them come across as very asr€y but they probably do go some way to making the competition special.

• Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭Running Balance

Benny Cake wrote:
    Am I the only one sick to the arse of looking at Player & Nicklaus at the par 3 year after year? And again at the ceremonial tee off again tomorrow...

Not to mention the commentators brown nosing them..

not sure if rickie is going to be too happy with butch after saying the boiler suit on his sister caddying was a bit tight!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,042 ✭✭✭zl1whqvjs75cdy

Don't mind the par 3 but jesus these interviews after are inane.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Jayop wrote: »
    Comes across as one of the most genuinely likable characters in world sport even if his little pre-shot routine does bug me for some strange reason.

A colleague of mine lives in North Berwick and rents out his house whenever the Open is on in Muirfield and gets out of dodge. A few years back when it was on there last, it was a Sports Management agency crowd that rented it, 4 lads apparently.
    Came back and said there was a note saying the rubbish was out by the bins and there open black big has some gear in it if he wanted it or knew anyone that played golf. The note was from Day, had his shirts, 2 jumpers but most importantly of all the Open badge they wear on their caps. Kept that and the Adizeros, gave the rest away.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,710 ✭✭✭Speak Now

Benny Cake wrote: »

It's the only thing I find interesting about the par 3 tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭HighLine

Couldn't disagree more. It's a bow to the past remembering these legends of the game and what they have collectively achieved at Augusta. It's a tradition based on respect.

As soon as the real business begins tomorrow morning, the focus will rightfully be on the present and you won't have to worry about being sick at looking at 2 men who have 10 Masters titles between them and one of which just had an ace tonight... at 80.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭Letree

Always the same. The masters have some very strange rules and customs. Most of them come across as very asr€y but they probably do go some way to making the competition special.

Not allowing full TV coverage of all 4 i'll never understand. It is a massive tournament for golfers everywhere and many non golfers. Why not show it all. The demand is there.

Letree wrote: »
    Not allowing full TV coverage of all 4 i'll never understand. It is a massive tournament for golfers everywhere and many non golfers. Why not show it all. The demand is there.

I'm pretty certain I've had a huge rant about that somewhere here before. Maybe in the McIlroy thread on one of the last few years ones. Yeah it's a pure balls that they don't show the whole thing live. I know you can tune in for Amen corner and to watch selected groups but that's crap compared to watching the thing properly.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,513 ✭✭✭seanhynes

The us open /PGA coverage isn't as comprehensive as the British either seems to be the way with the American majors red button job on selected holes until the evening time in Europe

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,070 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

I think It was only about the late 80's or so when players were actually allowed bring their own caddies. Augusta used to provide the caddies. Players would usually hook up with the same caddy year after year. I think the last of those caddies retired last year if I'm not mistaken.
    Get a grip will ya, its only a bit of fun today and tradition tomorrow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,813 ✭✭✭CMOTDibbler

Seve OB wrote: »
    I think It was only about the late 80's or so when players were actually allowed bring their own caddies. Augusta used to provide the caddies. Players would usually hook up with the same caddy year after year. I think the last of those caddies retired last year if I'm not mistaken.
    They stopped providing caddies in 1982.

seanhynes wrote: »
    The us open /PGA coverage isn't as comprehensive as the British either seems to be the way with the American majors red button job on selected holes until the evening time in Europe

Even in the US you can't get coverage of the early starters in the Masters. It's just a local rule that the masters have for themselves.

Get a grip will ya, its only a bit of fun today and tradition tomorrow.
    They stopped providing caddies in 1982.

Great trivia lads.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,859 ✭✭✭alxmorgan

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭Webbs

HighLine wrote: »
    Interesting how a lot of the players are saying that currently, the greens are as fast as they have ever seen them. That could be interesting given the forecasted winds from Thursday - Saturday.

Surprised no one is really mentioning Zach Johnson. Looked really good in the matchplay and the year he won the Masters, the weather was also fairly muck!

Weather that year was not only windy and wet but far colder than normal. Meant the par 5s in general were not as easily reached so the wedge play became a real battle, playing into Johnsons strong part of his game

Cant see that happening this year as temps are around normal even if the course is a little softer then they would like.

The day has arrived.
    Like a kid in a sweet shop :D

First tee off is 13.20 sky coverage starts at 8, the masters has arrived wahaay

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

sorry if i missed this, can anyone clarify what exactly i can watch over the next 4 days? online and otherwise. thanks!

• Advertisement

First tee off is 13.20 sky coverage starts at 7, the masters has arrived wahaay

Same as 2 other majors so. Lots of coverage before that though (also, it will be 8pm before full live coverage starts)

https://twitter.com/SkySportsGolf/status/717973976992124928

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,345 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

First tee off is 13.20 sky coverage starts at 7, the masters has arrived wahaay

Live coverage 8pm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,742 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

HighLine wrote: »
    Same as 2 other majors so. Lots of coverage before that though (also, it will be 8pm before full live coverage starts)

https://twitter.com/SkySportsGolf/status/717973976992124928

US Open definitely has all day coverage. Masters coverage pales in comparison to the US and British Opens.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,710 ✭✭✭Speak Now

AdamD wrote: »
    US Open definitely has all day coverage. Masters coverage pales in comparison to the US and British Opens.

To be fair the fields are nearly twice as big for the 2 Opens.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,823 ✭✭✭✭First Up

I think its disgraceful that there is no live coverage yet. It is after 05.30 in Augusta. Surely there is some grass being cut (or at least growing) that we could be watching?

sorry if i missed this, can anyone clarify what exactly i can watch over the next 4 days? online and otherwise. thanks!

drama and excitement. oh and some golf :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,823 ✭✭✭✭First Up

drama and excitement. oh and some golf :)

Don't forget the iced flowers, dyed ponds and reverential music.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,529 ✭✭✭irishgeo

First Up wrote: »
    I think its disgraceful that there is no live coverage yet. It is after 05.30 in Augusta. Surely there is some grass being cut (or at least growing) that we could be watching?

They cut the grass the from green to tee. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

Apart from the golf, I'm looking forward to Saturday and Sunday when I don't have to listen to Ewen Murray drone on and on. I wonder what clangers Peter Alliss has been cooking up since the Open!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,564 ✭✭✭kiers47

CfbrUVRWwAA7gZX.jpg:large

Pretty funny this. From the PP twitter account

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

First Up wrote: »
    I know what you are talking about but please don't encourage them. Thanks :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,424 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

The day has arrived.
    Like a kid in a sweet shop :D

I totally "mis-read" that as sweat shop....

Rikand wrote: »
    I totally "mis-read" that as sweat shop....

that would be the guys in the boiler suits :D

Going to be gusty this afternoon... will be great watching the carnage :D

https://twitter.com/JasonSobelESPN/status/718034247701950464

• Closed Accounts Posts: 195 ✭✭yipsnomore

Advantage morning starters

Any forecast for tomorrow?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

Not a good forecast for McIlroy.

Early starters will probably have softer conditions and lighter winds. It's advantage Spieth.

not good
    WIND ADVISORY REMAINS IN EFFECT UNTIL 8 PM EDT THIS EVENING...

* TIMING...UNTIL 8 PM.

* WINDS...WEST WINDS 20 TO 30 MPH WITH GUSTS NEAR 45 MPH. THE
    STRONGER GUSTS WILL OCCUR MAINLY DURING THE AFTERNOON.

* IMPACTS...THE STRONG WINDS MAY DOWN WEAK TREES OR CAUSE WEAK LIMBS
    TO BREAK. MOTORISTS...ESPECIALLY THOSE DRIVING VANS...CAMPERS...
    TRAILERS AND OTHER HIGH PROFILE VEHICLES...SHOULD EXERCISE
    CAUTION. TAKE ACTION TO SECURE OUTSIDE...LIGHT-WEIGHT OBJECTS
    SUCH AS TRASH CANS AND LAWN FURNITURE. IT WILL BE DANGEROUS ON
    AREA LAKES.

PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS...

THIS WIND ADVISORY MEANS THAT WIND GUSTS AROUND 45 MPH ARE
    EXPECTED.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,843 ✭✭✭Panrich

h_pinsheet_round1.jpg

Does anyone know what the green bars/boxes mean?

Panrich wrote: »
    h_pinsheet_round1.jpg

Does anyone know what the green bars/boxes mean?

It says on the bottom each tee tick represents 5 yards

Good man Jim Herman birdies the first!

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,564 ✭✭✭kiers47

Good man Jim Herman birdies the first!

Thats gas, Wouldnt it be some story.

Interesting one. Karl McGinty was saying on Off The Ball last night that McIlroy has never birdied the first in 26(i think) attempts.

• Advertisement
Advertisement